Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1587484 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 04:26:02 pm »

Warning, rather long.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had two artifact weapons, waterwalking, and my orc knight Bogrim has full magic gear, and could slay a small dragon, thats how powerful he was.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:30:36 pm by Hawkfrost »

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 05:36:47 pm »

how did you get that far? i usually die within the first few levels ??? :(
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 06:26:11 pm »

That isn't even close to my farthest, just my favorite.

Its all about experience, knowing what to do against what enemy.
Tip, pick up an assload of rocks/darts, and whip them at everything before it reaches you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 06:37:49 pm »

Luck for the most part... The second I had a save where the potions I got were luckly healing potions and the scroll I used was easily identified as an identify scroll things became a lot easier.

Which is why I dislike the game :D

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 08:12:01 am »

Luck for the most part...
The more you think the game is about luck, the more you will lose.

Because when you think it's luck, you'll keep fighting when you're down to 8 life and the opponent is 'nearly dead'. You'll be thinking: "I've missed so many times that I'm bound to kill it on the next move." This way of thinking is the #1 cause of death in Crawl.

If you're down in life in battle, and you can run away, do that. You can come back later to kill the creature. If you think that you'll have a hard time against some enemy, use wands,potions and scrolls to make the fight easier, that's what they're for. They're not for cluttering your backpack.

The most important thing in Crawl is to know when to fight and when to run away (and using your consumables). The second most important thing is understanding that running away from a monster in a great circle to regain life and other cowardly things are perfectly acceptable.

For example, if you don't have blunt weapons or wands to kill a hydra, don't fight it at all, but use all means necessary to run away and go somewhere else until you can take it on.

P.S. Here everyone can see my best characters: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/LASD.html

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 09:44:43 am »

Its more fun to fight hydras with a sword, it makes it a challenge.

And to the new players, eating bodies is a decent way to keep full.
Just don't eat posionous creatures.

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 10:59:56 pm »

I've been playing this lately, a spriggarn assassin is kind of a fun class, if a bit too squishy.  I also have enjoyed mountain dwarf fighters/paladins/gladiators, those guys will take some serious damage if you get some solid armor on them.

I've made it to level 11 with one dwarf, then played when I was way tired and was resting in a corner, looked away for a few seconds, and when I'd looked back I was deeply poisoned from 10 or 15 poisoned blow darts, there was no staying alive and boom I was dead.

Really I think a key to winning the game is just patience and moving slowly, thinking through every move whenever you get into a tough spot.

Don't equip weapons you haven't identified, it's rather lame running around with a paper mache weapon stuck to you if you end up trying a cursed one.

It's probably the most accessible dungeon hack roguelike game and while the game is tough, that alone makes it 3x easier than most roguelikes.. you don't die for stupid reasons, unless you're the one who actually made a stupid mistake, which is a nice change.

Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 11:44:14 pm »

The more you think the game is about luck, the more you will lose.
Debatable.

I think it's very much about luck - but in a different way.

Sometimes you get em baddies handed in the right order, your "resist corrosion" amulets in a pack with a "Scroll of identify" just before you encounter your first jellies, your "see invisible" gear just before the first wizards try to fuck you up, your curare needles & blessed blowgun right before the first troll shows its ugly head.

But sometimes... youre just fucked from the start. No good gear, or rather ... not even the minimum required gear for survival. No useful potions, no scrolls, no nothing.

And that's why I like classes that don't rely much on equipment. But in the end... the RNG has a strong say on how far you get.

edit: but the simple and fun mechanics around how potions have different colours every game (they do, dont they?) and how scrolls are written differently each game - that is something that most modern games could use. And on a completely related sidenote...

Imagine you explore a dungeon... imagine you slay an incredibly smelly and altogether horrible troll/orc. would you REALLY drink the stuff he had in his backpack? I probably wouldnt. I dont drink the booze of unconscious strangers either, now, do i?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:47:34 pm by Puck »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 04:41:09 am »

The game itself says that it is more about making the right choices over luck.

My most successful so far, having vanquished 314 monsters. I have yet to get that far, and only came that close another two or so times.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 04:47:55 am »

The game itself says that it is more about making the right choices over luck.
Well, if you count dying as the right choice when the RNG only gives you shit, I guess you could say that is true.

Didnt you ever have any round that even didnt give you a scroll of identify until the umpteenth level?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 05:04:27 am »

No not really. I prefer brawlers to weapon fighters.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 07:36:38 pm »

So, anyone have any good games recently? I had a let-monster-hit-once death:

Things I learned that you should probably know:
  • Labyrinths aren't really that dangerous. They have a minotaur in the middle, but that's all. The minotaur sits on the gateway out. Rock walls are far from the minotaur, stone walls are closer, and metal walls are really close.
  • Sif Muna sucks. Being protected from miscasts is nice, but I never used any of the activated powers. Ever. As far as I'm concerned, they're useless unless you're rolling in food. As a spriggan, I was not rolling in food.
  • Poison magic is nearly useless against blobs, undead, and some monsters. In other words, poison magic does not work on poison resistant monsters. If you're going to use poison magic, make sure you have a reliable method of killing poison resistant monsters.
  • Mephitic Cloud + Sting = God Tier.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 08:04:56 am »

Has anyone tried Nemelex Xobeh?  I've been curious about how a Spriggan evoker would do with Nemelex...  Magic cards have always fascinated me, and the innate Spriggan affinity for evocation would give them a hand in getting the most out of their decks.  And as far as I know, there aren't any gods that will give you extra food (there's one that *may* feed you if you pray to him while starving, but he's generally a bastard as far as keeping him happy). 

The image of a gnarled leprechaun standing in front of some beast and taking a couple puffs on his pipe before pulling a large tarot-like card out of deck and casting it onto the ground for some magical effect has been stuck in my head for a rather long time.

And in any case, Spriggan evokers are hardcore.  Miniature juggernauts.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 08:27:28 pm »

NOOOOOOO!!!

*Choked sobbing*

So, what are your guy's highest scores ever? This is mine by far. Spriggan Stalker = hax.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 08:39:21 pm »

I think my orc priest is getting pretty high up there...  I haven't been playing him all that much lately though, since followers are starting to get rather scarce, and they're really the only thing this guy has going for him.  But he hasn't died yet, so I don't know where he stands point-wise.

Other than that, I think the other highest one would be Marvis, my first attempt at a Spriggan transmuter.  1982 points, rather pathetic when put in comparison with that stalker of yours.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 990