Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Relationship Breakups?  (Read 818 times)

Boogerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Relationship Breakups?
« on: December 17, 2008, 02:24:05 am »

One thing I have noticed lacking so far is that once dwarves get to 'lover' status, they remain that way until married, or one of the dwarves dies. Same goes for marriage.
I think that dwarven relationships should be able to break-up, and have consequences for one or both dwarves. (I am quite keen to be able to see heartbroken Cog stalking his ex.)
Maybe relationship breakups could stem from disagreements, or even infidelity. Infidelity could also give the cheating dwarf/dwarves a social stigma, hampering further relationships.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relationship Breakups?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:23:10 am »

There's enough banal misery in the world without us having to simulate more of it.

ogion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:30:00 am »

Agreed.  >:(
Sy wut?! Me ranger is fishing in the well??? He better not catch anything...

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 05:49:35 am »

However, if one of the two lovers die, the other dwarf should "move on"... I never noticed it yet :/

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:50:24 am »

However, if one of the two lovers die, depending on the personality the other dwarf should "move on"... I never noticed it yet :/

Fix'd.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:49:38 pm »

I'm pretty ok with this idea, really. These types of things are part of the world simulation that Toady is going for, and they can cause some very interesting emergent behavior.

However, I'd like to see some racial/cultural tags that influence this. For example, right now the dwarves work on a purely love based marriage system. And one based on a a very, very strong bond, at that, since they never choose another dwarf if their lover dies. Which is cool.

But what happens when we have humans in our forts? Or Elves? Or goblins, even? What do they do? Humans aren't very good at the whole 'eternal love' thing. And most human cultures traditionally had arranged marriages. Which is simply a cultural trait and not a racial trait. Anyway, I'd like to see relationships be guided partially by the culture and partially by the race.

Dwarves: Naturally very monogamous. Tend to form very strong bonds, and rarely choose a new spouse if their current one dies. There should be some cultural shifts to this, of course. Maybe in some dwarven cultures marriage is considered vital to the survival of the fortress, so dwarves are required to remarry (assuming they aren't too old to have more children). That could make for some interesting love-less marriages.

Humans: Naturally monogamous, but up for lots of variation. They usually move on after a lover leaves them or dies, but this is heavily influenced by personality and culture.

Elves: Naturally polyamorous. Their eternal lives gives them little incentive to stay with any one person forever, and since they constantly seek growth and change, they find the idea of binding themselves to just one person odd. There may be some cultural influences on this, however, so there may be elven cultures that do have marriage, they simple think nothing of eventually divorcing and moving on.

Goblins: I see them as going one of two ways. One direction, they care nothing for love or marriage. Mating is simply a pleasurable experience that occasionally produces children. Parentage is unimportant to goblins anyway (with the babysnatching and all), so they don't worry about family ties. In the other direction, you could have very power-based mate selection. Polygamy is common, with powerful goblins taking as many concubines as they wish. Concubines and children become a symbol of status. Perhaps the scarcity of available mates drives them to steal children from other races to raise their own status within the society? Considering that goblins are immortal, they'd think nothing of waiting years for a stolen child to grow up before making them concubines.

Kobolds: Anything is fair game if you can steal it, mates included. Ownership is such a fleeting thing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:07:27 pm »

I'd like to see Dwarves putting a lot more emphasis on the pre-dating-esque phase. It seems to me that once someone's declared their love or what-have-you, all dwarves would think of that as basically marriage, and that the interesting stuff would happen before that. Humans would have a lot more interesting stuff happening at the "in a relationship" phase, like we see in human society in general.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.