Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69

Author Topic: Community Mods and utilities list.  (Read 1179500 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Community Mods and utilities list.
« on: December 20, 2008, 07:57:58 am »

Community Created Mods and Utilities
Celebrating 10 years of the best mods!

Most of the major mods are listed here, along with tutorials and utilities.
I hope you find it useful.  :)

Mods using DF 0.34.11 and under are at a link at the bottom of the page, currently only mods I know work with 40.01+ are here.

Dwarf Fortress

Tutorials: If your having any problems overcoming the steep learning curve of dwarf fortress these are the things to check out.

Dwarf Fortress Wiki This is an excellent source of information on dwarf fortress, and has tutorial pages devoted to all levels of player.
MacNewbie beginner pack for Mac
The DF Starter Pack bundles Dwarf Fortress with the best community graphics packs, tools, and interface improvements already configured.
PyLNP is an open-source and cross-platform launcher for DF and related content - including managing and merging mods.

Essential Utilities: These utilities take some of the repetition out of many of the common tasks, or can be used to repair things when they break

Dwarf Therapist  <--- It makes Dwarf fortress playable.  It's that good. Get it!
DFHack <--- WHEN things break you will need this.

Dwarf Fortress Mods

Lucelle Weapons and Armour Adds in over 150 historical weapons and armor from a variety of cultures.
Orichalcum This mod gives uses to otherwise underused minerals and objects in-game, as well as an expanding on the present categories of items and minerals.
Fantastic Dwarf Fortress: a mod that aims to remove micromanagement while still managing to add features. Aims to have an easier early game but a harder end-game.
Wanderer Mod Adventure mode crafting and alchemy, more dialogue text, material rebalance and tiered leather and more.
Direforged  several new entities, many with their own languages, more than fifty creatures of various nature, from hiveable vermin to megabeasts and night creatures, decorative and mythic workshops, and a gem-based adventure mode magic system.
Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom (total conversion) You should view what this mod does, it is Mario themed, but I do not think I can make a description to do it justice.
Fortbent (total conversion) a Homestuck mod that adds playable trolls and lots of other Homestuck stuff
Dragon Ball (total conversion) Play as the saiyans in a quest to... avoid tantrum spirals as much as possible!
Random Raw Scripts Python 2.7 scripts that randomly generate large beasts, vermin (including giant versions), night creature hags, and vampires.
Dark Ages IV: War & Mythos Massive Horror Fantasy mod. Incorporates features of many older mods.
Dragonic Civilization The restarted from scratch version of the Dragonic Civilization mod.  This edition is now prepackaged and hosts new creatures, a new setting, tiered metals, and maps of the eastern and western hemispheres of earth.
Black Powder Firearms Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Stal's Armoury Pack Contains about 70 historical weapons and 65 historical articles of armour and clothing. Also changes how weapons and armour behave.
Nchardahrk Elder Scrolls total conversion mod
Modest Mod - a collection of tweaks, bugfixes, and FPS boosters.
Old Genesis Very old and popular mod with various Fortress Mode enhancements. Aims to "Keep the spirit of Vanillia".
The Earth Strikes Back! Adds surprises to mining like valuable gems, pet rocks, and hostile creatures... plus Tribute workshops to make the most of these surprises.
Warhammer Mod total conversion based on the Warhammer Fantasy setting.
Solari Adds a solari race.
Adventurecraft Adventure mode expansion.
Appearance Tweaks Gives elves pointy ears, female dwarves grow beards, and better child names.
Cloth Armor Mod Adds several types of glass weapons and historical cloth armor with other related buildings, items, and reactions.  Also comes with Minotaur, Drow, Deugar, and Ogre civs.
Crematory Overhaul Lets you burn garbage.
Desolation A world of mutations and darkness.
Expanded Good/Evil Regions Adds a lot of new content to Good and Evil regions to keep the unicorns and zombies company.
[Rubble] First Landing addon pack A highly elaborate Sci-Fi mod relying on DFhack to go where no other mod has gone before.
FORTAL KOMBAT! -Round 1:FIGHT!
Fortress Defense Mod II Adds a bunch of powerful siegers to test your forts against.
Grim's History and Realism Mods 70 new weapons, and combat rebalanced for realism.
Kazoo's Silk Egg A small mod that lets you farm silk from spider eggs.
Kobold Kamp A playable society of primitive kobolds.
More leather mod Lets you get more than one unit of leather from butchered animals.
Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod A massive collection of new creatures.
My Little Fortress: Friendship is Magma A My Little Pony mod based on Desolation. Includes content from fan works like Fallout:Equestria.
My Little Fortress: Losing is !!Magic!! Another MLP mod, this one being more loyal to the show.
Procedural Decoration Legends Heavy improvements to the engraving system allows you to have whole stories engraved on walls.
Spellcrafts - Another Lame Magic Mod! Yer a wizard, Urist!
Star Wars:Jawa Fortress A Star Wars total conversion.
Succubus Dungeon Playing as demons.
Teh LOLmod A community mod, built to enable the Necrothreat series of succesion forts.
LC's Terrible Weapons Pack "...a whole cartload of destructive, graceless, gruesome rubbish." New weapons, all improvised and ugly.
Undertale: Pretale Mod This mod fills you with Determination.
ZM5's Modpack - Warcraft, Dragon's Dogma, and more A wide, eclectic collection of new content, with a Warcraft emphasis.
FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS Adds dinosaurs to Dwarf Fortress.
Dwarf Fortress From Scratch! An unusual community mod in which almost all default raws have been removed and slowly replaced by custom creations.
Combo Weapons Mod A few hybrid weapons.
Amostubal's Expanded Dictionary Adds almost 15,000 words to each language.
Ancient Guns Mod Adds some primitive firearms.
Cat Fortress "Play as cats in fort mode or other animals in adventure mode."
Colony Alpha <<<Warhammer 40k, Squats, Orkz, Eldar and more... >>  Warhammer 40k mod.
Deadlier combat! Faster bleeding!Makes people feel more pain and bleed out faster.
New Age Vilous Mod Content from the Vilous fantasy setting.
Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot 2.2.2 Another 40k mod, this one running on Milo Christiansen's Rubble system.
Undertale Mod IndigoFenix's take on Undertale.
The Deep Ones: Return of the Carp God Cultists and Lovecraft's Deep Ones.
Plump Helmet Invaders Self explanatory.
Fluffy Pony Mod Adds Fluffy My Little Pony creatures.
Assorted Creatures Pack
Assorted Mods Normanid Mod,Necskelon civ mod,  cult of Shrek
Lands of Duality - adds many new creatures and plant types for good and evil biomes, along with some new weather types.
Dwarfest Dungeon - adds Darkest Dungeon creatures - several invaders, but also many wild creatures, mostly in evil biomes. Many have attacks that will cause negative moodlets in your dwarves.
Zombies Ate My Dwarves - pack with various horror monsters - some cheesy classic horror movie monsters, several invader races (probe-wielding aliens, chainsaw-wielding, inbred cannibal hillbillies, land-locked undead and occasionally mutated pirates, various skeletons that make bad puns, etc.), as well as monsters from Doom and Splatterhouse.
What Lurks Below - a revamp for the caves, adding in many more plants and creatures to make the underground more dangerous and lively.
Merged Megabeasts - simple mod that adds in several new abominable megabeasts that merge the features of existing vanilla ones - i.e the Bronze Roc, a flying mechanical roc-like creature made of bronze, or the Cyclodragon, a giant, scaly humanoid with one eye and fire breath.
Fallout Equestria Redux - a continuation of the My Little Pony/Fallout crossover mod, with proper automatic/multi-projectile firearms, dozens of spells, power armor and more
Voliol's Various Vivants - adds various real-life animals and plants, such as ibises and lemon trees
Diablo Mod - large pack that adds monsters and races from Diablo - most of the wild creatures aren't confined to evil/savage biomes.
bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod Allows you to create moving parts within your fortress that move on wheels connected to power sources
Primal Adds several hundred dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures.
All Races Playable Allows you to make a human or elfin village.
Monstrous Manual A pack containing content from Dungeons & Dragons, attempts to be as compatible as possible with other mods.
Domestically Bred Dwarven Beasts Spiritual successor to the Deeper Dwarven Domestication mod
Splint's utility mod to the list - adds a bunch of workshops and utility reactions for stuff like bulk block making, stone/glass/metal beds, etc.
Sver's DF Combat Reworked A rebalance to make weapons more distinct, armor more useful, wounds more serious, speed more important, and combat less absurd.
Veterinarian golems Adds golems that magically heal animals.
WillowLuman's Daleks & Cybermen Adds the aforementioned Doctor Who monsters.
Dwarvemon A mod that adds Pokemon and Pokemon related stuff
LISA: The Dwarfful - a Life Ruining DF Experience - TC mod that converts the regular fantasy setting into one based on the LISA games.
The Long Night Total Conversion to a post apocalypse earth.

