Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1586877 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #13875 on: September 01, 2016, 06:06:00 pm »

Qazlal makes good characters ridiculous and bad characters mincemeat in real games. If you're strong enough to take on the entire level when they come charging out to investigate the ungodly ruckus of your storm aura, then Qazlal streamlines it immensely. If you crumple like paper beneath even a mild onslaught, Qazlal makes every level a major one, which is rapidly fatal. If you're man enough to handle THE STORM[Which most decent melee races should be], the big drawback to Qaz in the real game is the absurd piety costs on his abilities, especially Disaster Area. Mind you, Disaster Area ain't got nothing on Tornado or Apocalypse most of the time, both of which are more sustainable and similarly powerful. Still a fun god though.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13876 on: September 01, 2016, 06:39:29 pm »

The real cost of Qaz is everything on the level knows where you are

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13877 on: September 01, 2016, 09:28:50 pm »

Why
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13878 on: September 01, 2016, 09:43:41 pm »

Dowan and Duvessa technically count as one unique so it's only two uniques at once. Not that special, I get multiple uniques per floor quite often. I once had to deal with four. Anyway, you aren't in that bad of a situation. Just use your teleport wand or your ridiculous Spriggan's running speed to get out of that situation and then face those guys on your own terms.

Also, don't try to dazzle Menkaure (as your combat log betrays you doing). He has see invisible which means you can't blind him.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:47:21 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13879 on: September 01, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »

all the better

more food for the storm
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13880 on: September 02, 2016, 12:23:41 am »

What are the chances of SIgmund, Menakure and Grinder on floor 4? The former two being right next to each other.

Have Grinder and Sigmund gone through a gigantic nerf? I've not died to either in ages.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:33:04 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #13881 on: September 02, 2016, 01:53:33 am »

Have Grinder and Sigmund gone through a gigantic nerf? I've not died to either in ages.
Not sure of Sigmund, but paralysis now loses effectiveness when used repeatedly, making Grinder slightly more merciful.

You also might just have got better at the game. I remember once wondering here if gnolls had been nerfed, but it turned out they hadn't been.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13882 on: September 02, 2016, 06:32:32 am »

There's certainly a lot of that, because once you have experienced the "oh there's a monster named Sigmund there ... rushing to attack him now !" , you quickly learn that it's usually a bad idea and additionally teach you a lot about Crawl-specific survival tactics (the "evaluate your chances before doing anything" "run away is a very good idea", "don't rush , instead use terrain and corridor to build your approach", "remember to look at your equipment before acting", "remember it's turn based so no need to act now" etc... )

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13883 on: September 02, 2016, 06:37:41 am »

To my knowledge, Sigmund hasn't been nerfed at all. I think Grinder got a slight one though, beyond the paralysis spam nerf. However, both can be defeated without much fuss once you know how to play the game well, or at least avoided.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13884 on: September 02, 2016, 07:59:14 am »

Depends on the build too.  As with most things in the first few levels Minotaurs and the like can usually kill Grinder and Sigmund without any trouble.  It's one of the reasons I kind of think fighter archetypes probably shouldn't be how people get started with the game.

A lot of the important Crawl survival tactics aren't really necessary if you play a minotaur, at least up to Vaults or so.  I think that's also why tilers like Chei while everyone else hates him.  He doesn't give you tools for playing the game right, he loads the dice in your favor when you take stupid risks.  If you're the kind of person who stands there and tabs dangerous monsters to the death without any buffs up, Chei probably seems right up your alley, but if you didn't take those dumb risks you'd do better even with no god.

He's the god of "i didn't think the ogre would hit me twice in a row"
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13885 on: September 02, 2016, 08:10:02 am »

Often Grinder doesn't do very much at all, sometimes he paralyses and then kills you almost immediately. It's whether you're prepared to take that early game risk in exchange for a big XP boost if you win.
And you also make such an unholy racket that everything on the level wakes up and comes to find you. I dunno if it's still true but I was told a while back that having a full piety Qazlal character is roughly equivalent noise-wise to casting Fire Storm on yourself every turn.

The thing is his invocations are extremely good, so it kindof balances out. But it gives his worshippers a very weird and invocation-orientated playstyle.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13886 on: September 02, 2016, 04:00:25 pm »

Depends on the build too.  As with most things in the first few levels Minotaurs and the like can usually kill Grinder and Sigmund without any trouble.  It's one of the reasons I kind of think fighter archetypes probably shouldn't be how people get started with the game.

A lot of the important Crawl survival tactics aren't really necessary if you play a minotaur, at least up to Vaults or so.  I think that's also why tilers like Chei while everyone else hates him.  He doesn't give you tools for playing the game right, he loads the dice in your favor when you take stupid risks.  If you're the kind of person who stands there and tabs dangerous monsters to the death without any buffs up, Chei probably seems right up your alley, but if you didn't take those dumb risks you'd do better even with no god.

"tilers"?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13887 on: September 02, 2016, 04:21:12 pm »

"tilers"?
guys who play in tiles rather than ASCII. Pretty self explanatory.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13888 on: September 02, 2016, 04:44:06 pm »

And why would that have any effect on playstyle?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13889 on: September 02, 2016, 07:16:33 pm »

Because people who are new to roguelikes use tiles, whereas people who have played for a long time / have played other roguelikes tend to use ASCII.

Of course, it's mostly an elitist word used by those in the Tavern who'd like to assert their hardcoreness and skill.

I found the orange crystal plate armour... on a Tengu Air Elementalist of Vehumet. I think I might be able to use this in the endgame. Should I start skilling up Armour?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 990