Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1603213 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2009, 08:22:25 pm »

See, I had a superior weapon and armour to that, but my first spell was that one (forgot the name) that illuminates them to make them easier to hit. Slightly luckier with my second spell, ensorcelled hibernation, then I got Mephitic Cloud, which helped me none at all. Then again, I'm a noob.

Heh, the last time I had mephetic could it work like hell. But then again, I was a green draconian chaos knight who was doing some training in conjuration, which meant I was completely immune to poison and could spit clouds of poison myself. Especialy the immunity helped a lot since that meant i could eat orc meat without any bad effects. Still got sick from gnoll meat though. The way he died was pretty shamefull. He got mobbed upon by a group of wasps, orc magi and some other asorted low level ocr-likes. Managed to distort reality and blink-scroll his way out of the level even though he was starving. So he get's up with only 1 hp and sees a zombie and a cockroach. Wand of confusion takes care of the zombie and hopefully the cockroach gives enough food to last a while. Turns out the cockroach manages to hit and kill him. He slew 4 named characters, a band of yacks, 2 wyvrens, countles orcs, ogers, gnolls and a bunch of bees, wasps, ants andscorpions only to get killed by a cockroach....

Oh and abissifying the temple won't do anything except for adding an altar to lugon (that's how he's called, right?) and adding an altar (I think, but even that might have been an altar of Zloth)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2009, 08:25:15 pm »

Zloth? What game are you playing?

Also, in some previous versions at least, abyssifying the Temple just... Well... Abyssifyed it. I'll look into whether that's changed.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2009, 08:33:39 pm »

Zloth? What game are you playing?

Also, in some previous versions at least, abyssifying the Temple just... Well... Abyssifyed it. I'll look into whether that's changed.

The same as you, but my memory is failing more often then yours :P. Anyhow, what's th god of chaos who does have an altar in the tempel?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2009, 08:38:43 pm »

There's Xom, who's the nice crazy guy, and Makhleb, who no one worships.

Okay, here's a picture of Corruption in action. It actually slowly spreads throughout the level you'll be getting the hell out of there when you notice that every once in a while there are odd gaps in the walls or strange discolorations. The gray covered monsters seem to be neutral. Also, the later char dump, if any one wanted to look at what I had.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:03:25 pm by inaluct »

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2009, 11:42:08 pm »

Well that was awesome. After two utter failures of dwarves, my third started quite well. He started off nicely with a potion of mutation that made him frail, but also gave him scales giving a +1 AC bonus and the ability to spit poison! I managed to reach the ecunemical temple, where I picked Makhleb. The ability to heal when you kill was just to tempting. I carried onwards, having a few tussles with Jellies but generally remaining lucky. Finally I entered the lair, which I believed was one of the easier dungeon branches. I did quite well, until I met a spine frog. Damn thing poisoned me near death so I used a scroll of blink. Which stuck me in a corridor between the spine frog and about 17 orcs. I read a scroll of teleportation, but couldn't hold out long enough.

DAMN!

All in all Makhleb didn't seem that bad, and raising piety was easy - third ability let you summon a minion which I never used, realise now I shoulda done that against the jelly.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2009, 11:59:57 pm »

Ooh, nice. You should try one of the underplayed races. It seriously helps out. I went through a Kobold Thief phase, and it really helped my overall play. I think I'll focus on nagas for a while. The poison resistance and poison spit are worth the slow movement.

You know what? Never again. THIS will never happen again. I will NOT worship Sif Muna. She sucks. Dammit, wasn't she supposed to protect me from this?

Man, I have such catastrophic deaths. :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:23:31 am by inaluct »

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2009, 01:28:04 am »

That DOES suck, but does teleporting into the path of 15 angry orcs and 2 orc warriors when you are trying to retreat count as catastrophic? :P
Also, I claim most anticlimatic deaths and shortest games - most of my games don't get past dungeon level 2, as i tend to linger on levels.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2009, 01:31:15 am »

I'd say teleporting into an angry armed mob is pretty catastrophic. :P

If you like sitting around on levels forever, you might want to try either a mummy fighter, gladiator, or spellcaster that doesn't require corpses or arrows (for Sticks to Snakes). A mummy wizard with the ice book might be good.

Wait, you know what I just noticed? Look at how much damage miscasting that spell did.

Now look at how much HP I had.

Somehow, this makes it worse.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:37:04 am by inaluct »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2009, 06:12:51 am »

I've never really had Xom screw me over or anything. Usually, it's all "HERE HAVE AN APPLE IT IS MY GIFT TO YOU" and stuff.

My best DSCK to date died when her patron, dear beloved Xom, happened to get randomly bored for a moment and ported in a mess of pretty nasty hostile demons to make things "interesting". The first time Xom did it she was healthy and killed them all. The second time... not so much. She was only maybe lvl 8 or 9 at the time, but... <sniff>

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2009, 09:01:33 am »

I picked this up again, and should have stopped playing when i was getting tired, but hey, i was having fun, and even though i did some stupid stuff like equipping my cursed sword to butcher a corpse, thus preventing me using bladehands... I could have done with more than the two or three ID scrolls i found, though.

Confusion Potion's + Poison Potions against the hordes is good, but blade hands against the stuff that doesn't fall for that, makes for a pretty fun all round character.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2009, 12:09:09 pm »

Gange is dead. He was at 30 hp and was instakilled by a spiny frog. I didn't even think those bastards can hit that hard. No character dump because I don't know how to take one, but I was at level 14 and I kicked ass :(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2009, 12:16:23 pm »

the dumps are automatically put on death, into the morgue folder.
they're organised by charactername-date, i think.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2009, 12:43:00 pm »

Thanks. Here's the dump (mind you, I had plenty more items stashed in a cleared dungeon level):
Man, that character was too awesome for such a stupid death :(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:46:43 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2009, 01:24:49 pm »

I propose a challenge. Go to
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/specie_class.html
and choose a combination with no wins. A higher number of fails is preferred. Try to win.

My thinking is that since so many people tried and failed, that combination should be particularly difficult.

I shall take... a Grey Elf Warper.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:54:25 pm by Mephisto »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2009, 01:37:30 pm »

I accept you challenge!

And I choose... A Halfling Death Knight!
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 990