Dwarf Fortress Graphics packs: These change the tilesets and the graphics of the game.

Gemset
Phoebus' Graphic Set
Ironhand's Graphics Set
Mayday's
Taffers tileset
CLA Graphic Set
Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset

Visualizer Utilities: These read the map layout from Dwarf fortress memory and generate different most of the time 3d projections of the terrain in DF.

Stonesense
IsoWorld
Armok Vision

Miscellaneous utilities: These do not fit neatly into other categories, if they become numerous I will make new sections for them.

Quickfort Some people would classify this as an essential utility, it allows you to use .CSV spreadsheets to plan and build a fort... Very rapidly I might add.
PerfectWorldDF Utility to make your own world in any manner you want and how you want it to be. You want a world that looks like a smiley face or the united states? THIS IS THE UTILITY!
SoundSense A sound engine for DF which brings tons of new sound FX and music. It takes the game to a whole new level. Many who try it are no longer willing to play without. (version independent)
Legends Viewer Recreates legends mode from exported data, plus hyperlinks, better formatting, etc.
World Viewer.) Recreates Legends Mode from exported data. Browser like navigation, including tabs, allows to easily view other people/places/entities by just clicking names in the event logs or search lists, including a graphical map.
Pathing Simulator A maze navigation simulator which functions as a demo for path finding optimizations. (version independent)
WinMerge Open source software. Useful for installing mods as you can see what is changing.
PictureFort - a utility that converts images to Quickfort blueprints.
Symmetricity Fortress planning with symmetry
Text Will Be Text DF Hack plugin.  Changes the UI some.
Accessibility Utility reports your location and lets you add bookmarks to the map
Appearance Tweaks makes cosmetic changes like pointy elf ears and bearded female dwarves
Adventurers Journal V2 AJ2 creates a quests system for the adventure mode of the Dwarf Fortress game.

Modding Utilities: These are tools that help with modding your fortress.

This is the modding guide on the Dwarf Fortress wiki, which may be helpful.
DFLang Generates Language files
Raw tile selector & Raw tile merger Raw tile selector: Simple graphical interface to select tiles and colors for plants, stones and small creatures.   Raw tile merger: Easy to use tool to update tile and color data of unmodified raws by comparing them to modified raws.
Custom Workshop Workshop Allows you to quickly design custom workshops building patterns.
Creation Forge A standard cheat building that allows quick testing of new worlds.
vbase Extensive set of body parts and creature variations intended as a modder's resource
DF Raw Patcher  The utility goes through the DF raws and modifies the values that were changed in your Mod raws, and adds new entries where none previously existed.
Tile Genie Allows you to take multiple tile sets and combine them in to one set by picking and choosing the tiles.
Temperature Conversion Utility An html temperature converter.
UristV - Arena mode map editing.
Dwarf Fortress Mod manager Allows the creation and editing of mods and makes merging them together easy. Also helps to export mods into compact patch files, allows splitting and tweaking mods, & much more.
Random Raw Creator (RRC) This tool uses a list of nouns to create new raws for DF. It can create random Toys, Plants, Weapons, Stone, Food, Instruments, Minerals, and Gems.
DF World Tinker An advanced modding tool. It allows code gurus to add custom workshops and reactions to an established fort. Also, it can swap materials around and find raw data for Titans.
Tileset Resizer Tileset Resizer is a collection of Octave Functions to resize Dwarf Fortress tilesets with minimum loss of quality.
Project: Modder's Resource FAQ, Links, and a offline Wiki in html.
Dwarf Heightmap HTML5 This looks like perfect world in HTML 5.
Syntax Highlighting for DF raws a simple package for Sublime Text that syntax highlights the DF raws.
LangCreate, a DF utility for creating pseudo-realistic languages.
RandCreatures, a DF utility that creates random creatures, civs, and megabeasts.
DF entity editor Helps mixing mods by checking entity strings for permitted reactions, and adding missing lines.
Notepad++ Highlighting New version of it to work with the newer raw files.
Rubble Rubble, An all-in-one modding utility and mod loader, comes with a large collection of mini-mods, ready to install and use.
PyDwarf In the vein of ModBase and Rubble but it aims to be friendlier and more comprehensive. Essentially its purpose is to provide capable querying and modification of raws to modders, and easy management and use of modders' scripts by players.
Raw Explorer Helps with modding raw files.
DFlangOpt?
Quiet-Suns tools streamline the creation, resizing, merging, maintenance, and update of graphic sets.
DF duplisearch Utility/script for detecting duplicated raws.
Entity Relationship Visualizer and Tweaker entity ethics and relationship tweaker utility that makes it easier to manage which civs tend to ally or start wars with each other.

