Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fountains  (Read 2430 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fountains
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 07:52:53 pm »

Actually that will spurt up to the f and no higher.  You need one more z on your cistern before it would even attempt looking at the z above the fountain.  I also don't think that the water will move up before it moves out.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

Found the interview with all the lovely pics on water pressure.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3549/interview_the_making_of_dwarf_.php?page=9

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 09:51:57 am »

Because it wouldn't be fun.  It's been addressed several times in dedicated threads and so far no one has mentioned why it would be fun or how to make it fun.  To that I ask, are there any games that already deal with waste in a fun manner?

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2008/04/super_energy_apocalypse_review.php

Short, but a good 2 hours worth of neat
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:56:04 am by Granite26 »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 10:02:05 am »

Sounds like the base level of what's needed is a statue that will generate mist if it's used to cap water that's under pressure. 

The art appreciation is already in.  The mist appreciation is already in.  It seems like the only thing missing is the ability to generate mist without a full on waterfall roaring through the center of the room (and consequently sucking away your dwarves).

Although I would like to see a more fully featured plumbing system.  Ok, wiring system, since axels, plumbing, electrical cable (sic), pully wires, etc all basically do the same thing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 11:08:08 am »

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2008/04/super_energy_apocalypse_review.php

Short, but a good 2 hours worth of neat

Ah, yes, I have played that.  However it doesn't cause all that many problems (it is possible to play without cleaning up, however the difficulty of the levels is already very close to requiring that your build be perfect).

However, DF doesn't have the capability to deal with waste in such a manner.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »

People lets start simple.  A 3x3 building seems to be a consensus, and I am fine with that.  Needing a statue also seems to be a consensus and that is good.

This meens we have a new building that has the center square can be over open ground.  It requires a corkscrew, a block, a pipe section, a mechanism, and a statue to build.  When there is accessible water below the center sqaure it creates mist.

Let's leave the whole drainage problem behind.  That is the current situation that is leading to say a fountain is really necessary.  Stick the thoughts of fountains of blood, ale, wine, and magma in unpleasant place about your person until real flows are established for such fluids.

Please let us all agree that a very basic fountain is needed as start to something greater.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: 1 2 [3]