Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Debian AMD64 cannot run DF  (Read 1845 times)

svancouw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vancocomputing.net
Debian AMD64 cannot run DF
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:31:31 pm »

I read in the new version discussion that someone got this to run on Debian AMD64, but I'm not able to. I've gotten all the libraries to be seen (via ldd -v on dwarfort.exe, and all libs are in /emul/ia32-linux/libs)), BUT for glibc. Debian Etch only comes with version 2.3.6, and cannot get 2.4 or higher unless I upgrade to Lenny unstable. I suppose I could compile that version manually, but I  don't want to break something by making a mistake.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I've got it running on my Ubuntu 8.10 box, but my Debian Etch system has quite a bit more CPU power to it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Debian AMD64 cannot run DF
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:03:08 pm »

If you mean one of the 40dX re-releases (where X is a number), you should post about it in this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:51:47 am »

It seems unlikely that DF will ever work on that OS out of the box, but you could try downloading a binary version of glibc (from lenny, say), and unpack the relevant .so file in <df>/libs/, where it'll override the system-wide one.

Probably you'll end up chasing dependencies, but that's life on debian stable. Good luck. :P
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 02:55:14 pm »

I read in the new version discussion that someone got this to run on Debian AMD64...
That was me... and I'm running 64 bit Lenny (test/unstable) with ia32-lib, and the manually extracted SDL-image file placed in the same folder as the Dwarf Fortress binary.  (I was too lazy to sudo and make the links work... but it does work)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."