Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FGSFDS.  (Read 3878 times)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
FGSFDS.
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:58:15 pm »

I am really tired of this, guise.

I cannot, for the life of me, find magma successfully.

I've even changed the Init to show where it is:

[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:ALWAYS]

What am I doing wrong?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FGSFDS.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 07:03:22 pm »

What happens when you tell the site finder to find magma?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:03:53 pm »

What your doing wrong is NOT finding a pre-generated world.

Eldin

• Bay Watcher
  • BINGO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 07:11:36 pm »

Or just up the volcanism (?) parameter when genning a world. If you set it to MIN:3 there will be decent amounts of magma, and your world will still have sedimentary rock.

Set it to Min: 100 and Max: 100, however, and every local tile (where you can set Fortress Size) will have at least a magma pool and pipe. Sediment layers will be hard to find, though.

If you did this already, feel free to disregard this.
Hi!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:41:45 pm »

It's not hard to find magma.

• Use the site finder to find a magma pipe/pool
  • Search manually, looking for volcanoes. Every world will have some unless you set the minimum count to "0", which it isn't by default.
  • Search manually, looking for igneous extrusive layers. You're bound to find volcanoes in most of those areas
  • If worldgen parameters or init parameters for site-finding can override each other, make sure both say "ALWAYS" or whatever for displaying these features on the local embark map.
  • Change worldgen parameters. Mess with volcanism mesh weights, or, more simply, change the min. number of volcanoes, and turn min. volcanism up to something like 10 or 15.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 08:19:02 pm »

What happens when you tell the site finder to find magma?

I did this. I see no magma.

Now, with those mods, I should be able to see magma pools, even if I haven't dug to them, right?

Or is there something else I need to do to do that?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:22:16 pm »

I think I see the problem here.

Those options only show magma on the embark screen, where it shows as ~ and double ~ marks in dark red. Remember: Dark red. Normal red is just sand.

On the local screen, sometimes magma features can be underground. You will need to remember which tile the magma feature was and dig around that general area 'till you find it. Also, sometimes you will find obsidian in the form of a circle over the magma if your lucky.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:13:27 pm »

Thing is, I've seen people on here who haven't tapped their magma pools who still have them visible for whatever reason. I need to know how to do this, preferably while leaving the surrounding rock alone; part of the fun of DF is finding new rock with the "you have struck bongolite!" message.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 10:28:11 pm »

Well, such features are never guaranteed to be visible. Seems to be a random chance, like everything else in this game. Keep looking, you will find one exposed to the air.

That is, unless you want to see it without even digging. Then you might want to search the wiki for a utility called Reveal. Reveals the underground completely. You must be careful though, as some features are disabled with it(Underground water features not spawning trees, HFS not working, etc).
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »

Reveal reveals EVERYTHING though.

I just want to be able to see the magma pools/underground rivers.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 10:37:11 pm »

Well, you only really have a couple of choices:

-Keep searching for a pipe that breaches the surface. Again, a shot in the dark.
 -Dig out around the feature to reveal it.
 -Use some tweak program to reveal those tiles. Don't know how they work myself, so you need to ask somebody else how feasible this is.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 10:38:25 pm »

Site-find for magma pipe, dig out the bottom layer of map, when you get a pop-up, it should be there. Though other features underground can cause similar pop-up  ;D

As for not seeing it on surface, I've found 5 magma pipe from digging underground, one which I wasn't expecting to find ( Out in middle of a plain ) and the sixth one was open on surface. So, I figures, if you're looking for magma pipe or pool, there're very very high chance that you're not gonna find it on surface unless the embark map shows it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:22 pm »

Save scum when using reveal.  That's when you do something like Reveal when you don't want to be permanent and then exit without saving.  You can do that with ctrl+alt+delete.  There are other ways to save scum that are said to be more reliable, but they are more complicated.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 10:58:26 pm »

Just savescum if necessary, and start off digging a bunch of shafts in the approximate area where it should be, which you should know from the embark screen. You should be able to find it just fine.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 11:01:23 pm »

Thing is, I REMEMBER people with revealed rivers/pools/etc that they hadn't dug to but found anyway.

Someone with ranks in Use Tweaks, help please?
Pages: [1] 2