Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Common Question: When do I need to generate a new world?  (Read 311907 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Common Question: When do I need to generate a new world?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 10:38:11 pm »

Oh yeah.  Professions.  I've done that before too, now you mention it.  Left architecture out of a new civ, didn't realize until after embark, saved&quitted, added it back in, and then wham.  I had architects once more.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 11:58:11 pm »

On the subject of "entity tokens that can be changed without a regen," I can confirm [MERCHANT_BODYGUARDS] doesn't require a regen.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 04:21:11 pm »

After some recent experimentation:

Adding or removing pet and other domestic tags for the purpose of creature availability as pets on embark requires a regen.

for instance adding [COMMON_DOMESTIC][PET] to elves will let you buy elves on embark if you have generated a new world, but not if you have not.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 02:24:11 pm »

Surprised this isn't here yet.

I discovered that [Progress Triggers:X] etc do not require world gen. Forgot to add it to a dwarf entity, went two autumns without trade. Added it back, they came for the third.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 02:49:47 pm »

Surprised this isn't here yet.

I discovered that [Progress Triggers:X] etc do not require world gen. Forgot to add it to a dwarf entity, went two autumns without trade. Added it back, they came for the third.
Ditto for [ACTIVE_SEASON:]

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:30 pm »

I'd love to add all that to the first post.
I really would.
But it would clutter it up too much.
I had this idea...

If somebody makes a list of every token and their relative ability to not require a new generation (we really need a better noun form for this..) or even just those that can or cannot (though both of those imply the other and the full), I can make this work.
Until then, there's not much I can do.
I'm trying to keep the first post short and to the point.  A huge list of every token in every file obviously (besides not being able to fit in a single post anyway) would be very cumbersome to actually find what you're looking for in.
If we get each file's tokens analyzed and sorted by post, I can make the first post a convenient, sorted directory for the rest of them.
But we don't have that nicety until those sort of lists happen.  I don't have the time to do this on my own.  I'm just the organizer, I suppose.  It might even be worthwhile to use the Wiki's framework and just add a "Requires world generation?" column.
Of course, this will greatly complicate the world regeneration question.  It should probably wait until the next version, since most of the raws have been completely and utterly gutted and rebuilt from the ground up.  But it will be worthwhile, my friends.
That is, once it happens.

tl;dr: Forum megaproject -- Organized lists of tokens by file and their corresponding world generation requirement.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 04:10:17 am »

^ You could just say something like "Entity file modding: probably requires regen (see thread for exceptions)".
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »

^ You could just say something like "Entity file modding: probably requires regen (see thread for exceptions)".
Or make ample use of spoilers.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 01:31:24 am »

Another tag which requires regen is [MERCHANT_NOBILITY], which gives you a trade guild representative.  If you add it to elves, you also need to remove [trEECAP_DIPLOMACY].  Apparently the tree cap overrides the guild rep, although it may have been because the tree cap was first in the entity definition.

Also, a list would be useful for people who continue to play 40d, or earlier versions, after the new version comes out.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 10:54:53 pm »

OK I moved the Entry for GCSes from creatures_subterranean.txt to creatures_domestic.txt and had to gen a new world
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 09:16:10 am »

When do you need to start a new game?
If I removed the "exotic pet" tag from the GCS and added the regular "tameable" tag to it, would I need to start a new game? Changing the important temperatures for the different creatures, for example, only needs a restart of DF and you can just continue on with your fortress.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 11:10:32 am »

MC Dirty: that depends on what you want that effect to be. If you want to be able to embark/trade for GCS? If so, then you do need to regen. If you only want to change their taming qualities, then no regen is needed.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2010, 11:34:32 pm »

so if i change the biome for a certain creature (ex: from [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE] to [BIOME:ANY_LAND]) will i have to regenerate a new world, or just re-embark?
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 06:01:40 pm »

Nice avatar jaybud, Digger's an awesome webcomic.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 10:23:04 am »

so if i change the biome for a certain creature (ex: from [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE] to [BIOME:ANY_LAND]) will i have to regenerate a new world, or just re-embark?
Re-gen.  The game tracks creature populations by region, and consequently by biome.  If re-embarking changed it, you'd effectively transport the population data from one area to another - which I imagine could be messy, code-wise.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11