Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I don't understand.  (Read 5007 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: I don't understand.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 06:19:32 am »

Erm.

I think what I meant was that,
cheating is wrong, or that telling the truth is the only way to go.

is what you were taught, yet that it really doesn't prepare you for what you have to deal with in life. Though if I had my way, thats not how I would have explained it to tell you the truth. I'm not very good with words ya see.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 06:43:01 am »

Ultimately, there is no absolute evil, nor is there absolute good.

Blame is placed on things, people argue, values change.

The superhero is, more or less, a modern twist on the age old epic hero; he embodies the higher values of the American society such as justice, fairness and so forth while having a flaw. Every comic hero has a flaw.

All this is just folklore, stories told to people and reality is different. This doesn't mean that people shouldn't strive for good, and as much as I'd hate to admit it, I don't think that we tell people enough about doing good. People ignore crimes they wouldn't commit, turn a blind eye to wrongs. This is the only thing that needs to change.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 06:59:06 am »

Well, I do tell the truth most of the time (because I'm a bad liar ::) )
telling the truth may hurt in my case, but everything works itself out for now, so
don't lie if you don't have to - that's what I do

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 07:04:31 am »

I just don't understand...  how we gave it all away so easily, so foolishly...  and we never even thought to ask for anything in return.
When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things.

In childhood the mind, pleased with every trifle and void of care, vacantly pursues its little pleasures, and, blessed with ignorance of the ills and disappointments of life, looks forward with sanguine hopes to fairy scenes of happiness; while the bright and tearless eye, resting on the outside of things, sees a paradise in every lawn and grove. A recollection of these childish delights is often cherished with rapture in future years, while the man, forgetful of the frettings and whining of childhood, indulgently inquires, Why were the former days better than these? But he does not ask wisely concerning this. A virtuous manhood is much more to be desired than the state of children. It is capable of far nobler pursuits, of knowledge, enjoyment, and action more congenial with the ends of our being. The child has no high and manly aim, no cares for great and dignified things, little thought for his future well being.

(I'm just quoting some guy)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 05:09:24 pm »

And to think. I even bothered to type up what I thought about this subject without quoteing some guy. Damn, I want my half hour back!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 06:42:50 pm »

If I may return to this topic to comment on good vs. evil;

There are no good or evil desires; two men may want justice. For the rape of a friend, as a horrifically extreme example. One man may sternly follow the rules and go through the proper system, while another may respond with the brandishing of an avenging knife.

And, of course, there's always the chance that you can be caught somewhere in between, teetering on the edge of drastic action but held back by a leashing thread of decency.

*disclaimer: this hasn't happened to me, although I can't be held responsible for what might happen if I stumble across such in an alleyway.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 06:50:41 pm »

One man may sternly follow the rules and go through the proper system, while another may respond with the brandishing of an avenging knife.
"legal" and "moral" are two different things. Following the rules does not guarantee that you're doing the right thing.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 07:36:27 pm »

Doing a good thing is not guaranteed to be good.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 09:48:31 pm »

Hm... anyone got any motto while were at it?

Mines is.

"Part of existing in this universe or dimension is accepting the fact that anything, and everything is possible, so like anything, and everything can be wrong, including this."

(Course, than again what is wrong or right? So I guess it's more of a question or a fact, which ever you prefer.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 10:03:06 pm »

It looks like Fishersalwaysdie can put another notch in his signature.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 03:14:13 am »

I can't truly say I have ever actually experienced the blissful ignorance of early childhood. I can't really remember anything from before I was around 10.

Through the creation of currency with no value, the general population has a skewed vision of reality. Perhaps the innocence is found not in those that do not notice the window through which they look, but those who question the things on the other side.

There are enough natural resources and technology to provide a great standard of living to every person in the world, but sadly, there are those that would not want this to come to pass.

Jimi Hendrix once said: "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 03:18:16 am by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 03:23:47 am »

Through the creation of currency with no value, the general population has a skewed vision of reality. Perhaps the innocence is found not in those that do not notice the window through which they look, but those who question the things on the other side.

So you seriously think that people's views on reality are skewed because of fiat money? Come on. That's even silly by Ron Paul standards.

Also, just for your information, ALL of "value" is artificial. None of it is inherent to an object. Ever. Just because guys are walking around with banknotes that have value because the government says they do and people will take them does not mean that their view of reality is more skewed than that of a man who passes around bank notes backed by gold or silver or oil or bacon or anything else, which also would have value simply because people decide they do for some reason or another.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 08:31:56 am »

This entire conversation reminds me of the Voltaire song "Goodnight Demon Slayer".

Specifically the lines: "This world of our's is not as it seems, The monsters are real but they're not in your dreams. Learn what you can from the beasts you defeat, you'll need it for some of the people you'll meet."

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 02:47:44 pm »

You may not know this, but in the US, the dollar bill used to be backed in gold, and is now made of debt.

It's not so much the money that skews people's view, but a general atmosphere of scarcity that is present. Many people in possession of large amounts of resources are unwilling to share these resources, even though they cannot possibly utilize even a tiny fraction of.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 02:51:02 pm »

I know it used to be gold-backed, but our whole "culture of debt" situation is based on more than just the lack of that. Frankly, I think that if we DID switch to gold-backed currency, it would fail partially for these reasons; it would still leave the country in form of national debt, and people here (especially those with a lot of money) would end up hoarding it *because* it has real scarcity.

At any rate, I think it has more to do with the general American attitude towards things than with what type of currency we use.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3