Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 361978 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #705 on: January 09, 2009, 03:44:45 pm »

From the looks of that embark screen, it looks like it's drawing the background colors fine, but failing on the textures. At a guess, either because the texture catalog is too large, or because the drivers are lying to DF.

I'm going to have to chalk this one down to "bad drivers", I'm afraid. Hacks that speed up directx games somewhat probably work by removing sanity checks, and DF stresses parts of the opengl driver that normally don't see much use. Not to mention, *OpenGL*. Your hacked drivers were quite likely only tested with popular directx games.

Nice of you to tell us, though. :P
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 09, 2009, 04:26:48 pm »

Well, I wish it was that easy to blame my problems on the drivers, but they don't give me any problems with any other games, nor do they give me problems with the vanilla DF. NeverWinter Nights is an OpenGL game, most Indie games I play are OpenGL, and they all run glitch free.

But your mention of OpenGL did get me thinking. I disabled a forced compression I have to use to get NWN to display right and that cleared up the d8 issues!

So:
[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2]
[FRAME_BUFFER:NO]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:NO]
[FPS_CAP:800]
[G_FPS_CAP:50]
Runs at 760 - 780 in the menus, averages 450 with the dwarves performing orders and whatnot, drops to 250 or so in intense moments. Adventure mode stays at 800 when not moving, averages around 300 when moving, but hiccups a lot more often than plain d; I guess that could be the region? Traveling in adventure mode (T) moves and loads much faster than the last build I played.

So, hooray! Something you've changed doesn't like having S3 texture compression forced on, apparently. Which doesn't really make much sense to me, though you also mentioned that DF is treating the ASCII text as a texture. Oh, well.

Edit: Yeah, I really don't get why that doesn't affect normal DF 'cause I've always had that switch enabled, even before I started using the modified drivers. Hmm...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:30:02 pm by Blank »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 09, 2009, 04:36:52 pm »

finally made time to install this on a real computer.

small cosmetic bug:
In menus, the initial selection continues flickering after selecting another option, but reverts to normal behaviour if selected and unselected again.

edit:
ew. everything flickers now and then. Probably just need to tweak the refreshrate etc a bit.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:12:06 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 09, 2009, 05:26:20 pm »

Not the refresh-rate, the partial printing. That's a classic "partial printing not quite working" effect; you should experiment with increasing the redraw number or (exlusive or) using framebuffer/single-buffer.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 09, 2009, 05:31:06 pm »

blank: Yes, that could do it.

The purpose of texture compression is to reduce the bitsize of each pixel so you can use more pixels, but DF wouldn't use more pixels; this would result in image degradation, but not a failure, so long as the texture sizes are divisible by 4.

This was the case for most tilesets in 40d. It is typically not the case for the texture catalog produced by 40dN.

(This is only a surmise by me; there may be logic to handle texture sizes that aren't divisible by 4, but I don't know how it'd work, and at any rate they definitely have to be at least 4x4, so it seems unlikely.)

EDIT: Further, although OpenGL will automatically convert uncompressed images to S3TC-compressed ones at upload, it may alter the image dimensions and format while doing so, expecting the application to read them back out afterwards. We don't do that; this will throw off the texture coordinate calculations if they're altered.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:35:20 pm by Baughn »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 09, 2009, 05:34:34 pm »

This is an minor suggestion.

I know the old directx versions and some games had some compabilty check tools in which they did show you the results under an certain config and you could say works, works not etc. mostly at the first start of the game.

Could you make such an little programm for the unskilled and DAU?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 09, 2009, 05:36:58 pm »

Basically, no. If I could, I would've put the code inside DF and had it autoconfigure.

