Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Glory for the Queen! (New sign ups!)  (Read 14494 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthguruntir - Dig deep for the Queen!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 09:33:15 am »

joy! catch the slimes! those could make awesome traps :P (dunno how strong those things are but setting up a breading program if possible would be fun :P)

if Slimes are as strong as the vanilla dwarf fortress's Grimelings then they would make a good defense. 
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 10:06:37 am »

Umm...I think the slimes are meant to be slimies. As in, the cave river critters (olmmen, snakemen, Giant Toads, etc). I do have slimes in the mod, but we don't have any here. However, some of the cave critters, like the Cave Crocodile, are both tamable and trainable. I think they're all Exotic, though, so we'd need to wait for the Dungeon Master to show up.

Oh, and I figure I should explain my naming scheme, since people have probably picked up on the fact that I gave every dwarf a nickname. I do that for three reasons: 1) I like to be able to tell what job someone is supposed to do, 2) I like the flavor, and 3) I like to be able to tell at a glance which immigrants I've configured and which ones I haven't.

My naming scheme is:
Every dwarf past childhood gets a nickname
Nicknames are based on the intended profession
   Miners and stoneworkers get stone based names: Shale, Redstone, Marbleyes, Granitearms, stuff like that
   Woodcutters and workers get wood based name: Evergreen, Alder, Oakenbeard, etc.
   Fishery workers get Water based names: Rain, Riverwalker, etc.
   Bonecarvers get bone based names: Scrimshaw, Ivoryhair, etc
   Pure Furnace operators/wood burners get Fire based names: Fireeyes, Ash, etc
   Smiths get forge and metal based names: Bronzebeard, Redforge, Silvereyes, etc
   Clothiers get cloth & clothing based names: Redweaver, Bluecloak, etc
   Farmers get Plant based names: Redberry, Sungrain, etc
   Leatherworkers get fur/leather based names: Foxfur, Wolfmane, Rawhide
   Mechanics get Gear names: Irongear, Granitegear, etc.
   Siege Engineers and users get celestial or storm based names: Starstone, Comet, Hailstorm, etc
   Generalists & peasants get trait based names: Yellowbeard, Largebelly, Blueeyes, etc.

Administrators tend to get Master, Mistress, Lord, or Lady in their name. Nobles always get Lord or Lady.
  Bookkeepers, if not the admin, tend to get Rune in their name. Or just Rune as the name, usually for females.

I try to give names to the sexes that help me tell at a glance what gender a dwarf is.
  Males generally get names that contain things like: Beard, Arm, Grip, and other masculine attributes. Also somewhat male sounding stone or wood, like Alder, Granite, Gabbro, and so on. For some reason I consider dark colors, the Sun, and Gold to be masculine.
  Females generally get names that contain things like: Eyes, Hair, Shimmer, and other more feminine attributes. They also get more female sounding wood or stone like Maple, Willow, Mica, and so on. For some reason I consider light colors, the Moon, and Silver to be feminine.
  Due to the old bugged health care system, I'd name dwarves that had the 'Likes helping others' trait with special names so I could disable their other labors so they'd go help the wounded. I still do that sometimes, even though it doesn't matter as much now. Females got Song and Males Spirit somewhere in their name. Rainsong is a good example from this fort.

I don't know if everyone is willing to put the effort in to doing this, and I don't really care too much if you do or not. But I figured I'd explain it so that people knew what I was doing with the various dwarves and why they were all named that way.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:42:02 am »

ooh, I like that. Please, people, keep up the tradition!

Also, could there be some effort made at clearing away loose stone?
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 11:29:11 am »

Umm...I think the slimes are meant to be slimies. As in, the cave river critters (olmmen, snakemen, Giant Toads, etc). I do have slimes in the mod, but we don't have any here. However, some of the cave critters, like the Cave Crocodile, are both tamable and trainable. I think they're all Exotic, though, so we'd need to wait for the Dungeon Master to show up.

