Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1586793 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2009, 07:15:19 pm »

Important fact: Kikubaaqudgha will accept corpses as sacrifices if you sacrifice them on one of his altars. Otherwise, he won't take them.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2009, 10:49:05 pm »

any good tips on how not to starve? I'm constantly running out of food(unless I'm playing a troll, of course)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2009, 10:52:35 pm »

any good tips on how not to starve? I'm constantly running out of food(unless I'm playing a troll, of course)

Butchering corpses works if you can eat meat, but it isn't very filling.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2009, 11:34:20 am »

Graah!  I died on floor 7 because of poison and I used all my healing pots.
So I recreated the exact same character but went what's-his-name with the decks of cards for a god instead and I'm doing better then I've ever done before.
I love me a good MDPa now.
EDIT: Grah!  Last possible place on D:7 and my old ghost shows up and rapes me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:50:55 am by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2009, 12:27:53 pm »

Nemelex Xobeh.  I'm surprised every time I manage to remember how to spell that.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2009, 12:42:49 pm »

Aww man, that guy hates me. I just lost three halfling thieves without even getting to his altar. I only saw the stairway to the Temple once, and it was walled in with those glass blocks. And I was stockpiling enchanted armour for sacrifice.

BTW, is it just me or are ogres ridiculously accurate? I can dodge everything, but those bastards hit me every single time.

Also, is it just my imagination or am I stealthier with daggers than with short swords? And are robes more stealthy than leather armour?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2009, 12:49:31 pm »

Yeah, robes are more stealthy than armor. The heavier the armor, the less stealthy.

And I can reliably dodge ogres with quicker characters (halflings, spriggans, etc).

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2009, 01:52:59 pm »

Makes sense. Is it the same with weapons? I had a +2 +3 dwarfish sabre of venom that I barely used because it seemed to me that sneaking is easier with a dagger.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2009, 02:07:17 pm »

I don't think so. I do know that daggers are more powerful when used for sneak attacks than most weapons.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2009, 02:54:33 pm »

Okay, now for a mummy priest.  The dude was a friggin' beast.  Ventured deep into the elven halls.  Only to find that with elves,  even the greatest hero falls.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Breakdown:  Yredelemnul will provide you with a massive army that can be restocked just about anywhere, especially if you don't need corpses for food or favor.  Once you get powerful enough, drain life will snag a huge chunk of health out of every enemy nearby and give half of it to you.  I could destroy an entire party of elves in a couple hits, especially when aided by my minions (formed not only from the elven corpses, but also from gifts of ghouls, rotting hulks and wraiths from good old Yreddie).  The only problem was the favor cost, which ended up running out just when I really needed it.

Also, finding tons of weapon-enchanting scrolls is tons of fun.  Bumping a +0, +0 staff up to a +5, +6 with them probably wasn't the wisest course of action, but it was fun.  And that's also how I found out what those scrolls did, so it was already halfway enchanted when I found out.

Final note:  Goddamn elves.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2009, 03:33:14 pm »

Yeah, about the elves. They're one more thing you have to run away from in Crawl.

Even with characters that have cleared the whole Lair and got on level 20 of the dungeon, I haven't been confident enough to face the elves. Even though it seems like they're an extension to the Orcish Mines, it really isn't so. They're quite confusingly placed as they're way more challenging than many other branches. One might even say that unless you're well over level 20, you have no chance to clear the Elven Halls.

So, as a general rule of thumb, when you find the Elven Halls, don't go down the stairs, but retreat to the dungeon and keep descending that instead.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:37:54 pm by LASD »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2009, 05:52:32 pm »

Does anybody know what happens if you evaporate a potion of blood?  Probably just steam, but seems like an interesting experiment.

Another tip:  The demonspawn's innate mutations really do it for Xom.  They're basically guaranteed favor with the big dude.  I don't know about other creatures (skin toughening for various races, and color change for draconians), but I know that demonspawn have that nice little boost when worshiping Xom.

I'm trying to figure out which gods are really worth worshiping...  Lugonu is tricky, since it doesn't really give you anything nice aside from tickets out of the Abyss, but that's kind of a moot point since I've never seen any characters make it that far before.

Blessing a weapon with the warp might be nice, but that requires a hell of a lot of favor since it's the last gift (so far as I know).  Corruption might be fun, but doesn't it spawn a ton of nasty monsters that then try to kill you?

Elyvilon just seems useless to me...

I'm gonna try a minotaur warrior devoted to Okawaru to see what he has to offer.  I'll also test out a priest of Zin to see how preaching works, and then I'm off to try and get high levels of favor with Lugonu.  Probably through a mummy.

EDIT:  You know what would be really cool?  If you could harm spellcasters by using Trog's "burn spellbook" ability.  Light their books on fire, get favor from Trog, and maybe do a little damage while you're at it.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2009, 06:27:39 pm »

Okawaru is pretty good. He actually helps you out a lot, even if you don't need the powers he grants you:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've never really had Xom screw me over or anything. Usually, it's all "HERE HAVE AN APPLE IT IS MY GIFT TO YOU" and stuff. Elyvelion's pretty good too, actually. Destroying weapons for favor is great, and healing is really useful.

Actually, I think that the only god I'm really unimpressed with is Makhleb. Trog is already the angry god and he does a better job. I don't think I've ever really gotten anything out of following Makhleb.

That thing about harming spellcasters with Trog's Burn Books thing is a great idea, in my opinion. They should make it so spellcasters sometimes drop a spellbook, too.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:36:59 pm by inaluct »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2009, 06:46:54 pm »

Actually, I think that the only god I'm really unimpressed with is Makhleb. Trog is already the angry god and he does a better job. I don't think I've ever really gotten anything out of following Makhleb.

Makhleb grants you powers like Summon Demon, offensive spells, and demonic minions as gifts.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2009, 07:04:54 pm »

how do you get a spriggan or any spellcaster to survive till even the ecumenical temple? i always die by level 3 :-\.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 990