Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Birth of the Dark Elf  (Read 4347 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Birth of the Dark Elf
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:29:01 am »

Ah! Elves! Where, where, I kill them, I kill them!

Oh, wait, no.

Daark Elf

A common fantasy feature, a darker cousin to the standard treehugging, prancing elf. Ranging from kobold-like cave inhabitants, to evil pirates, sailing Large Castles menacing with spikes of whatever.
Curiously absent from DF. Whilst you may call elves evil cold hearted buggers, you know they could be so much, much worse. They could be bigger, meaner, [IMPROVED_BOWS] versions of the goblins.
Yeah..

Thelirenelime growled and stomped back through the snow to the small fire. Six other elves sat around it, warming themselves off its meager flames.
Thelirenelime shook his head. They were burning their own clothes to keep warm in the middle of a snow covered forest,  rather than burn wood yet unfallen. 
Thari, the old druid, grunted, sat up, and took several strawberry biscuits from the pile infront of him. The others looked up expectantly, but Thari hobbeld over to the reindeer that had been carrying their packs, and gave each a biscuit.
"Mifiena, Thari! That is our last food! Those reindeer are well fed and fit, whilst we sit here with our bones shining through our skin, shaking with cold!" shouted Thelirenelime.
"Kindness to nature, Thelirenelime; that is the way of the elves"
"Kindness? We are giving nature our lives, but nature cannot aford to give us a few branches in return?"
"Heresy, Thelirenelime! One elf must spend his whole life in service of nature in order to undo the damage he does in living: You know this as well as I"
"Gaagh! That is stupid! Those thoughts are what lead to us having to come out here, because man and dwarf have conquered all other lands!"
"You may not have those thoughts, Thelirenelime, you are an elf!"
"But where on my skin does it say I must do this? Which organ makes me a treehugger? Remember the gobln raid four years ago? It was lead by an elf, and he showed no remorse when he burnt our hometrees, and killed our pets!"
"But he had been kidnapped by goblins, they have ways with people, horrible ways"
"But he was an elf nonetheless. So these thoughts I may have! Our elven ways are stupid, suicidal!"
"HERESY! All loyal elves present, kill him!"
The other elves looked at each other. Then Icemi stood up.
"See, Thelirenime, elves will never give up their faith!" shouted Thari. "Now kill him!"
"If I may have a word" interupted Icemi. "Thelirenime is right. We should not starve whilst our animals are bloated, nor should we freeze whilst trees have no wounds or pain."
Icemi sat down again, to the vague mumbles of agreement from the other five elves. Thari gaped.
"But- but- the- eh- elves- nature is-" he stuttered.
"Nature! May look after itself for a while!" shouted Thelirenelime, and grabbed a branch of a pine tree.
"No! Thelirenelime, look in your heart, you know you can't!" protested Thari, but [IN SLOW-MO!] Thelirenelime pulled the branch down,
Thari dived towards him, the other elves almost got up, Thelirenelime dodged Thari, who fell face first in the snow, the branch began to tear, and then (normal speed),
the branch broke off, and a terrible mental scream issused from the tree, knocking Thelirenelime down, and contorting the faces of the other elves.

Thelirenelime got up slowly, a terrible look on his face.
"So nature turns against me, after all I have done for it?"
He thrust the branch into the fire. The dry pine quickly burst into flame. Thelirenelime held it up, then pushed it into the remaining branches. as the flames licked at it,
the tree sent out continual mental screams, but with each passing second the pain became less and less for Thelirenelime, until eventually it became unoticeable.
Thari managed to push his face up.
"You- monster" he breathed.
"Monster? For harming a plant? Of course. Thou shalt not kill the plant. EY, REINDEER?"
"N-no!"
"Our friendly reindeer have been seen tearing all the bark of a tree, effectivley killing it, to satisfy an itch! They have eaten plants without performing the proper rites!
And we all know the punishment for such blantant disrespect for mother nature, don't we?" said Thelirenelime, an evil smile on his face.
Several days later, stomachs full of reindeer meat, warmed with reindeer cloaks, leaving a trail of burnt, mutilated trees in their wake, the elves came across a cave entrance.
From within, several glowing eyes stared out.
"Goblins?" asked Icemi.
"They live in towers" replyed Thelirenelime. "Kobold, I think."
"Those thieving skulking filth? Pah!"
"Yes, but that cave looks like better shelter than the local wildlife strung between two burnt trees" They both laughed loudly.
They advanced on the cave. And indeed, a canine shape slunk to meet them.
"Elf. Go. We Kill You, Yes. Hak hak hak"
"Tsk. Even Kobolds look down on elves nowadays" said Icemi
Thelirenelime leaned down to the kobold and grinned. Blood glistened on his sharpened teeth.
"Kobold. Go. We Kill You Better, Yes. HA HA HA!" he said, shouting the last part with violence.
The Kobold stared at the elf with the blood on him, acting violently, and its tiny brain made the last decision it would ever, and it stabbed Thelirenelime in the leg.
Everyone was very impressed when Thelirenelime picked up the kobold and tore him into two pieces.

