Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Common Question: When do I need to generate a new world?  (Read 311908 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Common Question: When do I need to generate a new world?
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2010, 03:39:04 pm »

Shameless self promotion.

I've done sufficient testing that I feel comfortable posting a link:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67059.0

Program to add workshops, reactions, materials, etc. to a game in progress.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2010, 02:07:29 pm »

Is there a utility to create aquifer tiles? Search gave me nothing. I know DFliquids can add water to walls, but it's a long way from infinite.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2010, 03:56:04 pm »

The extended DFHack tools have some nitty-gritty tile editing, but aquifer creation can be tricky, especially if neighboring tiles have been dug out already.  Essentially, if you want one aquifer tile, you make it and all of it's 8 neighbors aquifer, then dig out the neighbors to get reliable water creation from the center remaining wall tile.
You will have to compile the DFHack unstable playground tools for yourself, though.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »

Bumping this isn't necessary, being that it's stickied, but I've updated it with information in regards to DF World Tinker and how it allows you to subvert one of the rules, provided that your saves are uncompressed.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2011, 07:45:09 am »

you can add permitted reactions to an entity file without a problem. I modded some new coal in and I forget the entity file but after saving and chaning it works

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2011, 02:11:19 am »

I added the civ_controllable tag to a couple of races. Does even that require a newly genned world?

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2011, 07:12:02 pm »

You can create a new world gen if you mod the creature raws, but in cases where mistakes are made, on MUST delete old gens. They keep old data that may cause crashes or keep the old version of whatever creature you were adding/changing.

And to MasterMorality, my guess is yes, since you had to go into the entity files did you not?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2011, 03:58:19 pm »

I added the civ_controllable tag to a couple of races. Does even that require a newly genned world?

I do not believe it does.  However, there may be some things controllable civs do differently in the world gen.   Remember you will need to replace the raw file in your saves as well.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2011, 04:19:41 pm »

You can create a new world gen if you mod the creature raws, but in cases where mistakes are made, on MUST delete old gens. They keep old data that may cause crashes or keep the old version of whatever creature you were adding/changing.

If I understood correctly what you were saying is that if you gen a new world, alter the main raws, then gen a new world you must delete the old ones to avoid conflict? That's not the case, as the saved games are relying only on the raws inside that specific save, any modifications to main raws won't affect nor conflict with old saves.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2011, 06:23:26 am »

Being a mod noob I don't understand the thread as some posts seem to conflict with each other.
I can confirm however, that removing equipment so that only this remains

[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:COMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES:COMMON]
[SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_SHIELD]

from goblin entry in entity_default.txt (in the save raw folder) had no effect. Goblins still showed up wearing full gear.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2011, 11:27:19 am »

Being a mod noob I don't understand the thread as some posts seem to conflict with each other.
I can confirm however, that removing equipment so that only this remains from goblin entry in entity_default.txt (in the save raw folder) had no effect. Goblins still showed up wearing full gear.
Keep in mind the dates.  Posts made before .31 will, naturally, not fit the .31 worldgen rules.
Also, you probably want to only read the first post.
Most entity changes require a new world.
Not quite.
You just have to edit the correct set of raws.  Old saves will keep the way everything was unless you edit that set of raws.
Changing the main raws will have no effect on your old saves.  No decreased stability, no weird new bugs.
There's no absolute need to generate a new world in that case, unless you add or remove an entry.

The first post still fits.  I've edited it to maintain some terminology that I coined back when the thread first came about to make things a bit easier to understand.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:42 pm »

Hello,

I created a custom reaction and created a new world.  One of the reactants is "cryolite" (example), if I replace "cryolite" with another rock (i.e. microcline), but the rest of the reaction is unchanged (and I'm not creating a new reaction "object"), do I need to generate a new world?

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2011, 12:50:23 pm »

Hello,

I created a custom reaction and created a new world.  One of the reactants is "cryolite" (example), if I replace "cryolite" with another rock (i.e. microcline), but the rest of the reaction is unchanged (and I'm not creating a new reaction "object"), do I need to generate a new world?

- Dame de la Licorne
Nope. You can change the inner parts of reactions all you want, so long as you don't add entirely new reagents or products(if you have reagents "a", "b", and "c" you can't add in a "d". But you can change what reagent "a" is defined as)
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2011, 09:26:21 am »

...unless you inject the new reaction tags into the savegame file.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2011, 10:59:24 pm »

This may fall into the bigger question of Tags vs Entities, but would it be necessary to make a gen a new world to add shapes to descriptor_shape_standard?  I'd imagine that the shapes added wouldn't appear where they previously hadn't, but could engravers (for example) make them show up without a gen?  Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11