It should already do that, actually; all the problems here are basically caused by a pandemic of broken drivers. The default configuration is very much non-optimal as a result, but should at least work.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #712 on: January 09, 2009, 05:52:28 pm »

Windows: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d9_win.zip
Linux: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d9_linux.tar.bz2
Mac OSX: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d9_osx.tar.bz2

Although there are bound to be various issues, this is the first three platform release for DF.  Thanks again to the people that have been working on this and reporting errors and donating OSs and stuff!

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the Mac one has to be played by opening up a terminal and then typing "sh df".  We have not yet divined the nature of the mac app bundle, unless I missed an email or something wherein the nature was divined.  I'm also not sure if the sound works on the Mac, as I don't have any speakers for the mini.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 09, 2009, 06:01:36 pm »

If only to speed production Ill break my "No playing Dwarf Fortress until a bit after next release" vow. (which is simply to make the changes seem more impactful)

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 09, 2009, 07:26:24 pm »

Sound works fine on macos. and yes you have to navigate to the df folder and do sh df

VVV sorry ignore what i said, the app was called dwarfort.exe and i have boxer installed which automatically tried to open it. its not running through dosbox or anything. VVV
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:35:07 pm by nagual678 »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 09, 2009, 07:30:16 pm »

Dosbox? Excuse me?  ???

EDIT: Er, no, just a standard unix terminal window. It's what OS X is running on you know...

The app bundle isn't there yet, since neither I nor Toady know how to make one. Fixes welcome; grab the BC source and fix the build script to make one. ^_^
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:31:53 pm by Baughn »

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:59 pm »

Okay, I'm having weird problems.

When I go up a few z-levels, it keeps going up and up and up. Like before, only worse. Because I can't go down. Everytime I hit the shift key, it acts as if I hit shift+comma. So when I try to go down, it keeps going up.

Also, I can't abandon a fort, and when I try to change my key bindings, it turns the key I change to 5 every time I hit k.

QuinRiva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 09, 2009, 11:29:01 pm »

Hm. Well, since you're a developer:

Get the newest git version of BC, and compile that in debug mode. It should print *something* helpful; at least, there's a lot more debugging and logging code then.
I'll try giving it a shot this afternoon, but I'm a Cybernetic engineer not a software developer so I'm not sure if my programming knowledge will be sufficient.

EDIT: If possible, identify exactly what code is going wrong / where it gets stuck. I can't do that from here; most likely the problem is caused by some interaction between SDL and nLite, seeing as none of the commercial games you mentioned use SDL. (Then again, none of them use opengl either..)

I don't think that my problems are related specifically to SDL.  I checked for games that use SDL and FreeCiv, Spore and Neverwinter Nights all run fine on my computer. I used nLite to simply remove unnecessary crap from my system (i.e. I don't have an analogue modem so I removed the modem/fax support, etc.) and cut down the number of active processes.

Edit:  I just started playing Dominions 3 again (another SDL) game, and it seems to crash frequently (as in I pressing the end turn button or anywhere on the map will cause the game to crash).  It appears that SDL may have some other dependencies that I either have switched off or haven't installed.  This issue is not specific to my computer as the problem occurs on my main computer and my laptop.  However both computers run a customised version of Windows XP (but customised differently as obviously my Tablet has different requirements to my desktop).  Any ideas.

Just so you know you can use apt-get to get getlibs and then use getlibs to install libSDL_image-1.2.so

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install getlibs
sudo getlibs -l libSDL_image-1.2.so.0

This basically just does the same thing though.

I had issues using apt-get with the 64bit version of linux.  On my 32bit system it worked fine, but the same procedure on the 64bit system retrieved only the 64bit libs.  As it turns out it is necessary to have the 32bit libs for DF.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:28:00 am by QuinRiva »

QuinRiva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 09, 2009, 11:39:02 pm »

Baughn you're going to need to give me the command for getting a copy of the BC source code using Git.  I should be able to compile it once I get a copy but I've never used git before and I have no idea what to do with it.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 10, 2009, 01:15:21 am »

Code: [Select]
git clone git://brage.info/bc.git bc
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 147