Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Glory for the Queen! (New sign ups!)  (Read 14495 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
(Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Glory for the Queen! (New sign ups!)
« on: December 27, 2008, 07:59:26 pm »

General Rules and Hints

This succession game uses my Civilization Forge Mod. The link is in my sig, so you can read about it there. I'll but putting up my entire folder online, though, so you don't have to worry about downloading it. (This is partly because I added in a few minor things)

Rules: Pretty much a standard succession game. Each turn goes from the 1st day of spring (Granite) to the 1st of Granite the following year.

Each player gets a week to start their turn before I move on to the next person. If your turn is skipped, I'll bump you to the back of the line.

The purpose of this fort is to eventually breach the infernal pits, kill the demonspawn within, and mine out all the precious adamantite for the king. So, please don't mine out any of the adamantine before we're ready to deal with the consequences. Also, we should try to keep as many of our soldiers alive as possible. To that end, traps to deal with ambushes are fine. However Chaos Dwarves have trap avoid, so don't rely too much on them. Capturing enemies for a training area is just fine.

Try to write out your reports in character, if you can. If not, at least be somewhat detailed. Pictures are good, but not strictly required.

New stuff added: Just some weapons. Raven's Beaks are two-handed war hammers. Mattocks are two-handed picks. In both cases you'll need to set the dwarf's military preferences to use two hands. Falcions and Falcatas are swords, but they have the same stats as axes, so they do more damage but don't have the crit bonus.

Civilization Forge Hints:
    Metal changes: Bronze - now takes 1 tin and 4 copper. It it also now 80% strength for weapons and 100% for armor
                         Iron - Is now 100% strength for weapons and 80% for armor (Bronze is actually stronger then iron)
                         Brass - now takes 1 zinc and 4 copper

New Metals: Mithril - Comes from Truesilver. 200% armor/weapon, is also quite light.
                     Levisium - Comes from Levitite. 70% armor/weapon but almost weightless. Good for alloys. 

Useful New recipes: Tempered crystal: 1 raw crystal glass, tempered at the smelter. 75% armor & weapon strength
                                Blood Crystal: 1 Tempered Crystal bar, combined with Cinnabar at the forge: 125% weapon, 100% armor
                                Night Crystal: 1 Tempered Crystal bar, combined with Cobaltite at the forge: 100% weapon, 125% armor
                                Void Crystal: 1 Tempered Crystal bar, combined with Cinnabar and 1 Cobaltite at the forge: 150% armor/weapon
                                Bright Silver: 1 Mithril bar, 3 silver bars: 110% armor/weapon
                                Glacium: 1 Iron bar, 1 cut Frost crystal: 130% armor/weapon
                                Tempestium: 1 iron bar, 1 cut Storm crystal: 300% strength for bolts
                                Orihalcum: 1  bar gold, 1 bar platinum, 1 bar Mithril: 175% armor/weapon. Heavy.

Enemies: Bugbears - use copper weapons. Pretty easy to defeat.
                 Sand Raiders - use Iron weapons & bronze armor: About as hard as goblins
                 Chaos Dwarves - Have Trap Avoid, use steel. They're  basically as good as our dwarves
                 Violet Xelics - Can use up to 3 shields, and use steel. Tough, but can be taken out by traps.

Animals: Most animals are war trainable. However, we're in on a freezing map, so we can't really get animals from traders. Trapping wild animals is pretty much our only hope for getting much in that department. Fire beetles can breath fire, so if there's a chance to capture and tame them do it.
                Guardians are golems. They're pretty tough and make good watchguards. We can get them from the dwarves, and being stone they should be immune to the cold.

NEW LIST SIGN UPS!!!

Turn order:
Mephansteras (finished year 1)
userpay (finished year 2)
Christes (finished year 3)
Bluerobin427 (finished year 4)
Solarn (next)
Aldaris (in line)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 03:54:03 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthguruntir - Dig deep for the King!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 07:59:45 pm »

Background

I read over the orders from the Queen. We were to travel far south to the frozen wastelands. There, near a cursed wasteland, would be our new home. Stories from Frost Giant merchants spoke of an ancient evil sealed beneath the icy rocks, beside a pit of fire. And so our scouts had gone, scouring the lands. And, after many, many years, they found it. Traces of adamant in the rocks and nearby a warm layer of obsidian.

And so we are being sent out to carve out a new fortress. One which shall forge might arms and armor for our soldiers. It will take time, yes. And we will need to face untold horrors in the depths. But we are dwarves, and we shall emerge victorious. It is the only way.

I've attached the scouts maps to this document. Look it over. You've all been hand-picked to join me on this expedition. Some of you will come with me now, others will arrive as you've gotten your work crews together. By the time you arrive we should have a comfortable home built, and an idea of what resources we have available.

As usual, we'll be rotating guidance of the fortress. It is a good tradition, and one that ensures that many ideas are heard.

I'll see you all at Uthguruntir, the Demon's Anvil.

(Attached are a few maps from the scouts)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:33:04 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Dig deep for the King!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:00:02 pm »

The First Year

Master Silvercoin's log:

We've arrived! True to his word, Oakenbeard has led us to the site of our new home. It's quite cold here, and I doubt it'll get much warmer. But drove past the obsidian over the magma pipe, so we know where it is. And we spotted Galena and some Frost Crystals near the surface, so it looks promising.

For now, though, I'm focusing our efforts on carving out a decent living and workspace.

Initial stocks:
  We have a good supply of food and booze, some logs, and Bronzebeard's smithing supplies. He brought an anvil, coal, cassiterite, sphalerite, copper, and a chunk of platinum. He also brought some cinnabar and cobaltite. He says all of this will give us the materials to make some trade goods and some basic equipement. We also have Oakenbeards dog and Rainsong's beloved cave crab. Sadly, both are male so we can't rely on them for any breeding. We do have a fine pair of Muskox, though, and I think they'll provide a nice supply of food and leather in the future.