Issues: These mods have some issue that prevents them from being used.   Authors: message me when you fix them.
XXTatteredXX XXTatteredXX have unical trees,weapons and clothes, rock (based on minecraft), animal corpses and vermins, grass tiles (Biomes have varying types of grass). [bad archive]

-> v0.34.11 and under <-
-> v0.28.181.40d and under <-

If you would like your mod posted here or someone Else's mod posted here reply to this topic or send me a message on the forum.
If any of these mods were removed and taken down so they are no longer available PLEASE inform me of that as well.

Guidelines for Additions:
#1 Pretty much any mod or utility Dwarf Fortress related is welcome.
#2 The mods link should link to a Bay 12 forum post, and that link should be included in the request to add.
#3 The first post in the thread should be clear and explain what the mod does.
#4 The first post in the thread should have the mod or a link to the mod in it.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 10:14:25 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Community Mod and utilities.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:18:19 pm »

Although I don't use it myself, the mod base might be worth mentioning here.

It's a utility that makes it easier to add multiple simultaneous mods to your game, as long as they've been made compatible with it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:21:07 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:37:51 pm »

Although I don't use it myself, the mod base might be worth mentioning here.

It's a utility that makes it easier to add multiple simultaneous mods to your game, as long as they've been made compatible with it.

TY, Added =)

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:25:57 am »

Added a couple more mods.  Hope you all find them enjoyable.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Community Mods and utilities.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »

i suggest that this be stickied, like the Legendary stories thread.

I have to be honest, I was surprised to see the LEGO mod on that list.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:38:41 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:53:02 pm »

I am trying to get all the popular and good mods in one place.  Seemed to fit at least popular =)

Speaking of, to you have a very short description of your mod since I do not have one? (about 60 characters)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:21:40 pm »

I also have two utilities that are quite useful for modding:

World Gen log parser v1.3: Perl utility script to help make sense of all of your civs, sites, and populations. Very handy for watching how your civ changes effect world gen.
Executable version of the log parser. Janus made this for people who don't want to much with Perl.
DF Word Generator v1 Perl script to build new language files. Obviously quite useful for anyone who wants custom languages for new civs. You will need to be able to run perl to use this, since you change the actual script for each civ.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:25:59 pm »

I also have two utilities that are quite useful for modding:

World Gen log parser v1.3: Perl utility script to help make sense of all of your civs, sites, and populations. Very handy for watching how your civ changes effect world gen.
Executable version of the log parser. Janus made this for people who don't want to much with Perl.
DF Word Generator v1 Perl script to build new language files. Obviously quite useful for anyone who wants custom languages for new civs. You will need to be able to run perl to use this, since you change the actual script for each civ.

Thank you, I will add them to the list.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:22:18 pm »

I am trying to get all the popular and good mods in one place.  Seemed to fit at least popular =)

Speaking of, to you have a very short description of your mod since I do not have one? (about 60 characters)

Description:  A mod adding in materials, creatures, and civilizations themed around LEGOs and around stories based on LEGO creations.

I also suggest a new category; Zany mods
Mods that go under that would be mods such as the Ridiculously Overpowered Sorcerer Mod, the Sophisticated Gentledwarves mod, and the They Might be Giants mod.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:49:36 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 08:59:10 am »

Thank you =)

And, I had looked at most of them but they were not included because their install methods were not well enumerated in the first post.

If they clean it up to where I believe a player with little skill could get the mod working I would add them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 01:22:25 pm »

Merry Xmas and Stick It!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 02:08:02 pm »

I dare say the Modbase is not a modder's tool. It surely is a tool to aid modding, but on the "user" side more than on the "modder" side. It's rather unstable for some people, however.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 02:28:33 pm »

I dare say the Modbase is not a modder's tool. It surely is a tool to aid modding, but on the "user" side more than on the "modder" side. It's rather unstable for some people, however.

I agree, I will move it to the utilities area.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 03:21:07 pm »

BUMP IT BUMPY BUMP.
If we can't have it stickied I will bump it every day.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 04:20:19 pm »

Hehehe I already sent toady a message about sticking this, Hopefully you will not have to bump it to eternity.

I also sent him a dwarf fortress installer.  I hope it works decently as I really only have one computer I can test it on.   While I am sure everyone in the forum can make the program work from a zip file, I was thinking of the poor noobies.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=759 if you want to try it out.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69