Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial ***NEW 2015 SERIES***  (Read 617873 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 10:00:08 am »

Cool videos captain!  8)
Eh, somehow I've missed this topic, so I've created one myself yesterday... :-X
I've made an entry in the Guides & Tutorials category [DF wiki]: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Category:Guides -> Video Tutorials
There is a link inside, which redirects the user to this topic.

Hah after you posted this i saw the topic, nice to know theres such an interest in these that you made your own topic :).

Hehe! Yeah it's really nice that you took the time to create these tutorials. Hats off sir!  8)

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 12:30:40 am »

I get a lot more migrants in this episode, and finnaly explain trading. With all these migrants its time its time to expand into things like smithing, that'll be in 15+ though.

Part 13: In this episode ill explain more about fortress defense, trading and i get more migrants!

Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part 13 - Trading, Migrants and Defense: Youtube HD Gamevee

TheBrushOfTheathers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tales From Anethacamade
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 02:52:37 am »

These videos are wonderful... Now I have the some concrete chance of learning fortress mode! Thanks, and keep the videos coming  ;)
Gopet Cystpanted the Spurts of Bile was a deity that occurs in the myths of The Confederations of Sheltering. Gopet was most often depicted as a female ant and was associated with muck.

http://talesfromanethacamade.wordpress.com/

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 09:32:01 pm »

Here is part 14... in this i get my first dwarf with a mood.

Part 14: In this episode ill explain moods, herbalism, crossbow making, smoothing stone and engraving.

Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part 14 - Moods, crossbows, engraving: Youtube HD Gamevee

Dead Milkman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 07:07:51 pm »

Heyya Cap'n Duck!

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to do this. It has been some time since I played the game, and these will help me jump  back in.

On the latest video (Youtube version) the links in the "more" section are broken, but I have noticed that you can force the high quality version pretty easy.

There is a link just to the bottom right of the video that says "watch in normal quality" if you click this, then click it again it goes to the high quality verion.

ravanous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 05:45:44 am »

Part 14: In this episode ill explain moods, herbalism, crossbow making, smoothing stone and engraving.[/url]

In the video you said, "It's a good thing," (that the dwarf made the artifact), "because it will increase the dwarf's skill."  If I remember correctly, when the dwarf is possessed, he will not gain any skill from the making of the artifact.  This makes sense because, well, I probably wouldn't remember anything if I were possessed either.

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 10:29:31 am »

Part 14: In this episode ill explain moods, herbalism, crossbow making, smoothing stone and engraving.[/url]

In the video you said, "It's a good thing," (that the dwarf made the artifact), "because it will increase the dwarf's skill."  If I remember correctly, when the dwarf is possessed, he will not gain any skill from the making of the artifact.  This makes sense because, well, I probably wouldn't remember anything if I were possessed either.

Mhh, apparantly your right:

Quote from: DFwiki
Once all materials have been gathered, the game will once again pause and center, and the moody dwarf will begin construction. Upon completion the dwarf will gain a legendary skill (unless the mood type is possessed). See the skills and workshops for information on which skills can be gained, or the artifacts created section for more details on the artifacts themselves.

Never guessed that there would be exceptions. Anyway again, if i miss info like this, its smarter that you post it as a youtube comment since im not going to rerecord for this :)

In another note, im going to try and make a couple more episodes today, because im going to the parents tommorow for christmas, and there won't be any videos for a while.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:40:11 am by captain_duck »

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 07:56:42 pm »

I am unsure of what the content is but if its a video explaining how to play the game that would be super awesome! Away to check them out

Haha! Just checked the first youtube one and it appears thus far my assumption is correct, firing up DF right now! As a newbie these should be very useful to me, big thanks to the OP!

Appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07:59:12 pm by firefly28 »

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 10:53:41 pm »

Alright, some things got up today and i didnt manage to finish another video. And since im going to be out for a christmas break, there won't be much any new episodes in a while. Allthough i did record some videos, im taking those with me, maybe i will have the time to sub them at home.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 08:03:18 am »

Yeah captain_duck I appreciate you will be wanting to have a good christmas and I wish you well with that!

