Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your Sentimental Habits.  (Read 4425 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Your Sentimental Habits.
« on: December 22, 2008, 02:07:43 am »

We all know about the brutal pragmatisms of Dwarf Fortress; including, but not limited to, kitten-based economies, killing pet owners on sight, torture, starvation, burning, drowning, or burying men alive. But what about those times when we loosen up just a bit, and take pity on the poor fellas?

My guilty habits:

-My embark dwarves are always assigned to jobs I think they'll like.
-High quality buckets for the wounded.
-Making a note to get more of an ingredient my dwarves like to eat.
-Refitting the fort with masterwork beds if/when I get a legendary carpenter.
-Never leave a man behind.

Post yours.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Sentimental Habits.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:12:08 am »

Any exotic animal or Vermin I get... I absolutely HAVE To make sure has an owner!!! It drives me nuts when my Chimp doesn't get adopted.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:17:22 am »

I save scum whenever one of my starting 7 legendary miners dies chasing down a goblin. I try to control vermin that one of my dwarves hates and keep them out of sight.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:23:51 am »

After a battle and the mess has been cleaned up, if there were any losses in the military I activate all active personnel again and station them briefly outside the tombs of the fallen for a final salute to their comrades-in-arms.

I haven't failed to do this since the first time I lost to HFS and another time when a reclaim party ended in disaster but one dwarf survived out of 40 and walled herself in (there was too much work to be done for her survival and named skeletal trolls, whales, and great white sharks roamed the countryside)

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 02:25:31 am »

last fort i for a little while i tried to get every dwarf with some combat skills and with the tag "has recently taken joy in slaughter" against the constant stream of goblins, chasm and cave river creatures i was catching. i liked the idea of my highly skilled and popular dwarves having bragging rights, and also being able to defend against ambushes. this does have a dark side though, as i must confess i experience joy at seeing migrant fishery workers eaten by giant olms.

i have also never deliberately killed a noble, and try very hard to never sacrifice dwarves.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 02:30:20 am »

I am very fond of my military and
* go to great lengths to assure their training barracks are at least wood-plated (I know how it feels to fall on linoleum floor during training, I don't even want to imagine how falling and slamming your head into rough stone must feel)
* they have decent, smoothed barrack rooms with everyone having a bed assigned to him/herself, one room equals one squad (if possible)
* a dwarf committing a heroic battlefield act (seen by me, or told by kill-list) gets promoted, the promotion is shown in his/her Profession (e.g. Sergeant Marksdwarf) and possibly gets better facilities and better burial.

The upper class of the civilian folk (7 starters, legendaries, elected titleholders) get well-furnished private rooms and are relieved of cleaning, hauling work.
I also try to be nice to the lower class, pretty much no-one starves or sleeps on the floor in my fortresses, and everyone has the chance to become legendary and break out.

Kael, I like your idea of a final salute, I always felt just slamming those soldiers in tombs isn't enough. I'll build a catafalque room to remember the dead with a constant honor guard. :)
fox has become enraged!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 02:36:37 am »

Another one if I may return;

I leave burial off for everyone, and turn it on per dwarf to let the fallens' friends/spouses lay their kin to rest.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:34:55 am »

Everyone gets a minimum of 3x3 tomb in the catacombs. Anything less than a masterwork obsidian coffin is out of the question. If the deceased had a spouse, I reserve the closest tomb to her

Soap makers and other fodder while expendable always receive the title of Hero when they fall in battle. I never send them into the fray without proper equipment

I was thinking about setting the hospital as a meeting zone so injured dwarves would get company

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 09:50:10 am »

* one of the female starting dwarfs is "me" getting mayor and bookkeeper and miner and engraver and woodcutter and hunter and ... ... ... and superdwarfenly awesome multiple legandary :> if she dies, i abbdon the fortress
if some other dwarfs get the mayor title, he dies in an accident like drawbridge crushing or falling some z levels

* every fortress needs a sewer system (floorgrates on the hallways and stuff), despite it looks good, its dwarfenly architecture and prevents fortress flooding by accident

* no magma useage without the magmaduct(tm), even if i just pump it on surface, and let it fall below again, magmaducts are dwarfenly!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

* wild strawberry farms, just because i like them

* no trap hallways, only less markman or any other way of an easy defence: a real dwarf dont run from the danger, he force it away with the axe!

