Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1601686 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14775 on: July 24, 2020, 03:21:08 pm »

Well, my memories of older Crawl versions are somewhat clouded by nostalgia. There's no question that the quality of life changes so far have been positive.

The content changes, on the other hand...
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14776 on: July 26, 2020, 02:40:31 am »

I have returned to test out Trunk.

I will see what a Palentonga Delver can do.

Edit: Get killed on D:5 or D:4. That is pretty much it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 02:49:43 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14777 on: July 26, 2020, 05:31:50 am »

Or not being able to butcher because you were wielding a cursed club.

I started after the bad old days of victory dancing to advance your skills. I can't even imagine...
I didn't reach Lair until v0.17
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14778 on: July 26, 2020, 11:56:55 am »

Ah, the good old days of stashing stuff on Lair:2 so that nothing could spawn and mess with your dragon armours :D
OMG I don't miss that. Or taking off your gloves, helmet, and boots to fight a slime. Or faffing around with diseased meat. Or not being able to butcher because you were wielding a cursed club.

I actually liked the perma-corrosion... but the pre-bootknife era is why I played a lot of trolls.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14779 on: July 26, 2020, 02:57:02 pm »

food in a dungeon diver never made sense. in the history of roguelikes, roguelites, etc, etc, games that are dedicated combat delvers like DCSS mostly abandon food. the food stuff is rightly relegated to survival/sim games like CDDA and CoQ.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14780 on: July 26, 2020, 04:19:15 pm »

In DCSS food was mostly a way for the devs to limit the player spell usage (with the spell hunger system) despite there was already a mana and a miscast system in place.
Spell hunger was something that never affected npc/monsters, so i can only say good riddance to this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14781 on: July 26, 2020, 05:00:50 pm »

Wait, stone soup has ditched the food clock? That's almost enough to make me want to play it again...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14782 on: July 26, 2020, 06:11:30 pm »

Hunger clock mostly served to (initally) punish grinding, especially before the devs figured out what to do with OoD spawns. Whether or not losing food is a good idea will depend on what replaces it. A fixed-duration per-level clock is the start of an idea, but it doesn't solve the issue spell hunger was meant to.

On the other hand, since the removal of purple chunks (;_;) and corpse sacrificing (which in itself was underdevelloped to say the least), food was at best vestigial.

I'm genuinely curious what the current dev team's vision of a "final product" 1.0 DCSS looks like.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14783 on: July 26, 2020, 07:45:37 pm »

I mean, not gon' lie, if they replaced the largely arbitrary pain in the arse food clock for an even more arbitrary clock, like, what little interest hearing about them yeeting the food clock out of the window generated in me would die a rapid and probably permanent death, heh. An explicit clock would at least remove the nonsense busywork eating involved, but it still leaves the friggin' clock itself.

Seriously, if you don't want to let people grind just nix whatever mechanic they're grinding. Let XP/favor/item gain stop after whatever point you think is too much. Clocks are a pain in the bloody arse.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:48:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #14784 on: July 27, 2020, 05:17:34 am »

Eating was already fully-automated.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14785 on: July 27, 2020, 08:09:01 am »

Hunger clock mostly served to (initally) punish grinding, especially before the devs figured out what to do with OoD spawns. Whether or not losing food is a good idea will depend on what replaces it. A fixed-duration per-level clock is the start of an idea, but it doesn't solve the issue spell hunger was meant to.

On the other hand, since the removal of purple chunks (;_;) and corpse sacrificing (which in itself was underdevelloped to say the least), food was at best vestigial.

I'm genuinely curious what the current dev team's vision of a "final product" 1.0 DCSS looks like.

DCSS 1.0
We've decided DCSS is a redundant choice vs. Nethack, and removed it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:26:54 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14786 on: July 30, 2020, 03:37:40 pm »

DCSS 1.0
We've decided DCSS is a redundant choice vs. Nethack, and removed it.
Finally DCSS is perfect! There are zero no brainer choices, no spoilery content, no wrong ways for players to have fun!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14787 on: August 05, 2020, 01:22:04 am »

I don't care what everyone says. You can't do Tomb without Shining One.  >:( >:( >:(

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14788 on: August 05, 2020, 04:27:50 am »

Apparently the Trunk page is being updated again, so I grabbed a hungerless version. Toying around with Ogres and Trolls right now, will try to get an actual decent game during the weekend to report. Seems fun for now; I keep mashing C on every corpse from muscle memory.

Main concern is that while dying to hunger feels pretty bad, dying to an arbitrary clock is likely to feel far worse.

Also half the time I can't do Tomb even with TSO so :D

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14789 on: August 05, 2020, 01:30:56 pm »

Also half the time I can't do Tomb even with TSO so :D

It just bugs me since I had a perfect gear - Firestarter great mace with full Rf and bunch of immolation scrolls. Everything kept exploding left and right, whole screen was on fire, and still...
Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 990