Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1603222 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2009, 07:30:09 pm »

Actually, I think that the only god I'm really unimpressed with is Makhleb. Trog is already the angry god and he does a better job. I don't think I've ever really gotten anything out of following Makhleb.

Makhleb grants you powers like Summon Demon, offensive spells, and demonic minions as gifts.

Xom summons friendly demons for you, Trog lets you summon two headed ogres, Kikubaaqudgha lets you summon reapers, and Lugonu lets you abyssify parts of a level. And Xom doesn't even require you to sacrifice corpses. I guess I've just had bad luck with Makhleb.

Dragooble, try playing as a Spriggan Assassin. Just sneak up on and stab everything. When you see something you can't kill in melee (hound, ogre, orc warrior) shoot curare tipped needles at them. Run away from things. If you'd rather just stab stuff, but still have a challenge, play a thief of almost any race.

Try a naga if you want to play a survival horror game where you hide from monsters instead of actually running up and killing them. The have the highest stealth of any race in the game, spit poison, and move slowly.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2009, 08:12:05 pm »

i just want to be able to play a midget that can obliterate everything by batting an eyebrow;D. looking at some of the spellbooks in this game, spellcasters seem to fit this bill.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2009, 08:36:07 pm »

I picked random race and ended up as a Naga conjurer. :(
Not suited to my playing style AT ALL. I believe I died on the second level.
Previously I was a minotaur berserker, but that ended badly when I met an Ogre, with no helpful spells or potions on me, and hungry so I couldn't beserk.
Ill see if i can random me up a good character.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2009, 08:47:02 pm »

This just in: nagas coil in front of altars. Also, I think I'll try a naga conjurer now.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2009, 09:08:02 pm »

anybody knows what are those Zot runes for?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2009, 09:15:04 pm »

You need them to get into The Realm of Zot, the last dungeon branch.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2009, 09:31:00 pm »

I believe you require 3 out of a possible ~16, and once you have those can enter the realm of zot from dungeon level 27. The Orb of Zot is on the 5th level of the realm of zot. I know this despite never getting beyond dungeon lvl 5 ;D

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2009, 01:03:07 am »

Okay, so yeah, I can't play naga conjurers. Next time I try, I'm gonna pick the ice book. Not having Mephitic Cloud is probably what killed me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2009, 01:28:37 am »

See, I had a superior weapon and armour to that, but my first spell was that one (forgot the name) that illuminates them to make them easier to hit. Slightly luckier with my second spell, ensorcelled hibernation, then I got Mephitic Cloud, which helped me none at all. Then again, I'm a noob.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:14 am »

Oh man, I'm playing my best character ever. Gange Millows the Nibmle, a level 12 halfling of Nemelex Xobeh, who started as a thief. I've got AC 13 and evasion 28, thanks to an artefact ring. Nothing but those pesky electric eels can hit me reliably.

I got two decks of escape, a deck of destruction, a deck of summonings and a deck of defence. My main weapon was a +4 +3 short sword of electrocution, but now I've found a +6 +4 scimitar Hymibi that does extra damage, protects me from fire and enhances my eyesight. Just what I need for a certain fire drake I ran from. Well, either that or my trusty sling of frost.

I'm also learning magic, and it's going surprisingly quickly. I got spellcasting at 4 and fire magic at 2, and when I raise those two a bit more I'm going to learn fireball. In the meantime, I have a wand of fireball, as well as three wands of fire, two wands of cold and a wand of polymorph other (which is absolute murder on the uniques because it effectively strips them of equipment). Speaking of magic, blink + blowgun is insanely powerful.

Anyway, I wonder what this one will succumb to. I got plenty of means to escape (aforementioned decks plus 11 scrolls of teleport, and I'll be learning the teleport spell soon), so I don't see anything pinning me down long enough to kill me. The only thing that scares me right now is Abyss. Let's hope there aren't any orcs running around with weapons of distortion like the last time I got sent there. I've been to Abyss several times in my career, and I've never gotten out of it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2009, 10:32:11 am »

I got several weapons of distortion from Torg, but always discarded them. What do they do?

Also, is there a way to tell draconian skin-colour before lvl7? or a way to control/change it?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »

Distortion.  Not half bad, if you ask me.

By the way Inaluct, that message isn't from Okawaru.  You get that naturally after you've trained up Traps 'n' Doors a couple levels.

Makhleb seems rather dull to me...  I don't think he gives gifts, and the only other benefits he provides are summoning and destruction spells.  Slightly bland.

Speaking of abyssifying, has anyone actually gotten it to work?  My latest attempt at a Lugonuian ended rather pathetically.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2009, 05:37:25 pm »

Turns out it was Naga Enchanter, not conjurer. First spell was Corona.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2009, 07:23:14 pm »

Yeah, I figured it was an enchanter when you described Corona. I've never actually played an enchanter seriously, so I don't have any tips. You might want to try a naga wizard, if you are amused by the thought of a medusa-thing slithering around wearing a wizard hat and killing kobolds. Mephitic Cloud poisons and confuses, which makes it superbly useful. I ended up dying because I wasn't fast enough to get away from that orc warrior and I couldn't kill it before it got to me. If I had had Mephitic Cloud, I could have confused it and stabbed the crap out of it mercilessly. Nagas are poison resistant, so I could have just used the cloud and kept stabbing without repercussion.

So, Traps and Doors has messages like that? Huh.

I've gotten a human chaos knight to abyssify The Ecumenical Temple before. I'll try and do some abyssifying again so I can show you guys a character dump of it in progress. I think ! is to take a living character and make a chardump.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2009, 07:26:43 pm »

I completely suck at this game, and despite my preference for playing wizardy characters, I am better as a warrior. So I'm going for a mountain dwarf fighter.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 990