Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: That may have been the stupidest dragon in the world.  (Read 4393 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
That may have been the stupidest dragon in the world.
« on: December 24, 2008, 12:45:57 am »

A glorious red dragon appears. It has made a name for itself, and has no wounds. I send the dwarves all inside, expecting perhaps to catch it within my weapon traps. Sadly, this is in vain.

Everyone gets inside safely, and the dragon makes a beeline for my chained dogs. So far, pretty predictable. What happens next, however, defies beleif. After incinerating the dogs, the first thing the dragon does is destroy the screw pump I had used to fill my moat with magma.

That I might have expected, even. Stupid, but it makes sense with a building destroyer.

What happens next, however, does not make sense. After destroying the pump, the dragon enthusiastically charges right into the magma... deliberately sprinting into it until he's swimming in 7/7 magma, which then kills him. Now I don't even get to collect his bones or his body, or attempt to fight him  :-[

Mister dragon, you are a retard, and I hate you.

(update with screenshot of the results)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:54:19 am by MuonDecay »

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That may have been the stupidest dragon in the world.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 01:09:58 am »

This is from the wiki on dragons:

"Dragons are apparently immune to dragonfire, but not immune to any other kind of fire. Unfortunately, the dragon AI (like the dwarf AI) seems to believe that it is in fact immune to all fire, and so they will gleefully go swimming in lava-- and hence get burned to a crisp. Their dragonfire can also ignite many objects on the ground, and if the dragon then walks over these objects, they will sometimes ignite themselves in the process. These factors are all likely bugs, and are liable to be fixed at some time in the future."

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 07:34:12 am »

What happens next, however, does not make sense. After destroying the pump, the dragon enthusiastically charges right into the magma... deliberately sprinting into it until he's swimming in 7/7 magma, which then kills him.

I lol'ed!  It seems like that you've found a retarded dragon.  ;D

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:10:24 pm »

snip wutdragon

That almost looks like Awkward Zombie.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 07:57:46 pm »

I couldn't make sense of that screenshot, to me a red 'D' means a dead dragon, a green splotchy thing is just nonsense. :)

I just had to chime in with that. I suspect Toady One will do another run-through of hazard avoidance, relatively soon since wounds are being reworked from the ground up now.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 03:15:59 am »

I don't think the dragon burned to death, despite that wiki quote. i think it drowned...
I had something similar in my fort, dragon destroyed a pump holding back a magma pool. well, i think it got lava on it.

the reason it went up the tube is because that was a valid way for it into your fort, it'd probably pop up inside your forges. would have been rather epic, if it didn't drown
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 05:23:26 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 03:48:18 am »

omg....i just imagined that in 3-D. god i wish i will be alive if dwar ffortress does become 3D.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 04:11:55 am »

What happens next, however, does not make sense. After destroying the pump, the dragon enthusiastically charges right into the magma... deliberately sprinting into it until he's swimming in 7/7 magma, which then kills him.

Never post that picture. Ever again.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 10:14:04 pm »

I couldn't make sense of that screenshot, to me a red 'D' means a dead dragon, a green splotchy thing is just nonsense. :)

Those are green glass blocks and a green glass corkscrew. The dragon corpse burned to nothingness and there was nothing left.

Ideally I'd have gotten a picture of him alive, but I was a bit too "OMG!" at getting a visit from an unwounded dragon.

the reason it went up the tube is because that was a valid way for it into your fort, it'd probably pop up inside your forges. would have been rather epic, if it didn't drown

I don't think there was a way into the fort from there. There are doors but they just lead to shafts I had dug for pumps but abandoned and sealed up when I realized I couldn't power them over there. They all ended in stairless dropoffs into hallways sealed with constructed walls. The magma pipe is a couple z-levels below, as are the forges, I had to pump the magma up to the moat.

Never post that picture. Ever again.
???

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 12:54:12 am »

... seriously?

Another dragon just showed up. TWO, at one fort! A couple years apart!

I think I'll record a video this time!

(by the way my images are png's now so they're all less than 200kb)
Spoiler: Proof (click to show/hide)

Edit: Woohoo, caught her! She went right for the cages.
Spoiler: Moar proof! (click to show/hide)

I think I'll put her and a hunter into a labyrinth and let her kill him.

Cog McHunter: Where is she?
Dragon: roar!
Cog McHunter: Clever girl...
*fiery death*
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:00:46 am by MuonDecay »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 03:06:27 pm »

If she hasn't killed anyone, tame her.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 03:09:53 pm »

... seriously?

Another dragon just showed up. TWO, at one fort! A couple years apart!

I think I'll record a video this time!

Wow, you are very lucky! Yeah record a video and upload it to dfma.  8)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 05:08:47 pm »

She didn't kill anything while on the map, and I do have a Dungeon Master...

Sadly that also means that the video I recorded is utterly boring. She just waltzed directly into a cage trap. Oh well! Tamed dragon time. :D

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 09:59:18 pm »

... this must be some sort of joke.

Now a titan shows up!

I have apparently built a vacation resort for megabeasts.

... and now a second titan.

I now have a caged collection of two titans, a tame dragon, and a tame giant eagle. Huh, quite a zoo.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 05:16:37 am by MuonDecay »

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 07:18:53 am »

A glorious red dragon appears. It has made a name for itself, and has no wounds. I send the dwarves all inside, expecting perhaps to catch it within my weapon traps. Sadly, this is in vain.

Everyone gets inside safely, and the dragon makes a beeline for my chained dogs. So far, pretty predictable. What happens next, however, defies beleif. After incinerating the dogs, the first thing the dragon does is destroy the screw pump I had used to fill my moat with magma.

That I might have expected, even. Stupid, but it makes sense with a building destroyer.

What happens next, however, does not make sense. After destroying the pump, the dragon enthusiastically charges right into the magma... deliberately sprinting into it until he's swimming in 7/7 magma, which then kills him. Now I don't even get to collect his bones or his body, or attempt to fight him  :-[

Mister dragon, you are a retard, and I hate you.

(update with screenshot of the results)

I would suggest modding the raws to make dragons totally immune to all kinds of fire. In fact, make them immune to heat up to the point that HFS metal boils.
Pages: [1] 2