Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Trees

(1/4) > >>

Terratoch:
I opened up the matgloss_wood raw and changed every biome tag to ALL_MAIN in an effort to see trees grow on mountains and in a desert but to no avail. Is that not the correct file to change, or is it just impossible to change the biomes of trees.

Aqizzar:
No you got it right.  Trees just won't grow on terrain marked as mountainous, even if it's an allowable biome.

I might me be wrong though.  Did you do this to a gameworld already in progress, or did you generate a new world?  If the latter, it's probably impossible then.

Terratoch:
But I'm not seeing them appear in deserts either. And yeah, I remember I have to generate a new region every time I change a raw file.

Osmosis Jones:
Toady has stated trees will only grow in areas with sufficient soil moisture. As deserts are somewhat dry, and mountains probably have very good drainage, I can't see either having the water levels required to grow trees.

Ascii Kid:
Did you try upping the minimum rainfall amount and capping the drainage?  I'm not sure if this would solve the problem, or if it would just make it so no deserts or mountains appear, but barring either of those it might solve the problem.  Seems to me, tho, that the terrains have a range, so there might be room for play.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version