Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1587414 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14460 on: November 22, 2017, 02:39:11 pm »

My guess is to dick you over.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14461 on: November 30, 2017, 11:44:47 am »

Hey, Can someone please explain the appeal to Sif Muna to me? I keep giving her tries, but she never gives me spellbooks (Which i Need) at the earlier levels (When i need them). And her active abilities dont seem to be stupidly amazing either. Can someone sell her to me?
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14462 on: November 30, 2017, 02:02:37 pm »

Perhaps he was finishing the game and died during the orb run ?

I never understood why Sif Muna either but the "never oom again" enough seems a strong appeal to me :)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14463 on: November 30, 2017, 02:19:42 pm »

Hey, Can someone please explain the appeal to Sif Muna to me? I keep giving her tries, but she never gives me spellbooks (Which i Need) at the earlier levels (When i need them). And her active abilities dont seem to be stupidly amazing either. Can someone sell her to me?
Sif Muna is aimed at pure spellcasters who learn multiple schools and invest in the spellcasting skill.  The idea is you pick up any spellbook you find on the floor and then train yourself to use it.  Then when you're maxed out its painless to forget the less optimal spells.  Channeling helps negate one of the big weaknesses of spellcasting (that you run out of mana and then die).  The miscast protection is way more important than it appears.  That's what allows Sif Muna worshipers to be so versatile, because they can learn a high level spell with dangerous miscast effects and then cast it without having a 100% success chance.

In the long term with Sif Muna, you'll have basically every spellbook in the game.  It just takes time.  In general if you rely on your god to survive early on as a spellcaster, you should pick vehumet.  And if you're playing as a hybrid you should pick one of the generally effective gods (Makleb, Okawaru, Dithmenos, ect).  Sif muna is if you're really serious about magic and you either already know how to use a lot of spells or you want to learn a lot of different spells.  You'll definitely want to pick a background with a good earlygame spellbook to hold you over until you get a couple more.  Something like wizard, conjurer, or anything with mephitic cloud.  If you're the kind of person that likes coming up with optimized combos in video games, Sif Muna might be for you, since Sif is the best way to ensure that you'll get any given combination of unrelated spells.  Eventually.

(full disclaimer: haven't played the most recent version, never played with Sif Muna much)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14464 on: November 30, 2017, 02:58:02 pm »

Thanks! Maybe Ill give her a try...

It is a her right?

Also, WHY THE HELL IS THERE A GNOLL WITH AN ENCHANTED SPEAR ON LEVEL 1?
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14465 on: November 30, 2017, 10:10:09 pm »

The new Sif Muna has notably worse spellbook gifts because their piety gain system is all wonky. Sif's new channelling is better then the old channelling unless you really liked to play lichform/mummy.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14466 on: December 01, 2017, 08:44:14 am »

Thanks! Maybe Ill give her a try...

It is a her right?

Also, WHY THE HELL IS THERE A GNOLL WITH AN ENCHANTED SPEAR ON LEVEL 1?

gnolls are always possible on d1, and i think their weapons are rolled separately, iirc

definitely lost a few characters to "eh i can probably finish that gnoll off with a dagger now"

nope it was a +3 spear

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14467 on: December 11, 2017, 01:27:42 pm »

I decided to try Sif Muna on my current Orc Skald & it seems to be working out fine. There's probably better gods I could of picked but the protection from fails seems nice if you want to cast in armour with little real casting skills. Early days yet but hard to go wrong with an orc that finds such a nice axe:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14468 on: December 12, 2017, 08:28:35 am »

So update after the 1st rune & a bit better feel for it, you definitely have an easy time collecting spellbooks on 1 of the stronger melee races as you just never really need to invoke.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:22 am »

Wow wobbly, you have rC- and rF-, you might want to see if you can find some equipment without that issue.  That +10 war axe isn't as great as it looks, a war axe isn't a great base weapon.  Red and white ugly things, as well as simulacrums are going to hit you hard.  That -5 int on the axe isn't doing your spellcasting any favors either.

If I were you, I'd go back to the battleaxe you had before.  You'll lose the shield, but a buckler with +3ac isn't that big of a deal.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14470 on: December 13, 2017, 10:10:23 am »

You'll want a shield for the elven halls and after dungeon:15.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: December 14, 2017, 01:31:34 am »

The fire & cold vulnerability wasn't causing me much issue, the swap mace loses a vulnerability & gains a resist when I needed it & the smaller axe was doing the job fine & gave me longer to react to problems. Sadly messed up elven halls taking on too many mages. Should of played with passage spell before it was an emergency situation. Lost 2 gates to summons. Annoying as an immediate teleport scroll would have done it, had the resources to stay alive long enough.

Edit: I've never noticed int making a huge difference to any spell an armoured caster can cast. Noticably if you wear +str, -int items often the fail rate drops.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:28:16 am by wobbly »

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14472 on: December 14, 2017, 02:48:28 pm »

I've lost some nice magic casters to master archers and banish. I usually leave Elf:3 for later.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14473 on: December 18, 2017, 02:54:12 pm »

Completed my 3rd win: MiFi of Uskayaw. The automatic paralyzing by Uskayaw helped a lot. Maxed out all combat skills. Still managed to go down to one-digit HP in a Ziggurat. Eskaped with 9 runes. Could have been 10: Killed Dispater, fled to recover, forgot to come back and fetch the rune  :)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: December 18, 2017, 07:29:15 pm »

Completed my 3rd win: MiFi of Uskayaw. The automatic paralyzing by Uskayaw helped a lot. Maxed out all combat skills. Still managed to go down to one-digit HP in a Ziggurat. Eskaped with 9 runes. Could have been 10: Killed Dispater, fled to recover, forgot to come back and fetch the rune  :)

Congrats on the win!

Melee characters are generally very bad in Ziggurats. You can of course clear plenty of floors, but you're likely to die to on a mummy or similar floor.
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 990