* only use one color stone (light or dark gray normaly), other will get digged out and replaced with a wall, except floors and rooms with engraving (royals)

* if a dwarf dies, he dies, no save scums

* only male cats are allowed outside the cages to hunt vermin, its not chauvinism, its breeding control

* i am to lazy for micromanaging some masterfully crafted items, so i just use it as the worshops spit them out. most legendary smiths get hammered anyway

* the fortress entrance cant be sealed of and leads in a 3-7 wide hallway into the heart of the fortress with the trade depot, it guarded with some chained animals. i prefer grizzlys if i can get them

* the dining room get waterfall, springwell and wells. lots of dwarfen mechanic, and a use for the sewer system

* a beautiful city is of higher priority than a efficent one, so i never build something just because its efficent like irregular fractal bedrooms, the living quarters are jut plain 2x2-4x4 rooms one next to another

* every dwarf get a chest and a bed, even military

example of a fortress of mine: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4162-axeauraofangels
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 12:45:30 pm »

-My first seven coffins go to my original seven.  Period.  They may have the lowest monetary value of the lot, but they are the first, which means more to me than any amount of masterful workmanship.

-The military gets its own private cemetary that's engraved, decorated with high-value statues, and filled with nothing but coffins made entirely from iron.  Every soldier, from the mightiest champion down to the lowliest recruit, gets a personal coffin in this "Dwarfhalla":  no matter how many enemies they killed, they are all equal in having given their lives for the fortress.

-As long as my soldiers' remains still exist, I will always recover them.  It may take years of preparation, megaproject-scale efforts, and the deaths of a dozen workers, but by Armok, those remains will have a proper burial.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 12:58:06 pm »

+I always zoom to the dwarf when it says "Urist mcskilled is more experienced". I have to see how my dwarves are progressing.

+My dwarves get a great diet, with plants, meats, syrups and flours cooked together by skilled cooks. No alcohol cooking either.

+No pure hauler dwarves. Every dwarf gets a skill of some sort, once they become legendary at that they get another.

BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 03:57:52 pm »

I save scum whenever one of my starting 7 legendary miners dies chasing down a goblin.

Bad Neoskel!  ;D

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 04:18:50 pm »

I try to keep my fortress very as simetrical and realistic as possible, with whole workshop sections, personal quarters area, a whole floor for the nobles only, hallways so no dwarf has to go through someone's room or workshop to get something, a kitchen inside the legendary dining room, making it look like a restaurant, and great tombs for dead legendary dwarfs and champions  ;D

I also like to dump the corpses of my enemies in the sword shaped magma pool at the forge floor  :D , i aways have loads of bones stored so its not a problem.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:26:26 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 04:29:56 pm »

But what about those times when we loosen up just a bit, and take pity on the poor fellas?

What is this "pity"? I know not the word!

You sentimental fools! Saps! Lovers of romance and art! You befoul the dwarfworld with your touchy feely emotions! The only proper fortress abandons everything for efficiency!

Your fervent abstract antiquities have no place in this world! Begone!

Eldin

• Bay Watcher
  • BINGO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 04:50:48 pm »

-Everybody gets a tomb. Pets included. They might just be 1*2 dents in corridors, but they are there.

-First dwarf with a non-animal kill gets the title "Inquisitor". Subsequent peasants and lye-makers get to double as "Templar"s and general workforce. These groups act as the Fortress Guard, and get a nicer barracks then the regular military.

-If a dorf dies in any fashion, their coffin will have a note on how. This way I can check on the way most die, and improve that area.

-Dungeon Masters/Philosophers get very nice things. Especially the Philosopher.
Hi!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4