I will say though you are on to a big winner with those tutorials, I am a complete newbie and have went through the first 3 and they are awesome! I plan to go though many more today but once uyou have done all the newbie ones maybe move onto how to handle end game fortresses and such. I realise the videos are alot of work but from my own newbie perspective they are just what I need and are great, really easy to follow.

I am starting to love DF and I havent even scratched the surface yet, thats thanks in no small part to the massive amount of help I have had on this forum + you video tutorials (I like with the ones I have seen how you try to explain everything thats happening and you are giving newbies a kickstart which will result in more people playing DF)

All the best for christmas & NY, Have fun!

One things fo sure you have got me petrified of carp haha

Actually one thing captain duck, are you using a graphics package for DF and if so exactly what version are you using? Its just I want to use the exact same setup as yourself until I get better and I can follow your guides top the letter, its kinda weird as my default Dwarf fortress , well the icons look subtly differant to yours and theres a graphics package one I also have but that still looks a bit differant, all this is one area I could use advice on?

Just to update thats me about to do tut5, I am enjoying these. Starting to be like Woah! in regards to DF and I will link this post in my newbie post in which I ask lots of help questions as this stuff answers them well. (The reason I am only onto tut5 is because I wanted to get an area and make it exactly like the tuts + make sure I understood everything)

Keep up the good work  ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 12:39:58 pm by firefly28 »

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 02:11:45 pm »

Another tileset question :) . You know it is in the more info in the first 4 youtube vids, but i guess no-one reads that.

Anyway i have updated the OP with the tiles info im using.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 06:21:11 pm »

Yeah cant believe I missed that stuff :) , I am using the same version as you know and the game rocks, just going to run tut6 now so can finally clean up that ore!

TheMightyOne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 12:54:47 pm »

im pretty new, and im in my second fortress atm, my dwarfs seem to be happy the only thing they are missing seems to be a well. plz do a guide on how to make a well and channel water to it if its few levels below your actual fortress in one of your next videos. 

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2008, 07:25:22 am »

Yay, i have hit 10.000 total views on youtube tonight. 10.000 views out of nothing in about 2 weeks, thats pretty good i think. Better then my old LP's.

Anyway again, thanks to everyone for the support. It's nice to hear that you guys are enjoying these, since im doing these for you.

On the video side, not much has happened, havent had much time to work on subbing videos, christmas and such. I have been playing a bit of DF with 40d and mike mayday's graphics pack, and thats working very nice.

Also got a glass industry running for the first time. I never knew glass could be that nice. With magma and sand you have you have a nice infinite source of glass stuff. I've been making large green glass serrated discs constantly :)

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2008, 10:57:42 am »

Nice :) , yeah I have been on a few forums where DF is getting discussed and obviously the people who play regular are like "Its great!" however because of the learning curve many maybe didnt give the game a chance so Ive been basically saying "look give the game another go; go through the vid tuts and you will be addicted to df"

I have really taken my time with your vid tuts, part of the reason is there were some things happened differant in my game and I had to attend to them . Its so much easier to use the wiki now as the video tuts have got me able to relate better to any referances to the UI menus. I also like how everything is explained and you actually write a summary in text for each point made in the Vid.

I am a complete newbie who had so many questions about the game and the vid tuts have took me from 100% clueless regarding DF to able to play so that lets you know they serve their purpose very well.(Also consider I have only been playing DF for 4 days and I had no knowledge it even existed before this) If I get in a DF discussion on other forums the first things I link are:

The exact DF build you use
The vid tuts
I mention this forum as well

You have done a fair load of those tuts so it no wander you are just playing the game atm; I appreciate with the time of year and such you will be needing a break but when you do add more tuts please add them here as I am getting on great thanks to them! I actually havent got an account on youtube but once I have done all the tuts Im going to signup and rate the vids 5, I personally cant see how they could warrant any less than that because they have made and epic game accessible to me.

I will post no more on this thread now as away to play DF . Merry chistmas though - The vids are top notch(N.B Thats me just finished vid 14 so I think thats the last one , pitty :) I will keep an eye for your other ones, at least I can use the wiki better now)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 01:49:27 pm by firefly28 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27