Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FGSFDS.  (Read 3865 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FGSFDS.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 11:09:15 pm »

Revealing magma features tends to screw up magma furnace activation anyway. Just dig some holes. It won't take long.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 11:50:40 pm »

Actually, it can.  Trust me.  Just save scum.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 12:35:35 am »

If you got a pipe, just dig a shaft in the center of the map square the embark says it should be in(local map squares are 48x48 dorfsquares)- you can't miss it then, since it takes up so much of its square.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 04:34:53 am »

The stone sense utility on the DFFD reveals almost a quarter of a region square per tile. That can be very helpful, but if you reveal the obsidian it doesn't automatically reveal the magma itself.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 08:28:58 am »

If you're sure there's magma on the map and you haven't done too much digging, use the trade depot trick. Basically, you simply build a depot and press D to see depot access. The underground layers will flash red except in places where there are your mines, designated mines or hidden underground features. So, if you've got a layer you haven't touched yet, it's quite easy to find magma (provided it exists on the map).
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 08:34:35 am »

I think Fist_of_Armok thinks it is possible to just detect special features without actually digging to them or revealing surrounding terrain. It isn't. But, once you dig even a single square into the feature, it becomes completely visible. So if you were to tunnel down and hit a hidden chasm, then even if it's just one section of wall, you will see the entire chasm.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 09:31:35 am »

I think Fist_of_Armok thinks it is possible to just detect special features without actually digging to them or revealing surrounding terrain. It isn't. But, once you dig even a single square into the feature, it becomes completely visible. So if you were to tunnel down and hit a hidden chasm, then even if it's just one section of wall, you will see the entire chasm.

This is true. I use the Depot method to find where hidden features are then I find the center of the area (24 tiles from all sides) and dig down using stairs untill I hit the feature. This works great and is considerably less digging than most other methods. Except for cave rivers...cave rivers dont always spawn in the center of the tile area finding the dang things are nearly imposible when they're only 10 tiles wide all the fricken way down.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 12:51:54 pm »

Aaah, good. I'll have to use the Depot trick then. Thanks, fellas.
Pages: 1 [2]