Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1587125 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14640 on: July 23, 2018, 06:03:06 am »

I still practically never use all the useful potions like might, agility, etc... And just stash them in Hell if I survive until then. A real pity each time, but hoarder instints prevail... ::)
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: July 23, 2018, 06:26:58 am »

Potions of heal wounds stop being super useful sometime before Zot anyway, so may as well use them up in the Lair branches and the like. In Zot, by the time you need a health potion ... it usually doesn't do enough good to matter.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: August 01, 2018, 02:41:46 pm »

Okay, so having player ghosts locked in runed rooms always is pretty nice. However, I didn't realize when they said this that they'd be making situations like this (Yes, that is 3 Minotaur Berserker Ghosts in one room):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: The second I opened the door I could see a 4th ghost that was hiding behind the door the whole time. This one was a CeHu as well, but luckily he didn't follow along with the other 3 at first, so it didn't complicate things too much. Huzzah for tons of XP!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:46:44 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: September 27, 2018, 12:33:41 pm »

Ok, I've won with Jiyva for a 15 tournaments run and a DsGl. It wasn't so hard, actually.
A few advices for anyone who never tried Jiyva before, and wants to.

1 : The safest way is not to pick a god, find a way to go to the nearest Jiyva altar, then go back, do orc completely, then get back to Lair, convert, then come back to D:1 to D:9 and eat EVERYTHING with slimes, then go back to Orc and eat everything (except the gold you already took ^^), then finish the lair. Even if eating a lot of gold will rocket your piety, you need this money, and in Orc you can at least find some useful stuff on monsters (armors, weapons, shields). I didn't take any game because i didn't want to suffer their wrath.

2 : Something very good with this god is that some items can become more useful. Jiyva will change your stats. ALL the time. Trying to adapt (sometimes it's annoying, but, well,...). So, of course, as soon as you decide to play a warrior, you will only find stuff with Int on it. Jiyva doesn't care ! He will change your "Int" in Str. What you have to look is "how much stat" stuff gives. Some items you don't even look otherwise will becomes good. Like my  Str+3 Int+4 Dex+3 ring,which gives, actually +10 in "all" stats.

3 : You will loose a LOT of stuff. In my winning game ( https://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Inarius/morgue-Inarius-20180913-100551.txt ), I still had my +2 cloak from the begining. I finally found some good boots, but at the very end (Tomb:2,and Tomb was my last rune). Before that, only +2 boot, thanks to scrolls.

4 : On the other hand, Jiyva specific mutations will gives you some very very very nice mutations. I lost most of them just before the end, but  I had for most of Pan rF++ and rC++ mutation. It compensates for most of the crap items, actually.

5 : Jiyva mutations are really great. Acidic saliva is wonderful for quickblades. AND EYEBALLS are just...wonderful. And Tendrills disarm EVERYONE, including pan lords :)

6 : Last but not least. Consider EVERYTHING as food/hp/mp. You actually gain a lot of time, because after each fighting, you can just spam one jelly which will do the janitor for you, and eat useless weapons/armor/bodies. It will regen your mp/hp very fast, and, basically, you never eat, always engorged...

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: September 30, 2018, 07:28:37 pm »

Stone Soup is fascinating to me. It's like the Newspeak of roguelikes. It's actively under development, but because of some enormous change in the developers or their vision or direction, enemies, items, and mechanics are removed every version. It's like it's actively getting smaller (and, I presume in their defense, more focused), when almost every other developing game around is 100% about what stuff they can add. Plenty of times people will try something for a version to let players test it out, but I'm changes like "we got rid of rods" and "we made all the food the same."

I know it's the devs working towards their final vision of what the game should be, but it's somehow disappointing to see so much stuff actively having vanished from the game. I don't even actively play it, I just check in the wiki every once in a while to see what's changed. Whatever else it is, it's fascinating.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: October 01, 2018, 12:27:43 am »

They are actively removing all the tedious mechanics that make playing the game a chore...…..[/sarcasm]
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: October 01, 2018, 12:39:21 am »

I mean, it's fairly obvious to see that constantly adding new things to the game results in a bloated unbalanced mess of a game. DC:SS also suffered from having a lot of truly awful legacy mechanics like item destruction from a time when the design was much less coherent. Removing that kind of iredeemable trash can't really be compared to removing actual depth from the game.

EDIT:

They are actively removing all the tedious mechanics that make playing the game a chore...…..[/sarcasm]

This, but without the [/sarcasm]
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: October 01, 2018, 08:48:33 am »

EDIT:

agreed. the game has incrementally improved over the years. by a lot. it continues to do so, especially in terms of interface and inventory management.

most games could learn a lot from dcss development in terms of when to cut stuff.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14648 on: October 15, 2018, 06:13:12 pm »

A question: does Gell's Gravitas affect your ancestor when worshipping Hepliaklqana?

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: October 16, 2018, 03:02:02 am »

EDIT:

agreed. the game has incrementally improved over the years. by a lot. it continues to do so, especially in terms of interface and inventory management.

most games could learn a lot from dcss development in terms of when to cut stuff.

Well while I don't necessary agree on the specific changes the devs are pretty front up about the design ethos. I think it manages a tight game balance pretty well & there are other roguelikes for if/when you are after something different.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: December 19, 2018, 04:38:43 pm »

Started playing again. Fun as always but damn getting a character going can be frustrating. Anyway lucky save of the day:

You fade into invisibility. You are confused. You feel invigorated. The white imp gestures. Frost hits you. Natasha casts a spell. The dart hits you.
Low Hit Points (1 & natasha can see invisible)
The white imp gestures at you. The frost hits Natasha.
Natasha dies! The imps disappear in a puff of smoke. x2

You start resting. Natasha comes into view. You feel less invigorated. You feel less confused. Stuff. Natasha dies.

Saved by friendly fire. Then Ambriosa saves me from the respawn being too close.

Edit: looked at the log, 7 turns it took her to return
Edit: & the pendulum swings. Dead to a centaur with an acid wand, grouped with an orc pack that would be suicidal to engage. Never seen them pack a wand, it's not exactly the fairest combination.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:11:50 pm by wobbly »

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14651 on: January 26, 2019, 12:03:56 pm »

0.23 tournament coming up in February! http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/category/tournament
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14652 on: January 26, 2019, 01:29:46 pm »

Great ! Will there be bay12 teams ?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: January 26, 2019, 01:31:21 pm »

I sure hope so. Would someone mind making a tournament thread? I'm too busy to take the responsibility myself.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Osmium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: January 28, 2019, 05:27:28 am »

Looking at downloading this when I get home. Should I try to join the noob team if there is one? xD
I've played ToMe, so I know what a roguelike is, atleast.
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 990