Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Sebshoskeshan "Hindsight is Elven, but Foresight is Dwarven"  (Read 13225 times)

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sebshoskeshan "Hindsight is Elven, but Foresight is Dwarven"
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:28:08 pm »

"Hindsight is Elven, but Foresight is Dwarven"

Today, this saying is bandied about by the Dwarven race as a moniker of pride. They understand it to mean that only Dwaves look to the future, and build things which would last the thousand ages. Unfortunately for my less learned collegues, they don't understand the full etymology of the phrase.
First of all, the phrase was not started by Dwarves, as is currently held, but by Man. Second, it was not a touchstone of the Age of Myths, but rather dates back all the way to the Age of Heros and the 2nd century P.C. Thirdly, it was not a matter of pride, but of ridicule. In the first age, Dwarves had a tendency toward near-sightedness. While this did make them capable of extremely intricate work, it carried over many times into their personalities. They would embark on mad, foolish ventures, just to say that they did. In a way, the ancient Dwarves were more foolhardy than todays Men.

Which would probably explain why so many of the Ancient Dwarves got themselves killed.

The Dwarvish tendency to barrel headlong into uncharted realms and new enterprises has served us well in the long run, but only after years of natural selection weeded out all but the very most quick witted and intelligent. For example; there exists almost no written record of the earliest Mountainhomes, which today would seem daft. The Mountainhomes dotted many mountains and even some plains and tundras. Surely there would be record? No. The dwarves of that age were mostly illiterate, and those who did write, wrote in either iconographs or highly pidgin runes which sprang up based on individual preference. It was not until I recovered the record of Sebshoskeshan that an accurate cross-section of life in the Mountainhomes could be explored, almost eightteen centuries after its founding.

For the purposes of clarity, all footnotes by the author (Urist McHaistal, myself) will appear italicised for ease of reading.

For purposes of metafiction, all footnotes by the author (JacobGreyson), will appear underlined in some vain attempt to ward off confusion.

(11/13) --(For simplicities sake, I have translated the archaic month names into their modern calendar equivalents)
I found this ledger today, prised from the hands of a Man we found dead in the swamp. I cannot read its contents, ruined by poor penmanship and at least months of wet, but this ledger isn't about the Man's past. It is about our own.
We have been betrayed. If nothing else survives but this account, know that. The Goblin, our once prized rivals and trading partners, have lost themselves to madness. In days of my youth, the greenskins were greeted with wide arms and expensive goods of trade, for they alone of all other races shared our affinity for creation after the Cataclysm -- I was surprised and elated to find a reference to the Cataclysm from one so temporally close to it. -- but now? They have surrendered their erudite ways and become barbarous. The demons are to blame. I wish I knew where they came from, so I could send them back to hell, but that is idle wishing.
Once, my own Mountainhome hosted thousands, which was a mighty deed so soon after the Cataclysm. Now, though, only thirteen survive for sure. Myself and eleven of my dwarfish kind. One human. One goblin, who denounced his savage kind.
There is irony in that. We recieved more succor from a goblin, who now are our sworn enemies, than we did from our own Dwarfish kin.
Lagamasnadar, the erudite goblin, now lies wounded, possibly dying. This forest, nay, mire, is as treacherous as the dwarves who claimed they would come to our aid and then abandoned us. He fell from a small defile and dashed himself on the stones. At the moment, the Man, a woman for her breast and beardlessness, is creating a litter for him. Oh, what cruel fate she must find in order to have been trapped so far from her own kind when the onslaught began! She grumbles in her human tongue, but I know she sees her best survival with us for the time being. The others look to me, now. Absurd. I am just a miner. I was born to swing pick, not lead my betters. Still, we need safety. If they look to me to create it, then I must.

