Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1586896 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 03:33:57 am »

For some reason, my highest score is the ghoul death night posted here. I really have no idea why.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 02:41:33 pm »

Wow...   Finally managed to get a Spriggan transmuter into the good graces of Nemelex Xobeh.  He's not that great in the beginning, but sacrifices are easy to come by (everything, really).  I turn bodies into potions for use with the evaporate spell (mmm...  Magic grenades), and everything else gets sacrificed to Nemelex.

At first he just gave me some minor decks, including two very big decks of escape (not quite that useful, since I haven't been in too many big jams yet.  But they're nice to have around just in case) and some rather small decks of destruction.  But damn, those decks of destruction are fun while they last.  Even if you do end up poisoning yourself every now and then.

Anyways, he wasn't that useful until just recently.  I bumped up another level in favor, and then ended up with another deck.  This time, I'd earned a legendary stack.

So I'm being chased by an ice beast, I've just unloaded all the charges of my rod of striking into him without leaving a scratch, and I'm running a little low on mage-bombs (destructive potions), so I'd rather not use those.  Just to see what happens, I whip out my new legendary deck (I don't even know what type it is yet, but I figure it's probably destruction), and draw a card.  The Spark.

I figure, hey, at least it's damage, and invoke its power on the icy beast.

The damn thing shattered in one shot.  "Spark" my ass, that was a goddamn lightning storm (it actually filled the corridor).

And since I'm still in good graces with the trickster god, I'll probably be getting more of this kinda stuff.  Hoo-ah.

EDIT:  Aaand, he's dead.  Damn.  Got stuck between two orcish warriors while polymorphed into a bat, which means I could neither read my scrolls of teleportation nor drink a healing potion.

Level 9, 4266 points.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 03:46:02 pm »

How was Blade Hands? I've heard that it's really powerful, but I'm trying to stop playing Spriggan Venom Mages/Assassins/Stalkers/any non-melee class. I want to be good at playing something cool, not venomous leprechauns.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 04:29:16 pm »

Didn't try blade hands, I used an enchanted venom-dripping knife I found somewhere for finishing off critters.  I also managed to get a small pair of horns (that actually fit the image remarkably well.  I was sorry to lose that guy) through a potion of mutation, so I'd give them the occasional headbutt as well.

However, fulsome distillation + evaporate?  Bloody awesome.  It's actually kinda fun "ripening" corpses to make sure you get the most out of them.

If you want a fun melee class, take a trollish berserker.  Just eat everything you see until you're practically bursting at the seams, and then sacrifice the rest to Trog to make him happy.  You'll eventually be able to obliterate people with your bare hands, which is great fun.

Other cool choices include mummy death priests, ogrish berserkers (stomachs made out of iron instead of the steel stomach of a troll, but they don't need to eat quite as often.  Also, you can effectively use weapons other than just fists and stones), vampire necromancers (careful with these, they can be very fragile), demonspawn chaos knights (Makhleb's the smartest choice), minotaur warriors, and a few others that escape my mind right now.

A few more you could try would be Dwarven warriors/hunters for that DF experience, or a Gnomish transmuter (even better at evocations than Spriggans, but not as fast). 

Or, if you've played Dominions II, you could make a ghoul chaos knight of Lugonu for that story aspect.  If you don't feel very story-ish, you can do just about anything ghoulish to get a kick out of their unique hunger needs and capabilities.  Don't take death knights, necromancers or transmuters though, you'll have a hard time splitting corpses between your magic and your stomach.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 11:44:23 pm »

I've tried trollish berserkers. They're pretty fun, but I also want to play something unusual. I think I'll play as wanderers and thieves for a while.

Speaking of which, kobold thieves are pretty fun. Especially if you name them things like "Frilbris" and "Jreengus."

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 06:44:00 am »

Speaking of unusual class/race combinations, I have an amazingly successful Spriggan Necromancer (!) at the moment. I ended up playing it completely by accident:

I read the post by Kagus about Spriggan Evokers and Nemelex Xobeh and I thought "Is there such a thing as Evoker class?" I opened telnet, chose Spriggan and saw that there wasn't such a class and pressed 'q' to quit. However when choosing a class, 'q' does not quit, so I found myself staring at the text "Welcome, LASD the Spriggan Necromancer".

"No way I'm playing that", I thought and hit the X on the upper left corner.

But, on the next day, I opened telnet, pressed play and noticed that the Necromancer had been saved and was ready to conquer the Dungeon. "Why not?", I thought as I was sure that he would die in amazingly quick fashion.

The Spriggan aptitude for Necromancy is 120, so no wonder that this combination is not recommended. Still, Pain and Animate Skeleton helped me through the first dungeon levels, especially Pain turned out to be very effective.

Then I found a Book of Callings. The Spriggan aptitude for Summonings is 150. However, Summon Small Mammals and Call Imp made my life easier as the summoned beings took the blows I would have otherwise died to. Call Imp was in fact for a long time the only thing that kept me alive.

