Other Projects > Other Games

Warhammer Online

(1/2) > >>

Servant Corps:
I have bought a cool strategy guide for Warhammer Online. I never intend to play it, of course, but I like reading the fluff and learning how the MMORPG community works.

I am interested in learning however who is winning in the Warhammer Online right now, and what happens after one side conquers the city? For example, if Chaos destroys the Empire's city and murder its emperor, what happens now? Is there a reset?

I have to ask you, because I don't want to register a seperate account on, erm, whatever that MMORPG's forum is, and I hope that maybe, at least some of you, might know about this game.

Samyotix:
If Chaos or Order captures the enemy city, AFAIK they get access to several raid dungeons (25-man raids?) where bosses drop some of the best items in the game. This state (where players of the losing side cannot access their main town) lasts a few hours apparently.

I got this info from the game manual (I was given a copy) and a MMO magazine ... got the game at home, but a) the technician was delayed so I won't be online at home until mid january, b) I think my PC is too slow to run it anyway.

But then, I played WoW for over two years and bitterly hated PvP ... I think I'm the only warlock on a PVP server with level 70, mid-range equipment from raiding, and a ridiculous total of ~150 lifetime kills including the occasional hordie killed by party members.
Which makes the very much PvP-oriented WAR seem like not quite the ideal game for me.

(Man, now I get all nostalgic. Several lv70 characters (warlock, warrior, hunter, shadow priest), too much time spent going farming with bank twinks (in their 50s); the last time I checked /played and added it all up I'd spent well over 180 days realtime in WoW.
(Two years of: Get up, log in, scan AH while making coffee, 1/2 hour of playing before going to crap job, get home as early as possible, scan AH while grabbing munchies, play until 4 am, repeat, don't rinse.)

One tip as a PS: If you start bank twinks and go like "Hey, I'll do a couple of quests with this little guy here, maybe they're fun to play" .... doublecheck the name. My lv70 hunter has a name like "itemdeposit" (only german) which seems to say basically "Dear hordie, I seem to be a bot and/or idiot, please kill me immediately." If you choose to play twinks with really dumb names, like I do, do it on a PvE server :-)

Soulwynd:
I played warhammer for a month. The PvP in there is extremely fun and very rewarding. Taking over the pvp areas in each of the tiers give everyone bonuses on xp gain, shop prices, etc. I never got to the final stages, but winning tier 4 takes a lot of effort and people, of all levels, since the tiers bellow must be taken as well.

Asehujiko:
So in other words, as soon as 1 side has an advantage, the other is going to be screwed untill the server resets?

Soulwynd, i also remember you being one of the people who defended it in the old thread. What made you stop playing it?

Soulwynd:

--- Quote from: Asehujiko on December 22, 2008, 03:55:16 pm ---So in other words, as soon as 1 side has an advantage, the other is going to be screwed untill the server resets?

Soulwynd, i also remember you being one of the people who defended it in the old thread. What made you stop playing it?

--- End quote ---
The server doesn't reset (except for the special dungeon at the end), the other side actually has to go over and take the keeps and control points back. It doesn't screw anyone, the bonus comes in renown % bonus (xp gained from pvp), discount in shop prices, and a few places to fall back to when you're in a pvp area and get ambushed.

Well, there's a sort of reset as in the control point becomes open, but it doesn't change the war status. That's not the only way to change the war status either, killing the other side's npcs, completing quests and public quests also increase the gauge. So the actual balance comes in keeping the servers with an equal number of players, thus they give xp bonus weekly for the sides that are in need of players, encouraging people to play in those servers. There was also a merger to fix some of those issues, it's not perfect, but it's fun.

Also, there are a few quests that are done in the pvp area and those are usually easier when you have some specific control point on your said. It's not hard to find people that will tag along to take them back, there are rewards for doing so.

You can avoid all that if you take the non-pvp route. The only thing it might influence you with is the lack of the shop discount. Renown is pointless if you don't pvp.

I stopped playing because of my lack of time and more importantly because I reached my credit card limit that month by buying plane tickets with it, so the account didn't renew. I want to buy some local game time card, it's way way cheaper than CC subscriptions (2 months are roughly 20 bucks, opposed to the credit card subscription that's over 30). I haven't uninstalled the game, I'm just waiting for a calm month so I can play again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version