Oh, and I figure I should explain my naming scheme, since people have probably picked up on the fact that I gave every dwarf a nickname. I do that for three reasons: 1) I like to be able to tell what job someone is supposed to do, 2) I like the flavor, and 3) I like to be able to tell at a glance which immigrants I've configured and which ones I haven't.

My naming scheme is:
Every dwarf past childhood gets a nickname
Nicknames are based on the intended profession
   Miners and stoneworkers get stone based names: Shale, Redstone, Marbleyes, Granitearms, stuff like that
   Woodcutters and workers get wood based name: Evergreen, Alder, Oakenbeard, etc.
   Fishery workers get Water based names: Rain, Riverwalker, etc.
   Bonecarvers get bone based names: Scrimshaw, Ivoryhair, etc
   Pure Furnace operators/wood burners get Fire based names: Fireeyes, Ash, etc
   Smiths get forge and metal based names: Bronzebeard, Redforge, Silvereyes, etc
   Clothiers get cloth & clothing based names: Redweaver, Bluecloak, etc
   Farmers get Plant based names: Redberry, Sungrain, etc
   Leatherworkers get fur/leather based names: Foxfur, Wolfmane, Rawhide
   Mechanics get Gear names: Irongear, Granitegear, etc.
   Siege Engineers and users get celestial or storm based names: Starstone, Comet, Hailstorm, etc
   Generalists & peasants get trait based names: Yellowbeard, Largebelly, Blueeyes, etc.

Administrators tend to get Master, Mistress, Lord, or Lady in their name. Nobles always get Lord or Lady.
  Bookkeepers, if not the admin, tend to get Rune in their name. Or just Rune as the name, usually for females.

I try to give names to the sexes that help me tell at a glance what gender a dwarf is.
  Males generally get names that contain things like: Beard, Arm, Grip, and other masculine attributes. Also somewhat male sounding stone or wood, like Alder, Granite, Gabbro, and so on. For some reason I consider dark colors, the Sun, and Gold to be masculine.
  Females generally get names that contain things like: Eyes, Hair, Shimmer, and other more feminine attributes. They also get more female sounding wood or stone like Maple, Willow, Mica, and so on. For some reason I consider light colors, the Moon, and Silver to be feminine.
  Due to the old bugged health care system, I'd name dwarves that had the 'Likes helping others' trait with special names so I could disable their other labors so they'd go help the wounded. I still do that sometimes, even though it doesn't matter as much now. Females got Song and Males Spirit somewhere in their name. Rainsong is a good example from this fort.

I don't know if everyone is willing to put the effort in to doing this, and I don't really care too much if you do or not. But I figured I'd explain it so that people knew what I was doing with the various dwarves and why they were all named that way.

this is a great idea I might start doing this

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 04:37:20 pm »

I'm about to get started and I have successfully transplanted the mayday graphics into the folder (does not affect the save) so if anyone prefers the mayday graphics just ask and I'll pass it on.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 04:53:25 pm »

just wondering but how do you take the mayday graphics out becuase I like Dwarf fortress with no grapic packs at all so I would like to take them out during my turn and then put them back for the next person if they like it

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 05:15:46 pm »

just wondering but how do you take the mayday graphics out becuase I like Dwarf fortress with no grapic packs at all so I would like to take them out during my turn and then put them back for the next person if they like it
I can just rextract the DF folder from the zip given to me and put the save file into that and repackage it, no big deal. I've already found stuff that isn't supported by mayday, like the wasp is a w, but thats no big deal. The only problem (if it happens) would be if a creature is a black square though I know generally how to fix that.

The thing is how does one change the key format? I've knowticed that I can't use the plus, minus, multiply, and divide buttons on the numberpad.

