Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Why Arn't guys supposed to shave their armpits?  (Read 20749 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Why Arn't guys supposed to shave their armpits?
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2009, 04:12:13 am »

Not to mention the itch.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2009, 05:40:43 pm »

It itches a hell of a lot more when it's just been shaved than when it's fully grown.  Also, there was no change in scent production when I shaved my pits, and I use a liquid deodorant that I can only assume is not affected by long hair.

But then again, that's not to say it's perfectly hygienic to have long hair either.  That's a lot of extra area for stuff to get caught in/stuck to.

It really, really only comes down to what the individual prefers.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2009, 11:38:54 pm »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Brown Jenkin....
And I wanted to sleep... Damn youuuuuuuuuuuu...
Ha! Enjoy your voyage through the shapeless abyss! ;D
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2009, 11:56:13 pm »

Fair enough if you consider it important to shave for health reasons. Shaving the hair from one's body, legs or underarms for any other reason, to me, indicates vanity—and I can remember when vanity was not considered a virtue. Then again, I have my own peculiar code about "fashion" and "beauty" and conforming to others' standards. I am in the minority.

But wouldn't someone choosing to leave hair there mean they'd just be conforming to your standards?

Also, for some reason, this sounds oddly like an excuse to be lazy about personal maintenance. Here's a good reason: Very few people like seeing a ridiculously hairy person. Is avoiding others' ire also vanity?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2009, 03:14:37 am »

it's not about how much hair you have, but how you have hair that makes people tolerate alot.

when your lazy, people stop appreciating that you have alot of hair

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2009, 04:15:17 am »

But wouldn't someone choosing to leave hair there mean they'd just be conforming to your standards?

Also, for some reason, this sounds oddly like an excuse to be lazy about personal maintenance. Here's a good reason: Very few people like seeing a ridiculously hairy person. Is avoiding others' ire also vanity?
Perhaps, but hair occurs ("normally", anyway) naturally. I think it's more a case of choosing to let one's hair grow than choosing to deliberately grow more hair. I don't think I'd enjoyed being "copied" in the way you suggest; other people "conforming to [my] standards", for purely aesthetic means, at least. I would be happy, however, if more people stopped caring so much about how they had to appear to other people (and how other people had to appear to them), especially from a gender-based perspective ("why aren't guys supposed to shave their armpits?", after all: equally, why are girls "supposed" to share theirs? and countless other sensible questions with ridiculous answers).

I'm not sure I would classify myself as "ridiculously hairy"! I would also think that the point at which hairiness becomes ridiculous, it could also be classified as dangerous to health.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting by "avoiding others' ire". I was bullied at school, I suppose, about the length of my hair, and am still (albeit rarely) subjected to comments and insults about it today; but this isn't my problem—more specifically, it's not my problem if some ignorant, backwards-thinking or fashion-led folk feel sufficiently offended by the hairs on my head to want to direct personal insults towards me. Now, if I felt threatened enough by others' aggression about hair (really, of all things?), if I really believed that not conforming to others' standards, would result in physical harm, I might be persuaded to lose some hair. However, this has not been the case, and in my experience the sort of people who would make it clear without solicitation that they find some aspect of your appearance to be distasteful, will likely try to find some other aspect of your self to be offended by should you attempt to "rectify" the first.

Addendum: I have trimmed/shaved/cut facial and head hair in the past when it was required by law (i.e. at secondary school, where a code of uniform was enforced) and where an "excessive" volume of hair would have potentially resulted in losing (or not gaining) a job... albeit reluctantly.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:52 pm »

I somehow felt compelled to post this at the mention of "ridiculously hairy", although a thumbnail was all I could find.

From the bizarre anime Hare+Guu.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2009, 11:35:53 pm »

From the bizarre anime Hare+Guu.
Calling an anime "bizarre" is like saying that fire is "hot".

Looking at your pic, and having just rubbed one out to Vincent Price in another thread (not really), I feel compelled to post this:
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2009, 09:32:28 am »

shaving your armpits is a matter of courtesy during a warm season, unless your sweat and decaying bacteries smell like roses.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2009, 11:29:02 am »

shaving your armpits is a matter of courtesy during a warm season, unless your sweat and decaying bacteries smell like roses.

If you have good hygiene it doesn't really make a huge difference.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2009, 06:51:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*Maybe NSFW* or not

That's what armpits should looks like, guys.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2009, 12:26:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*Maybe NSFW* or not

That's what armpits should looks like, guys.

Our armpits should look like some anime chick? I'm sure the big googly eyes would freak out alot of people.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2009, 12:59:24 pm »

That is one disgusting armpit.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2009, 07:18:41 am »

men don't shave armpits because it takes to much effort for no discernible gain.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7