Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1587321 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14625 on: June 04, 2018, 09:02:28 am »

I think I'll admit defeat and stop playing this game for a while.

I've lost too many wellarmed and armours crawlians to either bullshit or inattention.

I am tired of playing dungeon levels 1-9. It's so tedious.

my winrate hovers around 1% or so.

my least favorite enemies are:
4) shining Floating eyes because unavoidable paralysis that bypasses MR.

3) anything that drains skills.
2) anything that corrodes, especially chaos weavers.
these two suck because they quickly strip you of everything you've built through tedious, long work.

1)and finally, the worst of all: bats. plain old, ordinary, useless bats.
I hate these worst of all because they increase the tedium, and are one of the most common enemies. I could ignore them completely with any character wearing scale mail or higher, but you still have to deal with them if you want to autoloot or autoexplore. And spending rounds chasing them (or yeah, backing into a hallway and doing the step back-stab, step back, stab, thing) is booooooooring. And they are one of the first things you experience AFTER your latest rage inducing, utter disappointment.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:02:09 am by Ozarck »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14626 on: June 04, 2018, 09:09:56 am »

did they bring back permanent corrosion? i thought it was only temporary. havent played in a couple years thuogh.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14627 on: June 04, 2018, 09:31:42 am »

still temporary, but it can stack up pretty quickly, even with rCorr.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: June 08, 2018, 05:02:46 am »

Best malmutate ever.

I come to Zot:1 with my DsFE, with a few "good" mutations, obtained thanks to a lucky mutation potion. (+4 Str, +Blink but -2 Dext).
I kill the other monsters (potentially more dangerous), and come back to Depths 5 to heal before attacking it. I see I have a lot of malmutate, and use 2 mut potions (of 14).
I now have horns 1, Blink, clarity, and Str +2.
And this is where the fun begins.

During the fight against the OoF, he "malmutated" me 2 times.

First : mutation resistance rank 1
Second : mutation resistance rank 2

:)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14629 on: June 08, 2018, 07:00:33 am »

I've lost too many wellarmed and armours crawlians to either bullshit or inattention.

4) shining eyes because unavoidable paralysis that bypasses MR.

these two suck because they quickly strip you of everything you've built through tedious, long work.

I hate these worst of all because they increase the tedium, and are one of the most common enemies. I could ignore them completely with any character wearing scale mail or higher, but you still have to deal with them if you want to autoloot or autoexplore. And spending rounds chasing them (or yeah, backing into a hallway and doing the step back-stab, step back, stab, thing) is booooooooring. And they are one of the first things you experience AFTER your latest rage inducing, utter disappointment.
I typically just use autofight to kill bats if my character is a fighter since they aren't a real threat. As long as you don't just hold it down there isn't a real risk of something coming from offscreen and murdering you, and it *is* much faster then chasing them normally.
(I also use autofight against a ton of stuff that I shouldn't use autofight for often without checking my health, but against plain bats it should be fine)
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: June 15, 2018, 02:43:26 pm »

Making sure you have a good rcfile is key to avoiding tedium and not risking death - you can set autofight to stop at 50% health for instance.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14631 on: June 16, 2018, 09:21:55 am »

Those would be floating eyes, and I lost my best character last week to one while stair-dancing:

It was extra harsh because I was doing the no-items challenge.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: June 17, 2018, 01:18:20 am »

Those would be floating eyes, and I lost my best character last week to one while stair-dancing:

It was extra harsh because I was doing the no-items challenge.

Why do you not appear to have armor equipped? (I'm assuming no-items is potions, scrolls, wands, misc activateds, etc.)

Also, Titanic Slime Creature? That's an invitation for a beating, even for a post-game meleer. I start retreating at their third merge and go into emergency mode at the sight of a fourth if I haven't established a clear way out. Not
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: July 21, 2018, 03:35:01 am »

what's autofight? I typically just manually walk into each enemy I want to attack once per attack? is there a better way?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: July 21, 2018, 11:31:56 am »

Autofight  (which you use by pressing tab) is exactly what it says on the tin, a way for melee characters to fight automatically. Pressing the key will a) move you closer to the nearest enemy, or b) if you are in melee range hit them with a single attack. Holding it down will do this very rapidly until you let go, everything in LOS is dead, or your health is below a specified amount (which if you don't change it manually, is typically low that you can die before it starts to warn you).

