Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Odd LCS design choices  (Read 8143 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Odd LCS design choices
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:46:07 pm »

These are just some things I'd like to ask about, and I'm sure other people have questions about where stuff in LCS came from.  Not "Why isn't this feature in?" but "Why is this feature the way it is?"

What came to my mind is, why are hippies so badass?  Time after time, they're always my go-to guys for building a hit squad.  They'll buy any argument, have great stats, and come with surprising depth and breadth of combat skills.  How much scattergun practice do they get on the Vegan Co-op anyway?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

cinque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd LCS design choices
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:16:44 pm »

If this game is based on the SLA, the original group, other than Donald DeFreeze, were basically alll Berkeley hippies, more or less.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:22:10 pm »

I'd presume that it is because the Hippies are usually where most cannon fooder for most radical left-wing terrorist groups in the 1960's and 1970's comes from, like the Weathermen Underground.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:25:43 pm »

That's what I mean though.  I get that they're cannon fodder, but why would fodder make such good hitmen?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

cinque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:53:24 pm »

That's what I mean though.  I get that they're cannon fodder, but why would fodder make such good hitmen?
Because they've dropped out of society and therefore, have plenty of time to read guerrilla training manuals and practice their shooting and tactics.  I think that would be the theory, anyway

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:13:25 am »

Because hippies have low wisdom.  Their stat average has to reach a certain number and wisdom can't go up, so other stats do.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 12:51:33 am »

Apparently, whenever somebody switched the radio from FM to AM, the hippies shot it.  Whenever somebody visited the commune wearing a suit, they shot at him/her.  Etc.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 02:34:54 pm »

Because hippies have low wisdom.  Their stat average has to reach a certain number and wisdom can't go up, so other stats do.

From a game mechanics POV, this is exactly what happens.  Hippie WIS is fixed at 1 (though it may be 2 or 3 if they're particularly old), so their random stats are distributed among the remaining attributes instead.

Nearly all characters get the same number of attribute points.  The few exceptions include Athletes, Dancers, a few Arch-Conservatives (notably CEOs), Mutants, and I think Agents.  Mutants are terrible, while the others basically get a bonus to their primary attributes.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:13:23 pm »

I think the arch conservatives get the same number of points, they just now get the massive bonuses from having conservative juice. They used to be insane statwise, making an army of seduced agents nearly invincible with 25+ stats at 100 juice, but now they have normalized stats and boosts from juice.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 01:22:12 am »

Mutants are terrible, while the others basically get a bonus to their primary attributes.

Mutants need to be more badass, though the current system doesn't allow for much. I was thinking special statuses to show you what their mutations were (so when you checked their status you'd see "three arms" and "pincers instead of mouth" and "large insect eyes", each with a different stat bonuses.
For example, the insect eyes could give a small accuracy bonus and an increase in the chance that the liberal's eyes would be damaged when hit in the head. Two heads would give the liberal an intelligence boost and a small chance that the liberal would attempt to perform two actions at once because the heads couldn't decide, performing each at 30% effectiveness or something, and it would also increase the chance of the liberal getting hit in the head. With the cool mutations could come special unarmed attacks (Mutant strangles Conservative with his tentacle arm).They would all drastically decrease charisma, so mutants would be awful ninjas/recruiters.

Basically, I see lots of untapped potential with mutants. They're supposed to be satirical and funny like the rest of the game, but they're just like real mutants: depressingly frail and useless.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 03:53:11 am »

Don't forget an increase to the seduction cap with the tentacle mutation.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 09:17:41 am »

Don't forget an increase to the seduction cap with the tentacle mutation.

NO U

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 09:43:49 pm »

Basically, I see lots of untapped potential with mutants. They're supposed to be satirical and funny like the rest of the game, but they're just like real mutants: depressingly frail and useless.

If mutants were great beings, then it would imply that pollution is actually good for you. No way I want to promote C+ ideas.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 12:39:31 am »

If mutants were great beings, then it would imply that pollution is actually good for you. No way I want to promote C+ ideas.

Guns are definitely good for you.  To have anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 12:56:21 am »

People with guns are more likely to die a violent death.  The LCS accepts this sacrifice for the good of society as a whole.  So while it's a tragedy that anyone has a gun, the LCS takes the pain upon themselves to free others.

Likewise, pollution.  The LCS doesn't want anyone exposed to the evils of pollution.  Some people already have been exposed however, so it's best to use their tragic ailments for the better good.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7