Mid-summer:
  The fortress is progressing well. The farms are up and operational, the main workshop and stockpiles are ready, and we've started working on the dining and living areas. A small work party arrived today. Just 5 dwarves, but their extra hands will help quite a bit. Good to see that the Queen is willing to put bodies behind her words.

Early autumn: The main gate is finished and we've got the watchtower started. Just the first level is complete, but eventually it'll grow to a beacon of the land. We got another set of workers today. I've put two of them to wrestling and another to training with a crossbow. The rest are busy cutting wood, digging out chambers, and making furniture. I've also laid out plans for a wall to surround the fortress.

I've forbidden our new soldiers from using weapons until we have a water source, in case of injuries. Fortunatly, Redstone and Slate have reported feeling the tell-tale tremors of a waterfull in the rocks. We just need to find it.

Mid-autumn:
  A trade caravan arrived today. Bronzebeard had made a nice stack of Brass crafts to trade, as well as a nice Platinum Idol. We also had a good stockpile of rock crafts that I made in my spare time. In exchange we got some more metal bars, some barrels of booze, a few gems, and some food. The traders had brought some animals, but they didn't survive the harsh cold. I decided to buy the cages anyway, since they'll come in handy and we can butcher the deal animals for food and leather.

Late autumn:
Damn, a kobold was spotted today. Unfortunately he managed to get away before any of the soldiers could catch him. This worries me, as it means that our presence here will soon be common knowledge. We'll have to beef up our defenses sooner then I thought.

Early winter: We broached the magma chamber today and sounded out it's shape. Nice and large. Slate, Bronzebeard, and I sat down and mapped out a design for the magma forges. Bronzebeard also made sure we included a side chamber for his personal forge and office.

Slate also reported that he'd found damp stone.

Mid-winter: We've found the top of the cave river and Slate has breached the top. Unfortunately the river is crawling with slimy nasties, so we've sent our soldiers up to deal with them. I've also decided that, if we can, we should catch some for use later. We have a few cages lying around, so we should be able to set up some traps.

Rainsong has also asked us to set up a fishing area there. But of course we won't be able to use it until we've cleared out the critters.

Late Winter: My time as overseer of this fort is drawing to a close. The cave river still needs to be dealt with, and work is still progressing on the magma forges. But we're in good shape.  The wall isn't done yet, but our masons are making good progress there. We also have more then enough bedrooms for everyone, although we'll need more once the next batch of workers arrive.

Here is the current fort overview:

I've also left quite a few notes on the fortress blueprints. I trust the next overseer will find them useful.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 04:24:58 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 12:15:55 pm »

EDIT: Useless post; request completed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 07:20:17 pm by Savok »
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 01:56:35 pm »

Looks good.  Thanks for the mod hints and looking forward to my turn.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Garanthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 02:53:15 pm »

Hmm... souds like fun :) Is it too late to join?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthguruntir - Dig deep for the Queen!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 04:29:24 pm »

Ok, my turn is done. We're in pretty good shape, so I think userpay will be able to focus his time on defenses and getting the magma forge running.

Here is the download.
Come play Mafia with us!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 09:13:57 pm »

Is Orihalcum the strongest non-adamantine material except for bolts?
Are we allowed to reveal a separate copy of the map to get a general idea of where to do for desired minerals, or are we required to do a bunch of exploratory mining.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 10:10:44 pm »

I'll probably get started tommarrow, tonight possibly if we don't watch a movie.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 10:18:48 pm »

Anyone care to upload a map?

I can if no one else wants to.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:24:28 pm by Christes »

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 10:19:16 pm »

Is Orihalcum the strongest non-adamantine material except for bolts?
Are we allowed to reveal a separate copy of the map to get a general idea of where to do for desired minerals, or are we required to do a bunch of exploratory mining.

well revealing is cheating and exploratory mining helps fortresses alot so... I am pretty sure he wants us to mine but its up to Mephansteras
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 10:42:49 pm »

To answer some questions:

I'd prefer we not do any cheating. It's no fun playing with HFS if you know where it is from the outset.

As for Orihalcum, no, it's not the best. Adamantine is still the best (500%), followed by Elementium (300% for all), Tempesitium (300 To ammo), Mithril (200% to all), Incendium (200 to weapons), Ward Iron (200 to armor), Orihalcum (175 to all),  Void Crystal (150 to all), Steel, and then the rest of alloys are under steel of some sort. Anything alloyed with Mithril will be better then normal, anything alloyed with Levisium will be weaker then normal (but much lighter).

I'm watching a movie in a few minutes, so I don't have time to upload a map. I guess if no one else has whenever I have time I will.
Come play Mafia with us!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 11:09:19 pm »

Nice metal cheatsheet there.

Wait, somethings doesn't look right about those images... oh god, you're using JPEGs! Please, for the sake of all good and dwarven, use .pngs! DF even has OptiPNG, a superb bmp-to-png compressor.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 11:14:37 pm »

Huh, must be the default for the program I'm using. I'll have to change that. Sorry about the fuzzyness.

Oh, and if anyone finds Frost Crystal, Flare Crystals, Ward Crystals, Storm Crystals, or Fire Hearts, do not encrust them on anything. They're much more valuable alloyed with iron. Except for Flare Crystals, which are a nice source of free fuel. Oh, and we can request Frost and Storm crystals from the Dwarves, which I recommend doing. Tepestium bolts will be very useful against the demons.

EDIT: Ok, map is up
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:17:22 am by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 06:23:13 am »

joy! catch the slimes! those could make awesome traps :P (dunno how strong those things are but setting up a breading program if possible would be fun :P)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10