Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BrainStorming for the Future Of map based Forum games  (Read 2994 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BrainStorming for the Future Of map based Forum games
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:02 pm »

ok after Dig 3 tiles and Squad digger I have decided that we should have a Thread that you put your Ideas for a game n the Forums that would require a Map and others will share their ideas.

my idea (which I will make after you guys help me out) is to make something like Dig 3 tiles but everyone only gets one character to control and there are 2 teams to build the best fortress while the GM (ME) gives them challenges like goblins but also give them Caravans to trade with and so fourth. I will (probably) start this game in a few days but any ideas?
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: BrainStorming for the Future Of map based Forum games
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:29:34 pm »

Mind you each turn should have a significant ability to do stuff. We don't waqnt to take a billion turns to smooth our fortress and build walls, we want those walls done NOW!

Thus the difference between forums and IRC. IRC can have many small actions. Forums require fewer larger actions. Thus why forum-based roleplays require several paragraphs to pull off right.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:32:04 pm »

Mind you each turn should have a significant ability to do stuff. We don't waqnt to take a billion turns to smooth our fortress and build walls, we want those walls done NOW!

Thus the difference between forums and IRC. IRC can have many small actions. Forums require fewer larger actions. Thus why forum-based roleplays require several paragraphs to pull off right.
Of course a fourm game needs to be updated with larger paragraphs, the up side is that everything is much more orderly and easy to follow.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:39:23 pm »

I'm in favor of a Team Dwarf Fortress thing. It might be good to see some Squad Digger type classes as opposed to things like "Cook" and "Cheesemaker," though.

What about trying to make the game continuous? Where if one team (let's say) captures a flag or something, they just get a point and the game continues. This sort of model would need things to deal with inactive players and new players. Maybe inactive players could get kicked if they spend more than X turns inactive, and new players could jump in via a respawn point when slots open.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 09:41:25 pm »

I hope you know but other people can put their own ideas because this is just a idea Thread.

I'm in favor of a Team Dwarf Fortress thing. It might be good to see some Squad Digger type classes as opposed to things like "Cook" and "Cheesemaker," though.

What about trying to make the game continuous? Where if one team (let's say) captures a flag or something, they just get a point and the game continues. This sort of model would need things to deal with inactive players and new players. Maybe inactive players could get kicked if they spend more than X turns inactive, and new players could jump in via a respawn point when slots open.
also sometimes games just need to end because they can get boring after a while or just to busy and complicated

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 09:44:51 pm »

Yeah, In a fourm game I made I had a idea like "if all slots are full and a player takes more then one day to post kill them off to make room for people who want to play." It works pretty good at keeping the game going. You should consider removing people based on how quickly turns rotate though, like if its one day a turn then you should just get rid of someone for missing one turn, but if its mabey a turn an hour they could possiblly miss three or four before suspension.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 09:50:18 pm »

IMO, this:

A ..,≈≈≈,.,.,..,.██████████████████████████████
B ,.≈≈≈≈.,.,,..,.██████████████████████████████
C .,≈≈≈≈≈,.,,..,.██████████████████████████████
D ..ταα,.,,..████████████████████████████████
E ..≈≈≈≈≈,.,,..,.██████████████████████████████
F ..α.,.,,.,,███████████████████████████████
G ..,..,.,.,,.,████████████████████████████████
H ,,....,.,████████████████████████████████
I ,.,..,.,████████████████████████████████
J ...,..,,████████████████████████████████
K ..,..,ﻛ..,████████████████████████████████
L c..,.,.,..,██████████████████████████████
M c.,...,..M.█••*₤███████████████████████████
N ,.,"=,.*████████████████████████████
O ..,..,.,.█••*████████████████████████████
P .,.]▓.,..████████████████████████████████
Q ..,τ.,O██O.,████████████████████████████████
R .τ,..,σ.,.███████████████████████████████
S ..,..,.,.,,█████████████████████████████
T .,.,÷÷█.,,,████████•••███████████████████
U ..,..OO.,,,'██•••••••••██████████████████
V ..,...,.,,.,,,'██•████•••███████████████████
W ..,.████.,,.,,,.'•████•█████████████████████
X ..███████,,..,,'.████k•████████████████.g██

If reverted back to a smaller size, is fine for any DF forum game.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 10:07:47 pm »

IMO, this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If reverted back to a smaller size, is fine for any DF forum game.

poor goblin in the bottom right  :'( I might just join this so he can make his own fortress...

also this Thread could also be used if someone wants a map but can't make it them selves they could ask someone else to make it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:35:25 am by DF newb »