Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Common Question: When do I need to generate a new world?  (Read 311516 times)

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
Re: Common Question: When do I need to generate a new world?
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2020, 10:26:31 am »

I'd rather ask here (since the question suits this thread perfectly) than create an entirely new post, but does the world regeneration rule apply to 'item_???.txt' files as well?

I forgot to add in an 'item_???.txt' file for my custom instruments which was the reason why my instrument-based crafting reactions kept failing (they kept crafting all manner of unrelated tools instead of instrumental parts), and I'm not too sure if adding it to my pre-existing world would work.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2021, 03:10:17 pm »

Is there a conversion rate for animals IRL height to DF height?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2021, 05:06:31 pm »

The game doesn't really simulate height all that meaningfully. It simulates volume in cubic centimeters. There are more precise formulas for converting volume to the proper weight with regards to things like antlers and horns, but it looks like most of the vanilla animals were sized by simply taking the weight of the real animal in kilograms.

For example, a male gray wolf weighs an average of 40kg in real life, and the DF version has a size of 40,000.

TLDR:Take the animals' average weight in kilograms and multiply by 1000.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2021, 05:52:19 am »

So to be clear about something I didn't quite understand after reading this thread (or maybe I missed it)...

I realize that lots of changes, like most entity stuff, and presumably most added objects, require a regen if you want the new content, but I wonder; when is a new world actually required? As in, if you make this type of change to an existing save, it will cause crashes or other instability problems?

I understand adding new creatures will for example not actually give you them in the world (because they weren't populated into the world during worldgen), and some changes to creatures won't take effect until a new generation (like NATURAL_SKILL apparently), but when will a change (or addition) actually break saves?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2021, 08:39:36 am »

Good question, since this thread is so old I reckon much of the technical information (save structures etc.) in the early pages might either be outdated or incorrect to begin with because they had gathered little knowledge on modding previously. For instance this comment either reflects a time before the raws moved into individual saves, or an error on the writer's side (bolded for highlighting):
On a related note, which files do you need to move when you update your DF version? I've previously always just regenned in the new version, but with all of these d#'s, I'd like to keep going..

Each savegame is a folder inside /data/saves.  Usually they're labeled "region1," "region9" or something like that.  Just move that folder.  Unless you have mods, in which case you should copy across your /raw/objects folder too.

However, with the changes to the mod structure coming with Steam/itch.io release, any !science! done now will have to be re-done at that point. It could still be a worthwhile effort, a proper description could help up until the next release, and to compare to when exploring the new system, but so could waiting be. Especially since Toady has said he has considered leaking the mod/graphics structure to modders before the release (in the latest Blind interview?), so the wait might be shorter than for the actual release.

Viax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2023, 01:59:52 pm »

I started to add more mods to Dark Ages. Starting from stonecrafting, with more entities ending.Last time i tryed to add ability to make more arrows (as i like bows), like 100 arrow stack. When i generated word i've seen these reactions in work manager! But after sometime (still 7 dwarfs) i noticed, that these reactions.. Disappeared! How could i add those again? what would make them disappear?

And what's more, there are two files,
Entity_default.txt
Entity.txt

If i want to add more civs, where should i add them? And what's the difference between them ?

I was thinking about making RAWS backup save, and just add everything from mods to the vanilla entity file.
Maybe old word without these changes (more arrows) made the trouble? Any thoughts?

Viax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2023, 02:17:09 pm »

when i start in the same word i have:

https://www.yogile.com/gjdutv5ywh6/21t/share/?vsc=

Dunno how to insert image here :( sorry for double post if it's something not appropriate.

Viax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2023, 02:13:37 pm »

Anybody could please help me?

I noticed that you can change weapons/items etc. values like size, penetration, velocity etc. But, when i just want to add THE SAME WEAPON, just with changed stat, and little changed name - it doesn't work. But somehow i remember i have added reactions for crafting 100 bolts stack size mid-game, altho it hadn't work first time, after few saves... it just... worked.. HOW? what are the tricks to add things midgame? Some people told it is possible via dfhack commands.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]