(11/25)
Our numbers dwindle. Lagamasnadar succumbed to his injuries two nights ago. While we wanted to give the last sane goblin in the world a proper burial, we dared not tary long. He now rots in a tiny tomb I dug for him in the soil. It is a pauper's grave, but still, a grave. Others were not so lucky.
Men came through the woods yesterday. At first, we were ecstatic, a reprieve from this hellish wandering. But these were Men of foul intent. They struck down my long time companion Egen, and carried away our own human woman in chains, her weeping pitiously as they went. I do not envy her fate. We are ten, now. Ten, out of thousands. I would write more, but this ledger has already been wet enough for its lifetime.

(12/12)
Finally, some good has come of this dreadful mire. We found a wagon stuck in the bog. Bones of dead Men lay about it. A dire sign, but we needed to rest our weary legs, so we set about as we do best: We fixed the wagon. Its wheels, useless in this swampy terrain, were struck off and runners were put in their stead. It will be a hard pull, but finally we can defend ourselves without loosing all we carry with us to the bog. Since we have no draft animals, our strongest will take turns drawing the cart as we move, ever east. Ever deeper into this terrible place.

(12/20)
Fate must hate our kind. A distemper has afflicted us. Some died quickly, others linger still, but now there are only four ablebodied Dwarves. Those that still stand are myself and three other of the naked-cheeked 'abominations'. Those that died were left to sink into the swamp, to my shame. Nobody would dare touch them even enough for burial. Two more, breath rattling in their throat, now share the wagon with our supplies. Foolish to fear touching their corpse, but not let the yet dying rest next to our precious food, but I haven't the heart to leave the sick behind.
--Now a reference to 'smooth-cheeks'. While now in the nineteenth century it is common and fashionable for a dwarf to be shaven (I only grow my own beard by negligence, not racial pride), in these early days after the Cataclysm, it was considered distinctly unDwarfish to bear a naked face. I wonder if Founder Effect came into effect to make these less hirsuite Dwarves the standard?

(12/28)
My worry was for nothing. She has died and been rolled into the swamp. With that, our numbers are five in total. We count one miner (myself), one forger, one cook from the noble kitchens (when such a thing mattered), a mechanist, and a carpenter who has recovered from this plague. There is good news of a sort, though. We have entered a realm suffused in a thick fog. I can scarcely see this ledger at the end of my arm, so any attempt at pursuit by the demon-maddened goblins is doubtless doomed to failure. I only hope that my pathlaying will not become obvious here. If others survived the slaughter, they will need to follow my path, and laying here so that one marker can be seen from the last might prove impossible. It would also help if I knew where I was going to stop. As it stands, I doubt we can make it much farther before we need to stop. Our stock of alcohol is getting low, and I do not trust the water that pools at our feet.

(01/01)
We can go no further. Our wagon has broken such that none know how to fix. Worse, it did so beside frighteningly unnatural water. The pond at my side boils even now, as though --(the text abruptly changes mid sentence) We are not alone in this Vulgar Forest as I thought. A mason, exiled from the Mountainhomes a year ago has been ekeing an existence with the aid of a local from another clan, who tends farms. The mason was exiled for failing to produce Stirling Silver puzzle boxes, which is so absurd that it reminds me strongly of the life we have all lost. He also had supplies we lacked, namely picks and a rusting but still workable axe. The farmer tells us that he suspects a deposit of magma under the pond, but digging would be impossible with their numbers. This is the end of the line. The others will find us in time, at Sebshoskeshan, the Mire Flames.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Sebshoskeshan "Hindsight is Elven, but Foresight is Dwarven"
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:37:44 pm »

So, community fortress?

Since you haven't mentioned names but have mentioned professions, I assume we can claim dwarves. I claim the mechanic. Call him/her Baugur.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to congratulate you on your writing. It's very good and really creates an atmosphere.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 03:23:37 pm »

Seeing the interesting works of Nist Akath and the Last Fortress, I decided to throw my own hat into the ring and create a community fortress. If you wish to have a Dwarf in the fortress, just ask, and I'll see what I can do. This is not just a fortress, it's also a practice in metafiction; I haven't actually bore down and written anything for a good while, and I need to get back into my fit trim. In essence, this will be a story about a historian discussing a story which happened a long time ago. Foreshadowing and unwanted spoilers will happen. I intend it.

