Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1586806 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14685 on: August 30, 2019, 07:12:02 pm »

ye olde clustering illusion.

I lost my diesel MiGl^Usk to a shaft, but I'd gone into the depths to look around before I was ready for it, so it was ultimately my fault.
Shoes...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: August 31, 2019, 04:41:19 am »

Strange then that the best players can do a 30-40-50 streaks with nearly random classes/races if it's so "random", isn't it ?

No offense, but i think you are confusing bad playing with bad luck.

(and i can't blame you : this game is really hard , there is always a lot of room for improving !)
Some players have a 10% win ratio, some 1% some 0,1%, yet all of them say "it was bad luck, f**** game".
I laugh sometimes at some mistakes i used to make which, while at first look were "bad luck" were just, actually, bad planification/understanding of the game.

I agree I am not playing cautiously, but I don't see how any possible skill could prevent "enemy with paralysis wand spawn at stairs and immediately paralyses you and you die before it wears off.

Also, is there somewhere I could watch these experts play? Because I've been looking for stuff like that.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: August 31, 2019, 05:31:02 am »

Well, i think this instant paralysis looks like a Rupert attack, so a lack of MR in the first place (paralysis is always a lack of MR)

I would advise Malcom rose, the best player in term of streaks and bold race/specie combo !

https://www.twitch.tv/malcolmrosegaming/videos

Anyway, on my....300 games where i went to the lair at least, this instant-paralysis-death only happened once, so well maybe it's a sort of unavoidable death (like the double-triple-shaft i had once). But well, if you loose your 299-long streak because of Rupert, i would certainly feel sorry for you :)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: August 31, 2019, 08:01:37 am »

Also, is there somewhere I could watch these experts play? Because I've been looking for stuff like that.
Ultraviolent4 @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8r5-0URsBvIsh9VA3f1hXg comes to mind.  I can also recommend Demise AU, but he's been diversifying in the past several months.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: August 31, 2019, 10:02:24 am »

Well if its a wand it could of been a lot of them, I'd assumed Grinder where you have no guarantee of MR or the hps to deal with orc priests while paralysed.

Got a human fighter of Elyvilon going & I've found early crystal plate but am not sure how useful it is to me. So I've taken dex every stat-up & I don't have the greatest str, particularly when its combined with a large shield. On the other hand when I wear it a bunch of enemies just bounce off me. I found it in a bailey & wore it there (it was nice to have all the javelins bounce off). However the orc warriors with glaives had no trouble hitting me & hitting hard through it, & it puts my EV to negative.

Any advice? The ring mail or the crystal plate? Something else? Keep the crystal for later?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Found +3 plate of cold resist, so wearing that now

Edit 2: & update for not dying yet.

Edit: Blargh died to continuous net spam on the last level of shoals, I hate nets.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:38:46 pm by wobbly »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: September 01, 2019, 11:49:12 pm »

Does anyone know how much time a blink scroll "passes"? As in how much time do enemies have to move after you use it?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: September 22, 2019, 10:01:25 am »

1.0, same as an average creature walking one tile.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14692 on: October 01, 2019, 01:48:29 am »

Tournament 0.24 in August!  :o
Edit: I meant October! ... Yeah, no excuse for that typo.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 01:44:05 am by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: October 01, 2019, 09:44:06 am »

What? How do you know when they will release it? Especially if it is 10 months away.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: October 02, 2019, 02:23:35 pm »

Might finally get a kobold win through if I stop underestimating caustic shrikes. In the abyss because I blinked onto the gate. Also nice to see I can pretty much hit full stealth by turning into a spider (I get that last pip if heroism is running):

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: October 03, 2019, 11:03:25 am »

Well I won, 5 runes. I think I would of gone for more but I managed to acquire double frail mutations. Kobold hps are low enough without that so I just ducked in, got the orb & left.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: October 03, 2019, 01:44:35 pm »

Caustic shrikes, in my opinion are probably the most dangerous creature on par with orb of fire. On top of that, many people (including me) overlook rCorr because it's not very useful outside Slime.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: October 04, 2019, 10:59:21 am »

What's going on with the development of this these days? Still the same crew, focused on the same things? It seems like they've slowed down removing all the fun, which is good, and there are a few positive changes, like the books not taking up inventory space. I liked the change to mutation pots, although I was never a mutation roulette type, so YMMV.

Wu Jian was incredibly fun when first introduced. It's been neutered to the point of pointlessness, from what I can tell over an inter forum rivalry. There's just no gain from using the abilities instead of just tabbing.  The bizarre way this was handled and the incredible condescension from the Tavern folk really turned me off that community, which is sad, I used to love it.

I liked the version the people over at SA were doing, gooncrawl I think it was.  But I don't think that's been updated in a while, and I think due to stupid personal rivalries none of the servers host that branch anymore.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14698 on: October 05, 2019, 02:02:33 pm »

Looking at trunk they're reworking Fedhas:

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commits/master

Hopefully it'll be more interesting in its new form

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: October 05, 2019, 06:44:59 pm »

What's going on with the development of this these days? Still the same crew, focused on the same things? It seems like they've slowed down removing all the fun, which is good, and there are a few positive changes, like the books not taking up inventory space. I liked the change to mutation pots, although I was never a mutation roulette type, so YMMV.

Wu Jian was incredibly fun when first introduced. It's been neutered to the point of pointlessness, from what I can tell over an inter forum rivalry. There's just no gain from using the abilities instead of just tabbing.  The bizarre way this was handled and the incredible condescension from the Tavern folk really turned me off that community, which is sad, I used to love it.

I liked the version the people over at SA were doing, gooncrawl I think it was.  But I don't think that's been updated in a while, and I think due to stupid personal rivalries none of the servers host that branch anymore.

My favorite alt-melee god is uskayaw.  Encouraging you to not do smart things in melee can be an issue, with the line of sight thing and line pass encouraging you to leave safe chokepoints, but blowing up a big boss or unique with the ultimate ability is satisfying as hell.  As far as I know it one-shots anything with no save, even demon lords and the lernaean hydra and shit.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 990