Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1599742 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #9210 on: May 08, 2012, 05:44:44 pm »

Oh god. I want to play a 8 tower shield of protection +3 octopode now. Wear resistance rings and then just spam spells and shield bash and laugh while the enemies can't do anything.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: May 08, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »

0%, but I've got an HEWz in Zot right now...
and I just got -10% MP from a ball of fire. WHY DO YOU HAVE COLD RESISTANCE?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: May 08, 2012, 07:47:57 pm »

The main thing you gain as you get better is the ability to judge whether a situation is dangerous (this should hopefully be built up as you gain an understanding of what enemies are capable of).  If you can immediately have an alarm go off in your head when you're in trouble (ideally before you've actually taken any damage) that's half the battle.  Most of the rest of it is making sure you have outs to those situations and remembering to use those.

With that in mind: Fi is a difficult class.  I'm not sure if I'd go as far as saying bad, but its benefits are very questionable compared to something like Gl which gives you a method of escape.  I mean, a lot of the time you'll want to drop your shield for a good 2 hander anyway.  Especially as a DD - I don't really play DD unless it's a class that has a way of restoring HP (He, Ne, Be) or a class that is good at avoiding being hit in the first place (EE or whatever) because otherwise your HP is just being whittled away.  I think it kindof makes sense to start off easy and move onto harder ones later if you want to improve - walking before running and all that.

Minotaurs are easy, yes.  Unarmed Combat minotaurs work great.  As do lajataurs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:50:04 pm by Leafsnail »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: May 08, 2012, 08:56:32 pm »

Huh. You know how people always say there's a minuscule chance you can find GDA on D1? I never believed that until now. Just found a gold dragon hide on D2, and ID'd my scrolls for no particular reason. Turns out one of them was enchant armor. I'm playing a MiGl. Oh yesssss

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: May 08, 2012, 08:58:21 pm »

^ Personally, I wouldn't touch that until you get 27 strength and your Armour skill up. It's nice, but it's not really going to work well so early.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: May 08, 2012, 09:01:16 pm »

Yeah. I didn't actually wear it yet, but that was a first for me. Of course, I have no idea why I posted that, because I promptly got raped by Pikel and his flaming whip. FFS, crawl...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:01 pm »

GDA isn't that good so you shouldn't feel too bad about it.  Mottled Dragon Armour and dodging would probably be the better option (decent AC without murdering your ability to attack/ dodge or forcing you to put lots of points into Str rather than Dex).

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:04 pm »

My favorite armors are CPM for non-casters and Pearl Dragon Armor for casters. Pearl Dragon Armor is like Plate Mail in that it gives 10 AC (Which is really good), but it only has -3EV instead of -6. It also gives rN+ on top of that.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:39:13 pm by Rex_Nex »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: May 11, 2012, 12:22:36 am »

I have determined that the addition of reach to all polearms is an immense boon to casters. Especially when you find a nice +4, +4 spear on D2. Being able to kite confused mobs while not actually at risk of them randomly hitting you is amazing.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: May 11, 2012, 10:05:07 am »

I'm playing a Felid and have found a treasure trove that requires a +4 +6 demon blade to enter. The only such sword I could find is a +3 +5 one. Is there ANY way at all to enchant a weapon as a Felid or should I just give up on the trove?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: May 11, 2012, 10:33:09 am »

Beorn, that's the exact reason why my stabchanters actually tend to favour polearms until their stabbing gets a bit higher (and then, conceivably, later on when it becomes really high, if so desired, though I've never gotten to that point)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: May 11, 2012, 10:43:35 am »

I'm playing a Felid and have found a treasure trove that requires a +4 +6 demon blade to enter. The only such sword I could find is a +3 +5 one. Is there ANY way at all to enchant a weapon as a Felid or should I just give up on the trove?

I asked the forum for you. There is no way for a Felid to enchant stuff, sorry :C

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: May 11, 2012, 12:23:08 pm »

Except arrows, right?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: May 11, 2012, 01:47:58 pm »

Yea, arrows excluded.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: May 11, 2012, 02:05:52 pm »

They can enchant hats can't they?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 990