Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My computer is deader than a Goblin amongst Giant Molerats  (Read 3910 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My computer is deader than a Goblin amongst Giant Molerats
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 10:25:25 pm »

Well, there's a way to know for sure if it's PSU. Take the PSU out of this old computer you're using and put it in your new one. I don't think PSUs have changed much since the 90's, but check their stats just to be on the safe side.
That's not exactly accurate. The P4 I bought not too long ago had a wimpy 100w PSU. I needed a new one to be able to use my new video card, so I decided to use one out of an older desktop. It turns out that a P4 has a dedicated power connection that older CPUs didn't need, meaning older PSUs can't power new PCs. Unless you did what I did and rig them up to run in parallel.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 10:34:36 pm »

Power requirements on newer processors are pretty high, too, not to mention all the other stuff you might have hooked up like hard drives and graphics cards. Most PSU's don't even have the 8 pin CPU power connector you need for some of today's quad cores.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 03:34:02 am »

Meh, as long as voltages are correct, you can rig it. And I've never seen a PSU under 300W, which should be plenty for most PCs.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 12:12:23 pm »

Sometimes, though, it's not. Whatcha really gotta watch out for is the amperage on them thar twelve volt rails.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 01:27:25 pm »

A serious fail like that is indicative of two things: It's your PSU or mobo.

Power supply units are really dependent on brand and type, NOT wattage. If you're shopping for a new one, don't go nuts on watts. 500 watts is MORE than enough for most people, unless you're ricing up all your shit, crossfire/SLI graphics cards, or wasting tons of energy. MAKE SURE you get a decent/good brand, as fires inside the case are bad.
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3413&p=5
or tom's hardware are god places for comparisons.

If it's the motherboard, well, go with an ASUS or GIGABYTE that works with your processor and RAM. This stuff is dirt cheap nowadays (I don't recommend skimping on a motherboard) but you can easily replace those both for less than $100 on newegg.com if you're in the US.

If you need more help, I suppose we can whip up a new build on there and post it. I work at Frys Electronics so I'm always doing these things... Decent systems can be had for cheap nowadays.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 06:11:06 pm »

A serious fail like that is indicative of two things: It's your PSU or mobo.

My old computer is a factory Compaq SR1820nx with 1 GB of ram and a relatively good Geforce 6600 installed into it, when checking inside the case there was nothing wrong with the motherboard externally such as melting, broken connections, etc, so I highly doubt anything is wrong with it. I haven't taken out the PSU in order to check inside of it for damage, I guess the best thing for me to do would be to go inside of it and check for melted components(?), since the stuff I installed may or may not have, over the years, been slowly overworking it to death.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01:18 pm »

Update: I've just opened up the PSU, it looks normal, except for this yellow stuff melted onto a bunch of areas, there's enough of it to make me think that it's there because they made it that way, I'm not sure.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 07:04:06 pm »

How does it smell? You can usually smell it if it's burned out.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 07:25:05 pm »

It smells like a computer's inner areas, irony, no burnt plastic smell, but that'd probably have gone away after a couple weeks since it originally burned out.

In order to verify, here's some pictures of said 'yellow stuff':

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 09:26:43 pm »

...Yeah, I got nothin'.

I'll ask a compnut at my school what he has to say.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 12:17:25 am »

Opening up the PSU and looking inside isn't going to tell you much. It could have any number of problems that would leave no visual indicator. Also opening up a PSU is extremely dangerous, there could be residual charge built up in some of the capacitors. That could like kill you. Dead.

If it is the PSU your best bet at finding out is putting a known good unit in the case and turning it on. If you have another computer you could try that, if they are the same type, AT versus ATX. There is a pretty good chance that your dinosaur uses an AT while your new rig uses ATX.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.
Pages: 1 [2]