Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Common Question: When do I need to generate a new world?  (Read 311923 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Common Question: When do I need to generate a new world?
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »

Just posting the results of several experiments. All deletions/removals/other tests were carried out in the save file raws and involved creature files, so I am not sure if this applies to other types of files as well or not.

1. Deletion of a text file causes an error due to missing creatures within file. (no surprise there)
2. Creatures can be moved between text files at will as long as they are not deleted.
3. Text files can be deleted at will as long as the creatures within them are moved to another text file before deletion.
4. New creature entries in the raws are not counted as part of the world. This means that any new creatures added to the save raws can be deleted at will and will not have any effect in the world.
That all fits within the baseline established prior.
As creatures are created at worldgen, adding new ones to an existing world won't affect anything because they don't exist there.

Keep it coming, my fellow dwarves!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 12:26:17 am »

As creatures are created at worldgen, adding new ones to an existing world won't affect anything because they don't exist there.

It's the same with reactions.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 04:11:02 pm »

It's the same with reactions.
Except that, no, it's not.

I added reactions to my world just fine.
You have to add them to the dwarf entity's permissions.
If you did that, I don't know what to say, because I tested this one myself.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2010, 09:02:08 pm »

Ah okay.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2010, 02:44:12 pm »

Adding new weapons (and by extension I assume other gear) to an entity's permissions still requires a re-gen, it would seem.  And yes, I tried it with the region's raws, not the overall raws.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2010, 03:47:28 pm »

I can't add new reactions without a re-gen. Editing old ones works just fine.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2010, 05:33:01 pm »

I can't add new reactions without a re-gen. Editing old ones works just fine.

Yes, I am running into this as well, maybe that should be noted in the text of the OP?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2010, 09:03:23 pm »

Editing bodies seems to be a bit more iffy than in 40d.  I think you can add them, but I'm not entirely sure.  I know that if you just remove ears, for example, without any other changes to dwarves, it can cause the game to crash on loading.  With some fiddling I managed to get it to only crash when unpaused, but that's not terribly useful.  With extensive editing it might be doable, but not easy.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2010, 01:51:29 am »

As of .31.03 it appears that modifying noble tags (e.g. name, who appoints whom, etc.) in entity_default requires a regen.  I suspect this is a consequence of how the engine generates historical events.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2010, 06:47:22 pm »

Damn.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2010, 12:29:54 pm »

What about the Object Testing Arena? I get the option of the Worlds I have generated, and (DEFAULT)Raw

But I'm not sure whether it means the object/raw or the last world embarked in etc.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2010, 01:13:39 pm »

I wouldn't think it would, but could someone confirm or deny that adding [PERMITTED_REACTION:WHATEVER] to an entity doesn't require regen.  Because if it does, I'm wasting time looking for something I didn't miss.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2010, 01:50:31 pm »

What about the Object Testing Arena? I get the option of the Worlds I have generated, and (DEFAULT)Raw

But I'm not sure whether it means the object/raw or the last world embarked in etc.
It means DF/object/raw for the default, and selecting the different regions chooses that regions own raw files.
Just so I remember

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2010, 07:42:56 pm »

Hopefully I didn't skim over it posted somewhere, but in 31.12, saving causes DF to overwrite the df/data/regionX/raw/objects folder with df/raw/objects folder
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11