I'm thinking a bit of modding, embark in a kobold cave, ???, profit.

Edit: Yay comments!
Finnaly found a good site. Do kobolds have a death wish, or do their limbs fall off in year 10?
Anyway. The single dark elf retreat got destroyed in year 20ish, by elves, so their is no homeland, and the elves are at war with me. The site is a large, 4 deep kobold cave in the middle of a snow-covered forest. There's a cave river somewhere (I know because it's inhabitants keep on falling down the drain). Plenty of (iron)ores and gems, and the basic stone layer is limestone.
---
"Hmmn. Not as tough as that ravid wolverine" said Icemi.
"Tastes worse, too" replyed Thelirenelime, spitting out a chunk of kobold.
The other kobolds cautiously reapeared from the cave.
"Do we kill them?" asked another elf
"I doubt that will be neccesary" said Thelirenelime, grinning, as the kobolds unanomously bowed in his direction.

Before the end of the day, the elves were settleing in to their new home. The kobolds had helped to drag their supplies inside, although when not under the constant supervision of Thelirenelime, they didn't do as much work. They didn't understand the elves' need for larger rooms, or any form of furniture.
"They are so crude, yet so facinating" said Icemi, pacing the small cavern where most of their stuff was stored "Take this cave. Most of it is natural, but some parts are obviously artificial. Excavated using these metal tools. It's as if elves are the only peoples on the planet who can't work metal."
"More evidence of the flawed doctrine we get drilled into us", remarked Thelirenelime. "The ability to work metal will certainly be the key to our survival as a species. You should investigate it."
"Yes, of course. I'll get a kobold to show me how it's done"
"And then make some of these tunnels a little bigger. More storage space, that sort of thing"
"And what do we do with Thari?"
"Same as before. Keep him tied, over him only meat to eat and blood to drink"
---
If anyone does want to adopt one of these naturephobes, I'm cool with that. There's a male carpenter/bowyer/woodcrafter, a male hunter, a male grower/herbalist, and a female cook.

Also, suggestions for things to do (make everyone eat kobold, krazy darkelf megaprojects) are apreciated. Good ones may even be implemented.

EDIT2: These are not dwarves. For discussion regarding whether they are dwarves, see page 2.
And for those who like this sort of thing, the entity_default entry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/b]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:53:03 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of the Dark Elf
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 01:16:56 pm »

Sounds interesting. I'm interested in seeing the results!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 02:30:14 pm »

Do it.
I do like the other stories in here, but we do need a bit of variety. If you're opening up for community involvement as well, I'll take a dorf elf non-tree-hugging lunatic ;D

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 06:03:26 pm »

Do it do it do it do it do it do it! ;D

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:07:22 pm »

Heck, I'd watch it!
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 11:31:37 pm »

Hm. You may well have just inspired me to add Dark Elves to my Legendary Lands mod with that little story.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:47:23 am »

If you do anything community-ish, I'll join in.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Balor Kartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 10:58:11 am »

Epic Storytelling, I very much enjoyed reading so far

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 11:30:41 am »

Can I have the carpenter?
Call him Hirel.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 11:43:26 am »

If I may, I'd like the Hunter. Name him Trilby.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 01:38:03 pm »

I'll take the cook  ;D
Call her Vicarrah... bonus points if you can get her to like meat  :o

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 02:26:16 pm »

Done. It. Made the mod. Corrected the spelling. Bought the T-shirt. AND I balanced them by giving them a wetland bioem which is kinda restrictive.

Of course my lot cut down trees and live underground, but what can you say? I have "Three hearts and three lions" plus "The children of Hurin" on my side. And I didn't call them Elves.

Anyway, the problem is that without giving them woodcutting, which destroys their essential character in Toadyland,  Elves have no way to build anything. This is something of a problem. The "tree singing" or whatever that allows elves to gather wood without killing trees isn't enabled in-game, and there's no way to produce those wooden weapons and armour you'll need.

EDIT: Oh yes, Elves DO pretty much tear kobolds to shreds. Even unarmed. You should see what Elven hunters do to a perfectly innocent wilderness area. These days, I just tell the woodcutters to do the hunting.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:29:49 pm by Marlowe »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 03:50:48 pm »

Done. It. Made the mod. Corrected the spelling. Bought the T-shirt. AND I balanced them by giving them a wetland bioem which is kinda restrictive.