It took me years to track down the location of Sebshoskeshan; millennia of abandonment had not been kind to the site. Most of the structures had sunk back into the swamp. But, I was able to locate the 'boiling pond', and from there, the rest of the structures began to surface as we dug deeper.

Additionally, while no pictures of the party survived nine and a half centuries of disuse, there were carvings in the old tombs which seem to match the account by the then leader. The scene of the dwarves beginning to plan their new home is crude, but gets the point across.

(1/4)
The plan to dig down has hit a snag. There is an aquifer under the dirt. This is infuriating, as we discovered the source of that endless heat. A magma pipe, as we suspected, but it is surrounded by water-drenched sand. I struck upon an idea. Dropping a tube of earth onto the edge of the magma pipe will all allow progress past the encroaching water. If it doesn't get us all killed.

(1/24)
We have reached the magma pipe, but doing so has broken the mechanist's arm when he took a fall. He still managed to do his part in the construction, so I have given him whatever time he needs to recuperate. Now, clear of the aquifer, we can begin digging in earnest. Although, having a source of water so close to a source of magma gives me ideas for the future. As it stands, our numbers are too few to attempt it, but still...
We have erected a bailey outside the entrance to our fortress. It is a small thing, but considering Werewolves have been sighted in the southwest, it will slow such beasts down, in the event that our defences haven't been put in place by then. I worry about chosing this location. An abundance of marble may not be worth the cost of our lives. -- Ironic, considering the fate of several of them.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:57:00 pm by JacobGreyson »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:58:28 am »

Great writing so far I am gona have to get on the community fort bandwagon one of these days.

Anyways for now I'll stick with being a part of them
Name:Flint
Profession:Mason (stonecrafting and building design included please)

Personality:Gruff and with a rough exterior but is reasonably friendly however he is unable to suffer those he labels as fools. He likes to work alone mearly because he believes his skills superior to others. Flint also has a strong dislike for nobility and any who he deems "Stuck up bastards". 

Backround:Once a minor dwarven officer Flint has seen much of the world and the years of blood and death still cause him pain. Flint did distinguish himself on the battlefield however he grew tired of the Dwarven nobility having command over him because of their birthright so  he directly disobeyed an order leading to the defeat of one of the noble commanders. This was not what Flint had planned and more frustratingly the noble had turned tail and left his men for dead, the repricussions were harsh Flint's beard was shaved and he spent much time in prison. After his release he fled his old mountainhomes and met with a group of settlers.

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:53:49 pm »

I'm very angry right now. Sebshoskeshan, for reasons I don't quite understand, has decided to crash every three minutes. Now, I can either engage in a prolonged exercise in masochism (which would be... unlikely) or chalk it up to historical innaccuracy and find a different cite on a different world which doesn't crash every 120 seconds. SINCE I am not a masochist, I will do the latter. Any names claimed will remain so. Just remember that the pop cap is very low on this fort, so there won't be too many immigrants.

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:56:35 pm »

Even the most brilliant of scholars sometimes get things wrong. For example, the site which I had pegged for Sebshoskeshan was not. It was created by Dwarves, particularly those who had come to investigate Urist the Mad Dwarf in the Mountainhome she attempted to dig out by her skill alone. Interesting how one who shares her name would find her tomb. An interesting discovery, and one which will keep the anthropological community abuzz for decades, but not what I was looking for. How this ledger ended up in the swamp, then, becomes a mystery.

Instead of giving up, as a human probably would, I went into further detail, reading the later parts of the ledger. Conversing with geologists and seismologists brought me to the conclusion that no such location existed on this continent. Additionally, the author mentions repeatedly the undead goats which haunt the site. While such creatures were much more ubiquitous in the ancient past when Sebshoskeshan existed, only one such range exists now.

I applied for a second archaelogical grant. Ordinarily, I would have been laughed out, but I had just discovered the infamous home of Urist the Mad, so there was a certain degree of clemency in them. We took a dirigible from New Nist Akath and flew to the potential site. It was remarkable. The wind was killingly cold, but the ground was warm under our feet. Grass grew even in winter, and the water was, if not boiling, then very very hot under its thin skin of ice. I found it quite pleasant. Unpleasant, though, is that the crook of valley had stopped being a mountainhome and more of an active volcano. This does explain the abandonment of Sebshoskeshan, but made the dig a nightmare. Fighting both lava and the still shambling undead (thankfully all animals), will not be easy. Fortunately, we are Dwarves. We don't care about easy. Hell, we don't even care if it's possible. I expect to breach the halls within days.

There. Sebshoskeshan will continue.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:58:36 pm by JacobGreyson »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 12:34:54 am »

JacobGreyson, I like what you've done so far with your writing, the historian's perspective in particular.

I think I'll wait a bit before requesting a dwarf to see where you're going, but I like what I see so far and look forward to more.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:49:18 pm »

Major bonus points for references to some of the 'greats.' Bit of advice though, don't lay them on to thick (level right now is about right).

I'd love a dwarf if you could manage.
Strife:
Job: Warrior.

A wandering hermit, the boisterous Strife came upon the fort and decided to settle there, defending it with his life. While he's there though, he might as well work on his life's work, mastering all of the dwarven weaponry. He is a great promoter of defense, and fully supports (and encourages) advanced forge works and militia units. He won't start a civil war over them though.

((Whenever you're ready for an army. I'd recomend having him master one weapon at a time though, then switiching to a legendary skill for actual combat. I've always like the sword for real work, especially if there is a good stone worker around.))
Even the avatars expire eventually.

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:11 am »

Breaking into the uppermost remaining level of the Tower of Steel (which is currently subterranean after years of lava flow) was an arduous endevour, but proved fruitful. It was assumed that the Tower of Steel was a myth, that no structure which existed so close to the Cataclysm could have construction standards or methods comparable to those which we only now have surpassed. That said, the Tower was amazing. Not large in area, it did show great reinforcement, so it must once have stood very tall. It must have been a design years in the making.

But at the moment, I am looking for the way into the undercity which was described in the journal of the Unnamed Miner.

3/3
Spring is fast coming to a close, and still only one pond in this bog is fluid. This is a harsh cold, and one we must escape from. I have dug a place for us to store our food away from those damnable undead. Today, as Flint was installing a door to the outside world, he beheld a giant eagle which was naught but flying bones. This place is terrible. Luckily, it will give us respite. Only fools or Elves would come to this place.

4/11
The rooms for our people have been completed, such as they are. Our Woodsdwarf companion has fallen into a foul mood, though. He was assaulted by a rotting goat outside the doors, and was forced to unmake it with his axe. He found the episode disheartening, and now spends a worrisome amount of time in his room, staring at the bare walls. I have ordered some quality food made from our stockpile (such as it is) and drink be brewed. I cannot afford to have this refuge fall into an angry madness. I will not.

4/20
Something odd underfoot today. While I was expanding the stockpile, I noticed my feet were sweating. Boots are preciously rare here, as no creatures exist as can be made into leathers, so we seldom use them unless we plan to venture outside. Still, the sand under my feet as I dug was almost scorchingly hot. Indeed, there are quite a few places along the wall of the residental block (such as it is) also expell warmth with great vigor. Digging just west of the residential sector revealed obsidian; it was quite out of place considering the limestone around it. There is magma here. It is a boon for our potential ability to make arms, but my concern is that the stockpiles I was excavating are no mean distance away. Does this entire valley rest inside the caldera of a gargantuanly massive volcano? Pray that sleeping giants rest easy.

4/29
I have made a --several hesitation marks are present discovery. Digging down oblique to the heat under my feet in the stockpile, I discovered part of a structure which looks hand made. The walls are smooth to the touch. Not smooth like we can make stone. Smoother than the best made glass. The walls stretched perhaps three armspans, and were blisteringly hot to the touch with bare skin. Other digs nearby found more of such walls, all blastingly hot. This is a tube. A tube with magma in it. A tube with magma in it which was made before the Cataclysm.

