Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm making the Seattle Space Needle in DF!  (Read 1779 times)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
I'm making the Seattle Space Needle in DF!
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:40:41 pm »

It's just in the planning stages right now, though.

How I have it planned is 10 Z-levels of tower, then five levels of "disc" and three levels of "point."

The middle will have kitchens and dining rooms (since there's a restaurant in the real Space Needle) as well as little rooms going up the outside.

It's primarily quartzite, with a little marble here and there and microcline when I need to get rid of it.

Discuss?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: I'm making the Seattle Space Needle in DF!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 10:44:06 pm »

Hmm...

Mind you it won't look terribly impressive in a 3D viewing program. I would advise having, say, 20 z-levels of tower for the 5 levels of restaurant. Won't look quite as odd.

Also, be sure to bring glass. Ain't the space needle unless you can see out of it.

Actually, I don't think anybody has made a tower with all-window sides. That would be interesting to see.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:55:06 pm »

Hmm...

Mind you it won't look terribly impressive in a 3D viewing program. I would advise having, say, 20 z-levels of tower for the 5 levels of restaurant. Won't look quite as odd.

Also, be sure to bring glass. Ain't the space needle unless you can see out of it.

Actually, I don't think anybody has made a tower with all-window sides. That would be interesting to see.
Glass walls would probably suffice.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 11:01:07 pm »

But we have seen quite a few glass wall fortresses. Isn't impressive anymore. Windows, not quite as used.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 11:02:51 pm »

I'd make it taller, but the area I'm working from has only sixteen levels of sky.

I suspect I'll do it again somewhere else on a larger scale once I've proven I can do it.

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 11:08:24 pm »

Don't forget the super structure in the tower; it's a lot more than just a wall. Maybe add a gift shop too? I'm sure some dwarves would like a +Bronze Scepter+ on their visit. ;) A garden at the bottom would be nice too.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 12:09:32 am »

Post screenshots when its done.  Preferably a couple from 3dwarf too. 

And best of luck making it. 

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 12:48:23 am »

I can't use 3dwarf successfully. I only get a small amount of my map, and it makes my computer slow down to an insane degree for no apparent reason.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 09:31:38 am »

I can't use 3dwarf successfully. I only get a small amount of my map, and it makes my computer slow down to an insane degree for no apparent reason.

Download the tutorial video. The reason you can only see a 'small part' of the map is because you probably haven't adjusted the max viewing distance. There are two buttons that extend and retract viewing distance. You can also set a default in 3Dwarfs prefs file.

There are also other options (such as not showing hidden features) under the... F1 screen that will improve framerate if you turn them off.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 11:15:23 am »

You could dig out a big pit so that you had a 30 Z level tower going up and down...
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 01:24:48 pm »

You could use this guy's worldgen seed.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.