Of course my lot cut down trees and live underground, but what can you say? I have "Three hearts and three lions" plus "The children of Hurin" on my side. And I didn't call them Elves.

Anyway, the problem is that without giving them woodcutting, which destroys their essential character in Toadyland,  Elves have no way to build anything. This is something of a problem. The "tree singing" or whatever that allows elves to gather wood without killing trees isn't enabled in-game, and there's no way to produce those wooden weapons and armour you'll need.

EDIT: Oh yes, Elves DO pretty much tear kobolds to shreds. Even unarmed. You should see what Elven hunters do to a perfectly innocent wilderness area. These days, I just tell the woodcutters to do the hunting.
I'm afraid I don't understand this post. Dark elves don't have any problems with chopping down trees; thats the point. If that's what you're saying. And they live underground; because that's more evil. And they are elves; just evil.
And, on an unrelated note:

Done. It. Made the mod. Corrected the spelling.
bioem

Because I don't want a boring reply-only post
---
I lie in the cave. Surrounded by darkness.
This is not my home. This is not my life.
The stone hates me, the air is killing me.
I wish for the sun to heal my wounds.
But then I open my mind, let the darkness in.
Now I am one with the cave. I am darkness.
I hear the stone scream as the outside kills.
Power flows back. I am elf no longer.
I am Darkelf.
---
Because I was thinking, you're an elf, you've lived in a tree all your life, how do you cope with living in a cave?

EDIT: Moar stoary. Because I write this for fun.
---
Thelirenelime sighed. Was this it? Was this what he had wanted, all those years ago?
He got off his throne and walked over the shining floor to the balcony. Clouds blocked the view, but only the slightest effort was required to remove them.
In the distance, far below, another tower glistened. Merely inferior steel, only coated with adamantium. Under it stood a crowd of smaller towers, their glowing mage links lighting up the scene with blue light. Looking directly down he could see the mage link between this tower and the other, with several link riders coasting along it. If he walked around the balcony, he would see the same in the other three directions. His empire. Elves ruled the planet. Humans, extinct. Dwarves, undead only. A few living goblins still exsisted, but only for sport. Kobolds, a mass produced delicacy.
Thelirenelime sighed again. There was nothing left to do, that was the point. Sure, he could arange to fight a hundred goblins unarmed, but he would win anyway. Conquering the demonpits had been the final straw. They now had virtually unlimited mana, and all the adamantine in the world. And Icemi's head, of course.
He jumped over to the stairwell. It always felt lighter up here. Research mages said it was because there was less gravity. That was another thing. 'Gravity' was one of the many new things that came with this global empire. Back in the day you fell because you did, not because the planet was pulling at you. And now they said that the whole planet was moving. That there were more planets. They were even planning to send a magecraft to one. If they could tear themselves away from the thunder-machines. Viccarah showed him, he said, every mage can create lightning, she said, this uses no magecraft.
He couldn't see the point.
He went down into Vafice's lair. Vafice was sleeping, magelight reflecting off her adamantine scales.
"Wake up, Vafice" Thelirenelime said. Joints creaked and mechanisms rumbled as the dragon awoke. Vafice yawned, displaying her array of diamond teeth. Her saphire eyes glinted as her brain sparked.
"They say every star is a sun, with planets. They say there may be other worlds, inhabited by more men, more dwarfs, more elves"
Vafice snorted.
"Yes. We shall have fun."
Vafice made an odd noise with her throat. Thelirenelime joined in with her laughter, then jumped onto her back, opening the doors. The sky beckoned. Vafice stretched her wings, and leapt out.
---
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:32:20 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 07:57:55 am »

I'm afraid I don't understand this post. Dark elves don't have any problems with chopping down trees; thats the point. If that's what you're saying. And they live underground; because that's more evil. And they are elves; just evil.
And, on an unrelated note:

Done. It. Made the mod. Corrected the spelling.
bioem

See, this is the problem with in-character game reports. Because you didn't actually SAY any of that. You talked about mutilating trees but not about chopping (In-character, how do these guys get an axe?) and living in a cave but not about digging. So I'm still in the dark as to how exactly you're going to change them and how they're going to live. In short, I want to know how it's going to work.

BTW. "Corrected the spelling" refered to a little bug I  had with renaming professions (I kept typing "crossbowmen" instead of "crossbowman"). And not a dig at you.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 02:41:59 pm »

So.... they're dwarves?
Pages: [1] 2 3