Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting goblin ice fortress, have questions.  (Read 2213 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Starting goblin ice fortress, have questions.
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:29:52 am »

Fellow forumsdwarves,

I'm going to start a goblin fortress next to a freezing mountain. I have a few questions.

1. Will invaders automatically attack me because I'm a babysnatching civ, or will they require extra coaxing in the raws?

2. If I wanted to get rid of the goblin caravan (The civ screen says "No trade" and I want to reflect this in game) would removing the active season tags in their entity file accomplish this? If so, does this have any effect on immigration or the like?

3. Are there any other concerns I might worry about?

4. How big should I build my ice castle?

Sorry if this should be in modding, but I'll still be playing as vanilla goblins, so I thought it should go here.

This will be a fun challenge, I must say. Playing as a race that eats only meat and bone, is hostile to all other civilizations, doesn't farm, receives no trade, and will likely die within the first few months of thirst because they can't embark with any booze? I'm excited.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting goblin ice fortress, have questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 07:38:17 am »

What kind of a goblin lives in an ice fortress? At the very least build an obsidian block tower surrounded by ice. Drop water from the top with buckets to create walls, it supposedly works

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:35:11 am »

Without constantly replenishing the supply of good clothing, your goblins will eventually freeze to death.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:11:27 pm »

What kind of a goblin lives in an ice fortress? At the very least build an obsidian block tower surrounded by ice. Drop water from the top with buckets to create walls, it supposedly works

I figured I'd try out a goblin fortress and a freezing fortress with giant above ground constructions all at the same time. As for the bucket thing, yeah, that's the central idea behind the fortress I intend to build.

Without constantly replenishing the supply of good clothing, your goblins will eventually freeze to death.

This can be solved with leather, since I will have a lot after feeding goblins with exclusively meat. Thankfully, if I run out of meat, goblins will eat bones.

The bigger problem is whether or not I'll still get invasions, because if I don't, then there won't be any 'fun'.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 06:15:28 pm »

I'm not sure that bones actually provide sustenance, and there's a chance they'll choke on them, apparently.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 12:27:38 am »

Just remember that your bonepile needs to be inside or they'll dust.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets