Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1602637 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #9150 on: May 05, 2012, 09:56:24 pm »

I have that happen to ogres /constantly/ when I run enchanters. They are the masters of OHKOing themselves.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: May 05, 2012, 10:49:47 pm »

Really?  I thought the chance of accidentally causing your own death was pretty strong in Dungeon Crawl.  It does have a lower incidence of Yet Another Annoying Death, though.

You can get yourself killed due to carelessness, alright, but there is no such a thing as kicking a staircase and the dungeon collapsing on top of you (ADOM), dying for kicking a wall too hard (Nethack & Adom) or casually winding up petrified (Nethack). Linley's Dungeon Crawl was designed to be more forgiving on players when it came to specific knowledge of the mechanics.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:30:18 am by Azthor »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: May 05, 2012, 11:19:00 pm »

So I stumbled  across like 5 orc priests and mages on D:3, right? I go down an escape hatch

This is exactly how to die in crawl.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: May 06, 2012, 10:38:09 am »

So I stumbled  across like 5 orc priests and mages on D:3, right? I go down an escape hatch

The escape hatch itself wasn't the cause of the death though, it was my exploration afterwards. I could gone back up a set of stairs I saw earlier, but decided to risk it.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: May 06, 2012, 11:24:07 am »

The escape hatch itself wasn't the cause of the death though, it was my exploration afterwards. I could gone back up a set of stairs I saw earlier, but decided to risk it.

Point being you take too many risks heh.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: May 06, 2012, 11:28:45 am »

And chance 3 orc wizards and two priests with a couple of skeletons? Yeah, I don't think that would've worked out as well as this.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: May 06, 2012, 11:34:06 am »

An escape hatch is no less dangerous then using a teleport scroll without ctele.

Maybe I'm biased because it hasn't ever killed me before, but I don't think escape hatches are the biggest mistake you can make. Obviously dont take them if you are just too lazy to look for the stairs, but if you're on the run then they are great.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: May 06, 2012, 11:46:31 am »

If you read a teleport scroll then there's a) a chance you'll end up somewhere you already know and b) if you don't you at least know how to get back up.  With an escape hatch you could be left in the middle of a bunch of monsters without even knowing which way it is to the exit.

Of course an escape hatch works fine if it's towards a level you've already cleared.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: May 06, 2012, 12:14:22 pm »

Sigmund, Grinder, and Duvessa/Dowan all at once, as a MuSu who just got the ability to tap ambient fields and Ice beast at 30%. Bring it on.

Edit: And as soon as I said that Sigmund got past my Ice beasts while invisible and forced me to drop a level via a convenient down stair.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: May 06, 2012, 02:00:28 pm »

Canines can sense invisible, so mixing a few of those in with ice beasts can be a good tactic against enemies who turn invisible.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: May 06, 2012, 03:03:45 pm »

Canines can sense invisible, so mixing a few of those in with ice beasts can be a good tactic against enemies who turn invisible.
THAT is extremely good to know. I still figured that canine familiar was still a relatively poor spell comparatively and skipped it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: May 06, 2012, 03:16:26 pm »

Really? So summon canine actually has a use?

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: May 06, 2012, 03:44:19 pm »

Wait, why are all of you knocking CCF so much? With a bit of investment, CCF is actually pretty good. War Dogs are pretty strong and can take out most of the brute force monsters in the Lair - Imps has great utility but can't always do that at that point.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: May 06, 2012, 04:49:50 pm »

Wait, why are all of you knocking CCF so much? With a bit of investment, CCF is actually pretty good. War Dogs are pretty strong and can take out most of the brute force monsters in the Lair - Imps has great utility but can't always do that at that point.
CCF used to be quite weak, with about 50% of the summons even at good power being jackals. Having used it now quite a bit more, it's probably as good or better then ice beast now. With decent power, most of the summons are better then jackals, and they are all really fast and see invisible.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: May 06, 2012, 05:36:37 pm »

That "see invisible" thing sounds pretty great. The only other thing in the low-ish level summons that does that is shadow imps.
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 990