Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stunned miners  (Read 1655 times)

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Stunned miners
« on: December 31, 2008, 08:29:59 am »

Every now and then I'd notice my miners walking around while being stunned at the same time. By right, they shouldn't be walking if they're stunned. What's more mysterious is I can't figure out what's causing them to be stunned, they weren't fighting nor did they fall off a z-level or are injured. They're just stunwalking, and it seems to only affect my miners.

Apart from having the stun status effect displayed they don't seem to be actually affected by it. Apart from the mild annoyance from seeing them stunned I'm not really bothered about it but I'm also wondering if anyone else have had similar occurrences before or know what's causing it to happen.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Re: Stunned miners
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:56:27 am »

Do you have any spiders on your map? I know GCS has a stun/paralizing bite, and I've been told that the lesser vermin types of spiders do too.  Tho that wouldnt explain why they are walking *shrugs*
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:12:13 am »

Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:55:55 am »

Regular cave spiders bite you too

Unfortunately the venom never wears off and the antivenom doesn't work eyt. Brilliant design huh?  :P

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 10:07:35 am »

Hmm, well my miners seem to be walking around at top speed without hauling anything and there aren't any cave spiders on my map. The stun effect just randomly shows up even as I watch my miners go about their jobs.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:23:07 am »

Do you channel?

Sometimes, especially when channelling near ramps, miners will fall down a square that vanishes right beneath their feet, thus stunning them for a short while.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:30:27 am »

Do they get stunned when they walk outside? It might be cave adaption.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 10:42:42 am »

Do they get stunned when they walk outside? It might be cave adaption.

You're right, it's cave adaptation. Cheers! I checked their profiles and indeed they were irritated by the sun although they weren't vomiting. The wiki didn't mention that getting stunned is also a side-effect of cave-adaptation.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

chonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 03:41:08 pm »

The wiki has been updated. Do you have more details I can add? Are they also vomiting? Can you check again to see if their speed is not affected?

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 06:24:27 pm »

I would like to add that once upon a time (this version though...40d) i forgot how to collapse multiple layers, and had the dwarves channeling the top without a support. The resulting fall managed to knock the left eyeball out of both of their heads  ;D.

They occasionally became stunned, presumable from the pain.
-Toast-_

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 06:49:29 pm »

The wiki has been updated. Do you have more details I can add? Are they also vomiting? Can you check again to see if their speed is not affected?

I'll keep that in mind, but it would be a while before cave adaptation sets back in I suppose, it just so happens that my miners hadn't been exposed to sunlight for long periods 'cos I had a big project going on in my lowest dungeon which is why I'm seeing my dwarfs get cave adaptation for the first time in this fortress :-P
¯\_(ツ)_/¯