What is this place?

5/10
Much as this place unnerves me, I cannot afford to leave an advantage untapped. I have ordered a magma-forges be created north of the Precursor Tube.

I can only hope that whatever Precursors inhabited this place did not leave the tube free to crawl with imps or worse. A problem lies in that we lack an anvil to make a true forge, but it is a problem to be dealt with another time. More pressing is our lack of food. The current summer saw the ponds nearby finally break open and melt, but knowing that only one season of the year will have freely available water makes me worry. I will have to create some method of perhaps bringing that water underground, or into a spot near the Precursor Tube where it can remain fluid year round.
The Woodsdwarf has recovered from his funk after dining in our new hall. It is larger than we need by a good order of magnitude or two, but once we began, I found myself unable to stop with something 'appropriate' and 'servicable'. Still, the wide space and smooth walls remind us all of a better time. Before the Goblins.

6/6
Our Woodsdwarf seems to be the a magnet for odd and dire circumstances. While felling logs outside our fortress, he spotted an Elf, alone and bleeding in the distance. He went closer, but the Elf went mad and tried to harm our fellow. The Woodsdwarf was forced to smack it with his axe and flee. Everything, it seems, is trying to kill us. For that reason, I ordered the construction of an outwall, which will surround the entire of the forest and which we can force our enemies into traps of our device. It will be a long endevour, but vital, I feel, to the continuity and safety of Sebshoskeshan.

Yes. These pictures were taken later. My attention gets divided and I forget, and dont' feel like going back.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:27:15 pm by JacobGreyson »

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 01:20:02 pm »

I'll claim the woodcutter.  His Name is Keldor, and he was cast out of his original home due to his apparent curse of bringing ill luck.  Ironically, a mere week later, his former home was overrun by the now hostile goblins.  Meeting the refugees form a different settlement, he struck out into the wilds to help build a new settlement, hopefully safe from goblins this time.  It proved to be goblin-free, but this was little consolation to Keldor when, one day as he was returning from woodcutting, he discovered the settlement aflame, with the mighty dragon, Nevirishgamor the Blighted Pineapple, sitting atop the tower, devouring the remains of the dwarves.  Stealing away unnoticed, he wandered the wilderness for a time before coming across the unknown miner and company.

Keldor is a plesant enough fellow, and always seems to be at the right place at the right time to avoid catastrophy.  Still, the said catastrophy seems to follow him, leading those that survive to know him long enough to associate him with bad luck, and shun him, usually just in time to drive him away moments before catastrophy strikes.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 04:34:53 pm »

Are there any dwarves left?

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:07 pm »

7/10
Today I had to break up a fight between Flint and Baugur. It is only the most recent antagonism between the two. In truth, Flint is not getting along well with this outpost's inhabitents. He seems to foster grudges better than I can swing a pick. It's not entirely his fault; with only six other faces to stare at day after day, I imagine it's fairly inevitable. It doesn't help that most of us have lost loved ones in the last months. All of our emotions are on frayed edge.
In other news, our brewery is finally functioning properly, and our brewer has given over the kitchen and started creating wine and ale. We need its welcome distraction. Intoxication will be a welcome respite from the uncomfortable pall which is looming close over this mountain.

7/23
Another day, another fight. Again, it was between Baugur and Flint, as the two seem to butt heads most often of all. This time, the two of them were beating the demons out of each other for a good half hour before the forger came and fetched me. Ironically, it had nothing to do with the fight; the rest of the survivors were watching them and casting wagers over which would get knocked out first. No, I was called because other Dwarves were spotted to the north. I came to see them, and was astounded. Eight of them, bearing tattered robes of faith. They were acolytes and nuns from a temple outside of the city. When it fell, they were forced to flee. One of them spotted my wayposts and found their way to the mire.
I didn't need to ask why they were sent out to that temple. They were smooth-cheeks. All eight of them. The men's beards are sparse and thin, and the women's absent wholely. The irony that they would survive where all others fell is not lost on me. Hah. Speaking of irony. My mentor would have clouted me in the head with a shovel for thinking of irony before iron. We welcomed the survivors into our hall. Flint and I spend a few days digging them out a place to live, but I will not guarantee them comfort. We have little enough of that for ourselves.

