Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I got what I paid for  (Read 1946 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
I got what I paid for
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:11:27 pm »

My parents have had, for a very long time, a barely functioning TV sitting in the living room.  Something has gone horribly wrong with it, and you can barely watch it for more than an hour.  They've been using a smaller, old TV instead, but recently a work friend got a new plasma screen TV, and was going to give their obscenely large rear-projection TV away for free.  My parents got it, we all nearly died trying to get it in the house(And I almost broke my arm), and they decided to give me the other TV.  It's not as big as the new old TV we have(That one is insane.  It's more a Stargate to Hollywood than a television)  But it's still quite large and flatscreen. 

However, as I said before.  It's broken.  I put up a question on Yahoo answers about it but got nothing, and now I'm going to tap into the massive intellect of the bay12 community.  Anyone have an idea of what I can do?  Here's the entry I put on Yahoo Answers:

What is causing my flat screen TV to flicker and lose color?

I have a Toshiba flat screen television, and shortly after getting it several problems arose. They're not all apparent when the TV is first turned on, but after an hour or so it gets progressively worse until it becomes difficult to watch the television.

The first thing that is apparent when the TV is turned on is the color problems. Areas with gradient shading have obvious boundaries between shades, instead of being a smooth transition through colors. Red objects are only red on the edges. The middle is an orange color. This gets worse over time until the edges are dark orange and the middle is a yellowish orange.

After several minutes the screen begins to flicker. This is especially noticeable in black areas, around the edges of the screen, and lettering. It very rapidly goes between the regular coloration and slightly lighter coloring. This becomes more noticeable over time.

These problems are annoying, but they don't seriously detract from the viewing experience. The final problem, which appears after about an hour and rapidly gets worse, is where a greenish image of whatever is on the screen appears for a very small fraction of a second and disappears. At first this will happen once or twice per minute, but after around five minutes it's happening as much as the screen flickering.

Does anyone know what is causing this, and what steps are needed to fix it? Thanks.
Shoes...

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I got what I paid for
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:21:59 pm »

I had this problem with a TV once, we just consigned it to the scrap heap and gave up on it. I believe it was caused by one of the internal parts (Picture tube? Not sure what its called) being broken.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:28:01 pm »

Yeah, those symptoms mean there might be something wrong with the cathode tube. The only problem is, LCDs don't have those. It is an LCD flat screen, right?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:28:42 pm »

Solution: sell on Ebay. ;D
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 04:42:24 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's LCD.
Shoes...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 04:48:07 pm »

It could be some sort of physical damage. You know, like what happens when you squeeze a calculator's screen a bit too hard? If it's that, it ain't worth repairing it. Could be something else, though. Have a TV repairman take a look at it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 04:53:48 pm »

Solution: sell on Ebay. ;D

TV with a real ghost in it! Only $300!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 08:19:16 pm »

Talk to it! Shake the screen and see it get angry! Unplug it, remove the screen and pay it a visit!

Note: The seller is not responsible for any Pain, Injury, Debt, Damage of Public or Private property, arsony, battery, assault, blindness, hearing loss, abstract details, creepy noises, growling cats, explosive head aches, or DEATH...caused by the TV in question. If you think your TV is haunted, call 555-7164. Thank you.

Sucker.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 07:39:50 am »

Try yelling and cursing at it.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 08:04:46 am »

Well, LCD doesn't use cathode tubes, but crystals instead.
Mind you, if it spent an excessive amount of time near a powerful magnet, then it is screwed, unless you manage to replace the liquid crystals-- which consumerism is very much against making it easy-- which is going to cost an arm and a leg (and quite possibly a nut as well).

The straight forward way is to buy a new one, and keep it away from any electronic device that has a motor. (ie. everything except lights and a sound fridge)