Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial ***NEW 2015 SERIES***  (Read 617884 times)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 09:16:46 am »

This stuff is awesome, I'm sure it will be a huge help for lots of beginners. Good work. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 11:17:31 am »

Ya know, i appreciate that such a thing is being done, seeing as how DF has such a steep learning curve, but somebody needs to criticize you.

For one thing, yes the music needs to go, no if's, and's, or but's about it, it has to go. Combined with the fact that your voice is FAR too soft and quiet, this makes listening very hard. I mean it, your brutalizing my attention span.

Your english is passable, and the subtitles help (especially if their are any deaf people wishing to learn), and the fact that you can't read the occasional english word, seeing as it's not your native language, can be overlooked.

What CAN'T be overlooked though is the fact that you lack any sort of dynamism. Your horribly uninteresting to listen to, any person wanting to learn would need to REALLY want to learn in order to force themselves to listen to your slow monologue explanation of the game. Try to be more vigorous and energetic, it'll improve it alot.

Also, from what i can tell, you have each segment only briefly rehearsed. Yes, you have all the basics down, but it just seems your tackling things as they come to you. More thorough preparedness would definitely up the professional feel to it.

Please take my criticism in good grace, it is not my intent to insult you, I am only stating my observations and i want you to improve.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:19:36 am by chaoticjosh »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 12:13:27 pm »

For examples of good voicing, listen to This guy.

I actually hope he eventually does a Lets Play Dwarf Fortress. Unless he already has and I am missing out of the ultimate epicness.

"Elephants!? No, nononononono! Damn you bearded migits! I had it all planned! Whyyyyyyyy!"

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 12:19:18 pm »

It's awesome to know that their is someone else that watches deceasedcrab's stuff here. I really like his dialogue Let's Plays with MadamLuna.

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 01:31:22 pm »

Wow. of all the people on the internet you could link, you link DC. Thats amazing. I have some bad history with the guy. But let's not get to deep into that. You guys just meant it as an example. I just wished you linked someone like raocow or anyone else instead of him :)

Anyway, on the criticism. Your right on preparing, i only prepare a little bit, and i guess i should prepare a bit more. Especially when something happens at the end of a video, i usually record the next one immedeatly, and you'll see that in 10 and 11. I forgot to turn on the music in those videos. But i guess that will turn out as a good thing for you guys.

On the voice thing, i don't really think that i can change that. Im not a energetic guy and im not an actor either i don't think i can change that. And please do remember this is a $0 production, im doing this all on my own time, not spending and not getting any money for it.

I'll try to change some things in the next couple of vids, that'll be from 12+ though since up to 11 are already recorded.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:09:23 pm by captain_duck »

Customblingbling

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 12:45:59 am »

I think your style is perfect for what you are trying to do. When I have no idea what im doing I don't really want some hyped up super enthusiastic person trying to teach me something as in depth and detailed as DF is.

Your voice is very pleasing to listen to, and the 3 or 4 people ive showed your videos to agree also. The casual nature of your videos show that this is a fun and deeply relaxing game to get wrapped up in.
As far as preparation goes It's much better to learn from an actual game than some pre-staged tutorial that might not have any relation to the game that someone else might actually play. At least that's the way I feel about it. So yeah, don't change its fine!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 07:29:12 pm »

I gotta say I also think your style suits the game well, and (no offence americans!) I'd rather not listen to someone going crazy and trying to make it sound super-awesome like that DC guy :) (DF is awesome, but, ah you know).

And I like the background music... please keep it!  It makes the atmosphere, and I can still hear you fine.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 07:35:18 pm »

Alright 2 more episodes:
(allthough 10 has been ready since yesterday, but the my internet was down when i wanted to link it here)

Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part 10 - Migrants, Military and Requests: Youtube HD Gamevee
Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part 11 - Requests, Training and Specialized Stockpiles: Youtube HD Gamevee
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:15:18 pm by captain_duck »

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 10:31:36 pm »

Well guys. It has happened again. The dwarf fortress curse has struck again. My videocard just died earlier tonight.

Earlier tonight my computer was running a bit sluggish, so i checked and apparantly it had been running for nearly 2 weeks. So i rebooted it. When i tried to turn it on again, the fans went on for a second, went off and the computer did nothing.

So i tried a couple of things, and finnaly found out it was my videocard. Without it the fans stay on and it seems to run. With the videocard its dead after a second.

Anyway thats fucking great, its a geforce 8800 GTS to, had it just over 2 years. Ill buy a new one tommorow :(. No idea when i can continue with my tutorials again.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 08:28:47 am »

Bump! This is great, please update you 1st post, I've seen a few more videos.
Hope you continue!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 08:40:33 am »

Cool videos captain!  8)
Eh, somehow I've missed this topic, so I've created one myself yesterday... :-X
I've made an entry in the Guides & Tutorials category [DF wiki]: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Category:Guides -> Video Tutorials
There is a link inside, which redirects the user to this topic.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 11:51:01 am »

Someone do a Adventure mode tutorial
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 02:32:22 pm »

Cool videos captain!  8)
Eh, somehow I've missed this topic, so I've created one myself yesterday... :-X
I've made an entry in the Guides & Tutorials category [DF wiki]: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Category:Guides -> Video Tutorials
There is a link inside, which redirects the user to this topic.

Hah after you posted this i saw the topic, nice to know theres such an interest in these that you made your own topic :). Maybe i should have started this in general to but i thought it would be more fitting in gameplay questions.

Anyway i got my computer running again. It turned out to be the motherboard, not the videocard that was broken. Still cost me 90 euros and nearly a full day installing it and reinstalling windows because of it. Reinstalling all the recording programs and setting those up is a pain to. (for the interested im using camtasia 5 to record and make subtitles, and mediacoder to encode it.)

But everything seems to work now and i'm busy subbing episode 12, thatll be up sometime later today.

ravanous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 07:45:35 pm »

I wish these were out when I started... although I can't stand how messy your forts are.  Mine are almost too aesthetic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a first year fortress I am working on right now next to a mountain.

But anyway, I hope you do one on metalsmithing in general, or maybe one on high-end fortress management (how to tell your dorfs exactly what you want them to be doing and how to work-around annoying mishaps)

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 12:40:07 am »

Alright everythings back to normal. Ive also changed the sound level in this video, it should be a lot better. Music is still there, but my voice is louder and the music softer. Atleast it should be like that.

Anyway, here is part 12
Part 12: In this episode ill explain more about the military, bins, creating a secure entrance, and building walls. Also i have a bit of a cold.

Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part 12 - Migrants, Military and Requests: Youtube HD Gamevee
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27