Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McBowBasher, Hunter, has died of thirst  (Read 2042 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Urist McBowBasher, Hunter, has died of thirst
« on: June 17, 2008, 06:08:05 am »

Ok, here's the news.  My hunter was out killing elephants, see?  Only thing was, he ran out of bolts.  Now, we had bolts back at the fort, but seeing how he was already on the "hunt" job, he didn't want to run back.  Now this would all be steak and onions, except he was going for an elephant.  So what happens is this:  He spends his life hitting this elephant around with a crossbow.  Now the beast was unconscious from the few bolts, but the bashing wasn't doing any damage.  Cut to two months later, and the fool dies of thirst next to the unconscious elephant.

This is unintended behavior, correct?

Block

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • http://In progress
Re: Urist McBowBasher, Hunter, has died of thirst
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:15:37 am »

Haha. I can't help but to imagine a dwarf bashing an elephant and yelling "I KNOW YOU'RE NOT DEAD GODDAMNIT!!". Maybe he was just very dedicated to his job  :P. Maybe attackers should get a considerable bonus when they're attacking something that's unconscious. Like performing a coup de grāce or something.
Now with 15% more blockiness!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:23:33 pm »

I'll note it down.  It's odd that the hunt job didn't cancel over the thirst issue.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:52:31 pm »

Perhaps the elephant was triggering some sort of "dangerous enemy nearby" clause that prevented him from doing other jobs (like drinking?)  I can't think of anything else, anyway.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:27:26 pm »

The hunt job should still be cancelled by thirst regardless of anything else, and I don't know why that's happening.  Once the job is cancelled, I can see how there might be some problem, though the attack should still fizzle (since the elephant is a wilderness creature and the former hunter no longer has permission to attack them).  It could be that the dwarf feels cornered, being adjacent to the elephant, and is now in civilian defense mode, but that would assume the hunt job was cancelled.  Actually, I'm not clear on that part.  Did the dwarf still have the cyan "Hunt" job, or had that part turned off?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

phik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:46:16 am »

I AM DYING TO KNOW THE CONCLUSION TO THIS GRIPPY TALE.

Sometimes my hunters wake up in a cold sweat, dreaming that their obsessive compulsion to slay will one day lead to their own parched death, clutching the cracked remains of a former range weapon in their bloody, palsied claws.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:58:27 am »

I AM DYING TO KNOW THE CONCLUSION TO THIS GRIPPY TALE.

Sometimes my hunters wake up in a cold sweat, dreaming that their obsessive compulsion to slay will one day lead to their own parched death, clutching the cracked remains of a former range weapon in their bloody, palsied claws.

The conclusion is that the ranger died of thirst.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!