This is far faster then fighting regularly especially against fast and evasive enemies (like bats) or against low numbers of trivial enemies (like agroup of plain orcs in the mines), but for obvious reasons if you are not careful in using it it can easily result in your death in circumstances that otherwise wouldn't have a chance at killing you.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: July 21, 2018, 12:41:32 pm »

True. Tab fighting is only slightly better than pushing the direction-key toward the monster, like "him or me".
After lvl-10, don't tab monsters unless it's only gray.

(or, otherwise, you can just keep dying)

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: July 21, 2018, 08:29:48 pm »

.22 tournament announced.  Signup for our bay 12 teams!!! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171462.0
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:47:13 pm by Tegga21 »

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: July 21, 2018, 08:30:45 pm »

4) shining Floating eyes because unavoidable paralysis that bypasses MR.

Tab and O are your friend if D1-9 are tedius

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: July 22, 2018, 03:06:02 pm »

This is far faster then fighting regularly especially against fast and evasive enemies (like bats) or against low numbers of trivial enemies (like agroup of plain orcs in the mines), but for obvious reasons if you are not careful in using it it can easily result in your death in circumstances that otherwise wouldn't have a chance at killing you.

I'm pretty sure I can populate an entire Valhalla with axe/sword characters who have died to hydras, before I started flagging them. A second place winner is probably against mixed groups with things that can corrode...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: July 23, 2018, 03:50:24 am »

After my 10th win on nearly 500 games (i'm getting better for the last 100 games), here is what I can say about what you have NOT to do in this game and what make me (still) loose, again, and again :

- Attacking a "red" monster without a strategy (luring him in a corridor, drinking a potion, invoke allies, using a god), and on top of this, without knowing/thinking about its weaknesses and strength. Ogres can be paralysed by wands, most monsters can be feared, and keep your holy word scrolls in case of curse skulls (for example).

- If you used stairs because you were outnumbered, coming back from where you fled is not a good idea. Come back from elsewhere, and shout to attract them.

- Attacking corroding monsters at point blank when they are several. Corroding monsters are very dangerous. Titanic slime is one of the deadliest mob here. It can one-shot you.

- Trying to rush when you're below 60% hp. As soon as you are under 60% it's an emergency. You can die from ANY non-predictable event. Unless you will die when fleeing or have a single monster with 10% life, flee.

- Having a "-" element resistance after D:10 (and Lair) because it gives you a better weapon/rinf of ice-fire, or things like this. More generally, taking a considerable risk for a small buff. You can win slowly, you can flee, retry, etc...you can only die once, and it's always the end of the story, then.

- A small useful advise. Don't keep so many unidentified scrolls/potions. As soon as you have many of them and can see which one is the identify scroll, use ALL of them to identify potions/scrolls, at least to find the most important one. When the time comes, you will be happy to know which one can save you, and which one is the f****** degeneration potion or scroll of noise.

- Considering you are not so well stuffed, and, well, you'll do better next time. Not caring of your character. THERE IS NO GAME YOU CAN'T WIN (proof : there are streaks). There is only lack of knowledge, lack of patience, lack of care. I lost a lot of lucky heros, with experience potions, very strong artifacts or good spells in the first lvls. You can never know what lies in the next corridor. Being stronger and finding good stuff early is also a trap : because it's easier, you will take more risks. So : be methodical, don't waste your character because the first levels were disapointing. (actually, i never won with a lucky hero)

- Last, but not least. CONSIDERING that the situation doesn't worth using potions/scroll/wands. I mean. You could fill oceans of health potions from the dead heros who thought they weren't useful for this moment and cover the entire earth with scrolls of blinking/teleport unused. Thoughts like "oh, come on, i won't spoil a potion, it's NEARLY DEAD, it's just a small risk..." are one of the most stupidest things i still do.
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 990