8/11
Keldor has spotted Elves again when he was collecting wood in the South. The North is a no-dwarfs'-land ever since that skeletal eagle took up residence in the northern forest. Nobody wants to have to deal with that abomination, and I don't blame them. The thing is terrifying. Not as terrifying as the implication of the Elves, though. There were five of them, their clothes spattered with vomit and blood. They attacked Keldor as soon as saw, and Keldor had to flee at great speed as they pursued, and only left when Keldor felled them as he had so many of their precious trees in the past. Two were said to have escaped. Keldor's axe now stands bloody outside the door to his room. The newcomers are afraid of Keldor, I feel. Personally, I am afraid that the Elves might return in force. But not soon. The winter is closing in, and with it, life outside this valley stops.

9/1
Baugur approached me today with a concern I find valid. The doors to the compound, such as they are, are very vulnerable to attack, and neither our numbers nor our skill could protect us from the green hoard, or from the crazed Elves. I mandated the construction of traps outside our door. It is a partial solution at best. We need to find some way to channel our foes into the traps... I think some creative construction is in order.

9/9
The walls have been altered slightly to force incomers to a fairly narrow corridor before heading into our doors. The jeweler arranged to throw a party in the dining hall, but immediately complained to me that there weren't enough chairs or tables. Of course there weren't; the hall played host to a half dozen only two months ago. Flint went to work rectifying this problem. Of course, he wasn't invited. I think his reputation is beginning to precede him. I might need to intervene in this matter before he starts punching nuns.

9/15
Our forge is complete. Metalworking can proceed as we need it. The only problem now is that we have nothing to make that we can't already make out of stone. We have no need for armors or weapons, since there are not enough of us to form a militia, nor anybody with relevant skills. As well, since we're not trying to do anything bizzare with the magma we have no need for iron pumps. Our forger is getting antsy; we have already found one massive deposit of magnetite, so we have no lack for iron.

9/25
More Bauxite. Everywhere I look, bauxite. I swear to whatever gods put us in this place, if I see one more wall of Bauxite in this godforsaken bolt-hole, I am going to smack --handwriting changes abruptly here Flint is complaining about the surfeit of bauxite again. One would think he's allergic to it the way he goes on. I consider it something of a boon; knowing we can make mechanisms and devices which can survive magma immersion is something of a comfort. Of course, not all see it this way. In other news, I've mandated a paper-works be made down near the farms. This ledger only has a few pages left open, and it is not optimised for our writing. Proper, Pigtail papyrus should be in the works in no time at all. I can only hope. Now, I need to find something for Flint to do before he picks a fight with that statue he just made... out of bauxite.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:39:08 pm »

Yay, update!
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 01:43:14 pm »

snip
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:31:03 am by Maggarg - Eater of chicke »
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 01:49:25 pm »

The list of people claimed thus far is as such:
Baugur: The Mechanist
Keldor: The Woodsdwarf
Flint: The Miner/Mason (sorry about his personality. He genned with two grudges, and I ran with it)
The Unknown Miner: Viewpoint
Strife: a Soldier (not yet present)

Those NOT claimed, are as follows.

Metalsmith (F)
Craftsdwarf (F)
Fisherdwarf (M, Married to...)
Furnace Operater (F)
Furnace Operater/Herbalist (F, different from above)
Cook/Brewer (F, Lover of...)
Farmer (M)
Miller/Engraver (M)
Wood Burner (F)
Peasant (F)

And the Cataclysm ended at year 0. No dwarf who lived through it is alive today. I'll go into further detail as to what the Cataclysm was as the story continues. The short of it is it's why the Elves are nuts and trying to kill everybody in this world, and only about 5000 sentient beings survived it to start breeding and junk at world-gen.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:02:36 pm by JacobGreyson »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8