I think I'll take Redstone as my dwarf, am I suppose to give him a position on the noble screen? And Meph are you suppose to beable to do stuff your not skilled at? I knowticed that you had masonry, carpendry and gem cutting enabled. I can see why the gem cutting and the masonry for the wall but I think carpendry is gonna be covered by others. Anyway I'll finish figuring out what I want to do then I'll start playing once I get answers to my questions.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Dig deep for the Queen!
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 05:29:22 pm »

Oh, sorry about the controls. I play on my laptop, so it's configured a little differently then the default. I completely forgot about that when setting up the save. It's probably easiest to just copy in the interface.txt file from vanilla DF. That should get it back to what everyone is used to.

Silvercoin can be set to pretty much whatever you want. It's probably best to keep him as the trader, and maybe bookkeeper. Otherwise, you can have him just do masonry or whatever. He had a lot of stuff active because I always have my trader be a jack-of-all-trades at first, and I guess I just didn't get around to specializing him.

As for your guy, you can make him manager if you want, or you can just give him a spiffy title and not worry about whether or not the game thinks he has any control over everything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 08:28:01 pm »

Oh, sorry about the controls. I play on my laptop, so it's configured a little differently then the default. I completely forgot about that when setting up the save. It's probably easiest to just copy in the interface.txt file from vanilla DF. That should get it back to what everyone is used to.

Silvercoin can be set to pretty much whatever you want. It's probably best to keep him as the trader, and maybe bookkeeper. Otherwise, you can have him just do masonry or whatever. He had a lot of stuff active because I always have my trader be a jack-of-all-trades at first, and I guess I just didn't get around to specializing him.

As for your guy, you can make him manager if you want, or you can just give him a spiffy title and not worry about whether or not the game thinks he has any control over everything.
Ok then I think its time I got cracking on this then.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 12:00:13 am »

Holy mother of Armok that was messed up. Its only mid spring and I've had to hit the ground running flat out, downhill, with alot of boulders comming down behind me. Did you relize exactly how many enemies were in the water? ALOT! And we almost ran out of booze because all the brewable plants had been used up in making meals. God Meph have you ever heard of one thing at a time? I swear you had 6 different projects going on at the same time. lol well thats been fun and I've gotten through the worst of it, river is now blocked off and I managed to get booze and plants off of the high elves so now I can work on organizing the stockpiles and defenses. Well I'll continue tommarrow, I feel like playing zelda now.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 12:14:59 am »

This is dwarf fortress!

6 projects at a time is nothing :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:17 am »

Hehe. You learn to tackle as much as possible in the shortest time possible when you've got enemies that'll siege you in your first winter. Not that the Dyansauri do that much anymore, since everyone became diplomatic and everything. But, yeah, I tend to do a lot all at once. In my defense, though, we had two groups of migrants that first year. You can do a lot with that much dwarfpower!

Glad you managed to pull through all right. Did you manage to get us a water source? I wouldn't have tackled the river so soon, but not having a water source makes me awfully nervous.
Come play Mafia with us!

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 09:38:03 am »

And we almost ran out of booze because all the brewable plants had been used up in making meals.

just press [z] and go to the Kitchen screen and set plump helmets only to brewable.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 11:13:39 am »

Hehe. You learn to tackle as much as possible in the shortest time possible when you've got enemies that'll siege you in your first winter. Not that the Dyansauri do that much anymore, since everyone became diplomatic and everything. But, yeah, I tend to do a lot all at once. In my defense, though, we had two groups of migrants that first year. You can do a lot with that much dwarfpower!

Glad you managed to pull through all right. Did you manage to get us a water source? I wouldn't have tackled the river so soon, but not having a water source makes me awfully nervous.
I'm thinking about how to install a grate to block the baddies so we can have water and a fishable area, I'll be continueing the fort in a little bit I just got up.

edit: wow I just got a 25 dwarf immigrant wave... and whats a felsite guard? came as a pet to a peasant.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:54:15 am by userpay »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 01:37:19 pm »

It's a stone golem. They make good bodyguards, since they have high damblock. Mostly I order them from the liaison and have bunch mill around the fortress. They've saved quite a few of my civilians before, since they can keep an ambush busy until the dwarf can get away. They're also pretty good at stomping theives, although they rarely win against an armored opponent.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10