Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Mars Fortress

(1/16) > >>

PTTG??:
I've been considering a mod which would simulate a martian colony, like what we've been doing with the Ares III project. This would, definitely, require the new version at least, but I think there's a lot of potential.
It would require:
-An inhospitable environment: unprotected units die quickly on the surface. This could be done in a few ways, probably by making a world map by hand that is mostly tundra and wastelands and making humans freeze at normal temperatures. That said, in some areas of mars, at  summer, the temperature can reach as high as  68o. Also, make most soil and rock types red.
Eliminate plants, and make sure that any bodies of water will be frozen and near the poles.
-Environment Suits: Layering values to protect against the cold. We can assume that air is somehow kept pure by technology, though if it ever becomes possible to have air needs, that should be implemented. If you don't have a segment of suit, that body part should freeze/decompress.
-Crafting: Colonists should have a number of crafting materials available, some from new sources: plants that can have carbon extracted, bars of plastic can be extruded, and stones can have silicon processed from them.
-Farming: Seeds can be bought for plants that can be grown in underground chambers, though they should give very low yields compared to DF plants.
-Inside the base: Should find a way for children to be born without instantly freezing to death. Similarly, build a habitable area aboveground.

MagicJuggler:
Another item of interest: Replace wagons with drop pods.  ;D

woose1:

--- Quote from: MagicJuggler on December 28, 2008, 02:00:52 pm ---Another item of interest: Replace wagons with drop pods.  ;D

--- End quote ---
I likey.

Boksi:
Make space suits armor that gives high coverage and normal clothes that don't so that you can venture outside if you're wearing them.

Traders might be problematic though.

diefortheswarm:
You could make the traders only able to wear space suits.  They don't show up naked after all.

Underground rivers could even be part of this since it is widely believed that liquid water might flow under the surface of Mars.  Magma would have to go though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version