Then, I found a Book of Conjurations (Ice). Well, the Spriggan aptitude for Ice Magic is 140 and for Conjurations a whopping 160. Nevertheless, Throw Frost became my primary means of damage and it served well in this role until I finally got something better.

Then, I found a Book of Charms. The Spriggan aptitude for Enchantments is 50. I didn't end up using much of this book at all.

As Sif Muna started liking me more and more as my Spellcasting and other magic skills grew, I ended up with a large heap of spellbooks from which could pick the spells I wanted (Like Mephitic Cloud, Venom Bolt, Detect Creatures and Dig). I got farther and farther in the game and at some point it struck me that this little guy is already my 2. best character ever.

Now having a character level of 18, Spellcasting at 17, a total of 92 levels in magic skills, spamming level 5 spells with no hunger at all and well on the way of becoming my best character ever, I must say my initial reaction was totally wrong.

It's an interesting thing in Crawl that the class you choose at the start isn't unconditionally the class you end up being. With this guy (Necromancy is at 11, Conjurations at 14, and Poison at nearly 12) the only spells I have left of Necromancy is Pain that I occasionally use for small critters and Dispel Undead, which is at the moment so powerful that even though this guy has taken the most time and effort to play of all characters, I'm quite glad he started as a Necromancer.

TL;DR (I accidentally took a Spriggan Necromancer and although using the wrong branches of magic, I'm at level 18)

P.S. And no, I haven't been particularly lucky with equipment, I have a +2 robe (starting equipment), +1 cloak, a knife that boosts ST and IN, a ring of wizardry, an amulet of resist corrosion, and a ring of magical power. The ring of wizardry being the only thing I found early in the game.

P.P.S. I'll definitely keep you posted on what happens to this guy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:46:43 am by LASD »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 10:03:50 pm »

I hate elves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 09:06:11 am »

Yeah, the elves are incredibly annoying. Especially when there's more than one of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 10:50:28 am »

I actually went into the elven halls, saw 6 or so elves, let one get into melee with me, staired out, and fought it one on one. They're overpowered.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 04:48:01 pm »

Waaay overpowered.  At least for how early you see them.  I remember going into the halls with my orcish horde, and just watching in horror as they all dropped like flies.  Barely made it out of there with my skin intact and still attached to my body.

Also, interesting to see that I wasn't the only weirdo who created a Spriggan chaos knight of Xom.  Unless, of course, you just used the random character thingy.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 04:56:09 pm »

Nope, you're not alone. I actually tried a spriggan chaos knight after experimenting with super-turtle mummy fighters. I wanted a god that wouldn't give me shit about not doing anything, and Xom fit the bill. Even if you get a "Xom is getting BORED" message, it only means that he's going to start doing stuff.

"Stuff" usually means giving you god gifts, minions, or random miscast effects, which mummies generally aren't harmed by. Pretty much all of the non-good gods demand that you constantly kill things or cast spells. A mummy that could worship The Shining One could just turtle along forever with ever increasing piety. It'd be awesome.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 05:31:47 pm »

Xom always struck me as the most "godly" entity.  Exceptionally fickle and unpredictable.  He's really the only one with a personality, the others are just input-output machines. 

Even so, I've very rarely dared to create a character under his thumb...  Might just have to do it again sometime.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 06:34:08 pm »

Anyone try an Ogre-Mage Fighter yet? Surprisingly enough, they're reasonably good.

Also, have you guys managed to do well with a Naga yet?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:23:07 pm by inaluct »

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2009, 12:55:41 pm »

The little bugger really pulled it off! The Spriggan Necromancer in my previous post managed to become my best character ever, by a ridiculously small margin of 177 points. Scoring 227 546 points in total.

On the last ten minutes I managed to kill the hardest things I have met ever in Crawl, but still I got shot down by a (not-that) lowly yaktaur captain that I failed to confuse having run out of potions of heal wounds.

I'm quite glad that he's dead now, although the death made me stop on the spot for a while (and he had the chance to go a lot farther). I think I'll start some better character when I get to that so that the whole game isn't such a struggle all the way.

Character file here for anyone interested: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LASD/morgue-LASD-20090109-172552.txt It's most likely the best damn SpNe you have ever seen.

P.S. I apparently beat Crawl.akrasiac.org's former best Spriggan Necromancer by around 220 000 points.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:00:05 pm by LASD »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2009, 02:35:52 pm »

I started playing melee characters (gladiators, mostly) a couple of days ago, and I'm getting my ass served to me. Orcish Warriors make me nervous even in a 1v1 fight, and they usually come supported by lesser orcs and priests. I have to turn tail and run as soon as I see one of them, but sometimes I just can't run away. Any tips? I am already throwing things at them, but their armour is just too good, and they never seem to get poisoned.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 990