Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial ***NEW 2015 SERIES***  (Read 616488 times)

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2009, 09:13:10 pm »

Sorry guys, i planned to do an update tonight, but preparing is taking really long. Also i filled the moats with water using pumps, and now my FPS has gone to a crawl, making it take even longer. Im using 40d9 to :(. Its prolly just the 125+ dwarves running around in an 8x8 zone, together with all the water movement lagging my CPU badly. Man i wish this program was multicore, i got a quadcore, if it just used all that i wouldn't have a problem.

I dont know if ill have any time for updates tommorow either, but i'll see what i can do.

EDIT: oh and that link is fixed
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:29:16 pm by captain_duck »

Chinook

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2009, 09:36:44 pm »

No prob, cap'n.  I'm just glad to see you working on these, still.  It's appreciated by quite a few of us, and I'm even saving them all to burn to a DVD to give others when they get the game, so I hope you keep going! :)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2009, 10:17:08 am »

Keep up the amazing work.  These videos are amzing and are helping me greatly.  Thank so very much for them, and I lvoe you accent.  ^_^

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2009, 08:01:22 pm »

Update

Part 25: In this part: Water safety. Channeling around water is very dangerous, and there are a couple of things you need to know before doing so.

Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part 25 - Water channeling & U-tubes: Youtube HD

Finnaly im getting into channeling, first an explanation on what to take care off, U-tubes. Or whatever you call that effect. Next episode will have magma channeling, installing floodgates and connecting levers to floodgates and bridges.

Also a little bonus, these are the images i used in the video. Im an mspaint master 8)

Chinook

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2009, 11:23:42 pm »

Thanks again for another great video.  Eventually these will end, and that's sad.  I hope you start doing LPs of DF or another game at that point.  :)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2009, 11:45:46 pm »

I dunno, DF doesn't seem like a game that would lend itself to LP's well.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2009, 10:13:45 am »

Yeah dwarf fortress is a game more suited to SSLP's , and im not planning on starting one of those anytime soon. Though ill prolly make some extra videos at the end of this series. But at one point, this series will end.

After that, i don't know. I had plans to LP either aquaria, or Little Big Adventure 2 at one point. There are also some other cool indie games that could use some attention. Also whats important is if i have enough time to LP games, which might change in a month or so. I'll see what happens when this series ends.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2009, 11:04:13 am »

I remember there was a little bug, that caused biblic floods when using "u-tube" (or connected containers). Is this still actual?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Shikon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2009, 12:20:42 pm »

f0or the stupid people under us =o

what is an LP ? or SSLP.

i have no clue ^_^

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2009, 01:17:47 pm »

f0or the stupid people under us =o

what is an LP ? or SSLP.

i have no clue ^_^

LP stands for "Let's Play", which stands for playing through a game, and then sharing that with the internet somehow, usually through a forum thread. There are screenshot lp's (SSLP), video LP's (VLP) and mixes of both, called hybrid LP's. For more info check out:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=191
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2725735

There are other places that have LP's to, but AFAIK it all started on the somethingawful forums, and i post there anyway. I have actually done a couple of LP's there:

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Final%20Fantasy%20Adventure/ - Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystiq Quest
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/SGnG/ - Super Ghouls & Ghosts, Ghosts & Goblins (arcade), Gargoyles Quest & Gargoyles quest II
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2726964 - Hard Truck Apocalypse and HTA: rise of the clans
I also had a thread with random snes games, but dont have a link to that anymore, its found in the bowels of google video if you really want to see them.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2009, 06:55:29 pm »

Heya, just had to post here and say how much I approve and enjoyed watching the tutorials, they helped me get into the game a lot at the start, and while I quickly moved past the learning curve, I'm still hoping you can get me to use windmills and water wheels I've been avoiding   ::)

Either way, these are great, and I'm so checking out that final fantasy LP thing.

Some tips:

On FPS, I'm constantly having trouble with fps problems in df, one of the biggest things that seems to make it work for me is turning off weather and temperature. Not sure if you have these on, but that would be the first suggestion to help. [ open the init file in notepad, change the settings for temp and weather to NO ]

Also, as to what to do after the tutorial, or a lp for dwarf fortress. Please do check out the community forums here. There are a lot of story and group fortresses along those lines that I think could make for a great cptduck production. Taking a fortress and naming in dwarfs for video updates I think would be awesome. You can use the link at the bottom of this post to go to my own community fort(not the best mind you, there are greater ones out there), and from there to the other threads.

Either way, Keep up the great work Captain. :) I'll look forward to whatever updates I find.

ps: this thread should oh so be stickyfied if any forum mods are reading.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 06:57:54 pm by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Chinook

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2009, 07:18:29 pm »

ps: this thread should oh so be stickyfied if any forum mods are reading.

Hear hear!

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2009, 08:05:17 pm »

I fixed most of my FPS problems by now, stopping the pumps and stopping water movement helped. Allthough i probably should try to turn the temp and weather off yeah.

Also, im very certain that whatever i do next, it will not be dwarf fortress related. It'll be something else, i need variety in my games :).

Anyway, update:

Part 26: This episode will have more on magma, and also i will explain floodgates, levers, bridges and how to link them up.

Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part 26 - Floodgates, Levers and Bridges.: Youtube HD

Man im happy thats done, i had a lot of technical problems making it. First i found out after recording that the sound was fucked (even though i recorded this straight after 25, and nothing was changed). Then recording sound again failed to, so its now a patchwork of sound bites over the original video. And on top of that while i was subbing, about halfway, i tried pressing "undo" once in camtasia. That was a bad idea, all my subs were instantly gone, Bah.

BoBoTheBum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2009, 08:10:35 pm »

Just wanted to pop in to commend you on a great job, Captain. :)

Jim94

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2009, 11:32:44 pm »

very good tutorial,best tutorial out there  8)
i needed a lot of help  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27