Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hand of Torment - Major Mod  (Read 1502 times)

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hand of Torment - Major Mod
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:19:46 am »

A total conversion mod for Dwarf Fortress. Replaces Dwarves, Elves, and Humans + one more new race, adds race-specific weapons/armor/shields (except the Zaltair who possess various weapons from the other races), some new materials and animals, alters/redos some creatures such as dogs and cats (new names, bodies, personalities) and a new megabeast - the Anima.

This is a first edition Beta. Many more features will be implemented in time.

In the file version, the first number indicates partial(0)/full(1) release. Second set inidcates major updates/changes. Third set indicates minor updates/changes. Fourth(Last) set indicates number of bug fixes since the last update/release.

Report any bugs or suggestions to me.

As of its first release, HoT has not been extensively tested in Dwarf Fortress mode. However, it was tested very early on in its development, and wood-cutting would not take place. I ask that someone:
a) confirm/refute this - however, the addition of several new weapons since the testing may allow woodcutting to take place.
b) if confirmed, find/suggest the possible problem in the entity or weapon raws.

To install, please make a back-up of the orignal raws in a different folder before placing these files into the main game.

A few notes:
a) Scythe (not warscythe) *should* be the correct digging implement. FIXED -Agheim Fortresses now use picks (albeit modified ones) for digging.
b) There may be various items listed under digging tools, but the Scythe is the only one that I have confirmed that works. FIXED
c) Initial embark screen may give you a weapon where the axe for woodcutting normally is. I'm not sure which one will/won't work though. 

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=726

Comments, suggestions, bug reports welcome and wanted!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:56:14 pm by StrikeTheSand »
I figured demons came from the 50 or so years of inbreeding between the things, like some weird goblin evolution.
I now have justification for genocide. Thank you.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Hand of Torment - Major Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:25:59 am »

A scythe for digging?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:41:41 am »

Yes, I know, I'm strange... That's going to be changed next update though. I forgot why I had it like that originally though... :|
I figured demons came from the 50 or so years of inbreeding between the things, like some weird goblin evolution.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 12:40:29 pm »

Yes, I know, I'm strange... That's going to be changed next update though. I forgot why I had it like that originally though... :|

Yeah it is weird indeed, change it.  ;D

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 03:26:07 pm »

Like I said, next update, which I'll speed up (rather, chop in half) just because of that... like I said, don't know why I have it like that... :P

Still, I think the idea of an Agheim chipping away at rock with a scythe is rather funny... though, in my mind, it looks like a dwarf:

Stupid McScythe, Agheim: Blasted rock!
Smarticus von Einstein, Cathair: Foolish little one.
Stupid McScythe, Agheim: Chip... away... you... stupid... son... of... an... Anima...
Jar Binks ( ;) ), Eveera: Haha, you're stupid.

Stupid McScythe charges the wrestler. He misses!
The wrestler laughs. Jar Binks falls over a cliff's edge.

:D  Ok, maybe a little anti-jar jar binks inserted.

Now, comments *other* than that please.  ;D

EDIT: I've decided to keep working on the next full major release and simply uploaded a new version with (modified) picks as digging implements. :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:51:46 pm by StrikeTheSand »

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 08:43:34 pm »

Eh, there's nothing preventing some sort of amalgam of pick and scythe.  The only things preventing a typical scythe from working are that the handle is optimized for reaping (a sort of pulling motion), not swinging, and that the metal head with the blade is too flimsy to properly support a piercing strike at something hard.  The handle switch is easy, and the blade component can be modified to be more substantial.  The weapon would be heavy and very off-balance, but that's not any different from an actual pick, just with a slightly sharper edge on the bottom.

StrikeTheSand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:01:22 pm »

Hm, intriguing idea... perhaps I'll add in something of the like next update.

By the way, I'd appreciate it if someone checked the raws for me; for the love of me I can't get my miners to use their blasted picks anymore! It has something to do with the switch from scythe back to pick, but I can't find any problems... I'll check again anyway.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:03:31 pm by StrikeTheSand »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 02:54:14 pm »

I am reviving this ancient history to comment on the fact that one of the metals in this mod melts at -200 F.  Since it is marked for use as a weapon/weapon ranged, ammo, digger, armor, and anvil, this results in Dwarves embarking with equipment that turns into a puddle of molten metal when they land.  The metal is called "negathysis".
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.