Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridgy Death.  (Read 961 times)

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridgy Death.
« on: December 13, 2008, 06:32:32 pm »

Earlier I had a most interesting idea. I decided that I would take advantage of the bridge's ability to fling things, and weaponize them. I wanted to fling magma death across the map, but after my pump tower was completed and everything set up, pulling the lever only raised the damn bridge, and left my precious red death in the firing chamber. This was an outside setup, no floors above the bridge or anything.

Why can I not make magma catapults? Also, since I'm already on the subject of weapon bridges, anyone have any deadly bridge setups besides the atom smasher and dump enemy/fling enemy kinds?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgy Death.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 02:15:44 am »

Well, there's the whole "drop into pit of water/spikes/magma/bears/water with carp/aligators" etc.

Or the "bridge to divert the siege through tunnels containing my champions" trap.
Magma is overrated.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 04:56:22 am »

Alas it doesn't work. I tried to make a watercannon to cool down tantruming dwarves the same way and it didn't work.
I figured it wouldn't work with magma either, since both are fluids.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 08:50:33 am »

The 'fling' function is probably only coded to work with solid objects, yeah. Sorry dude - cool idea those.

How about you turn it around and make it fling them INTO the magma?
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:39:09 am »

Just have some bridges randomly spread out all over your battlefields and fling the infidel at big walls. Bonus points if you build the walls with coloured stones to mark out a target, complete with bullseye.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:37:06 pm »

The 'fling' function is probably only coded to work with solid objects, yeah. Sorry dude - cool idea those.

How about you turn it around and make it fling them INTO the magma?

Toady clarified that the function name is actually "flingify()".  Just fyi.