Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: DF awesome construction contest! best site ever inside!  (Read 12005 times)

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF awesome construction contest! best site ever inside!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 03:30:00 am »

THats my location alright, but I do not haev such a big location. Mine is only 6 high i think.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 06:21:41 am »

Oh Quift you just destroyed, DESTROYED, my productivity today!

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 09:02:48 am »

ok i need a suggestion on what the hell to do with this place

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 09:20:31 am »

ok i need a suggestion on what the hell to do with this place

1. Turn it into the largest glass exporting fort known to dwarf

2. Build a glass tower on top of the mountain, wait I might do that !

3. Fill the chasm with water and magma at the same time!

4. Build a new mountain to prove that what ever nature does dwarfs can do better!

or just have fun!

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 10:28:36 am »

All of the above?

I'm planning on rebuilding that entire corner of the fort with an olivine fortress the bottom 4-5 levels, and then a glass and steel city above. The interior of the magma pipe will be adjusted to a perfect circle from the lowest level up 4 levels, and relined with orthoclase (yellow against the red magma below). Every dwarf will live in an appartment together with his wife and servants (haulers living togethern with a craftdwarf), most of the rooms windowed with a view down the magma chasm. I will also build an aqueduct over the chasm from the river and build some nice waterworks, aswell as a magma moat and what not.

Much of the mountain will be excavated and turned into a huge royal palace spanning 12 z-levels, with windows to the outlaying area around the mountain, and then I will have another mountain, a chasm, and everything beneath ground layer to play with.

I also considering remaking the top of the montain into a giant glass dome structure. and I want to build something grandiose with black obsidian monoliths, so I will have to put some thoguhts on were to get those.

Water heating, magma falls, and giant hallways lined with native cave spider carpets should also be doable. I'm gonna try to do all of it.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 06:54:45 pm »

all-economic stone mod?
Can some some one post a Link?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 07:43:12 pm »

Quift i have some important questions and also a couple of ideas for you

first up the questions  ;D

1 i have to have comfirmation that there is no other civ but dwarfs this is extremly important for plans.

2. is there any way anyone knows the ammount of lumber + Iron + lignite/ coal i can get from the starting site of 6 by 5 again important i need a realitvly high ammount of the rocks  but i also need all the wood i can get my greedy dwarfy hands on to craft alot of dwarven goods and tools.

3 (optional) a fair to under average bit of cheap metal perhaps? (copper etc)

4 is there any way i could get my hands on HFS close to the start loc? its not extremly nessacarly but  actualy i was thinking high value mechanisms that are magma proof (think buaxite, but much, much, much more valueable.

5 nothing important but how bigs the chasm? is it a snowflake or continous?

all of these i really do need know beacuse if these are all good with my plan we might have a location for one of my extremly complex plans that i have been devising for a while

Finally to end of ideas
i have a couple of ideas that will do this fort perfect

1 The king has assigned you to create a network of extremly high usage road bridges (were talking 30 wide people! if not more( if you do try to go 50 wide for bonus points! )) with a underslung piping system of water at the very minimum of 15 wide( expand in conjunction with bounus point option of 50 to 25) and just beacuse he likes big things (and shiny ones at that) he wants ( per bridge) at least one colum ( supporting the bridge), two gaurd towers 5 + z levels high with a high priced metal walkway leading in between them at the top ( steel +) and for even more kicks (and bonus points) have a fountain constructed in the middled of the bridge thats spurts water (from the pipes bellow) up 3 z level

PHEW that was a mouth full

( any more bonus point ideas apreacieted for either mega progect, ohh yeah i forgotwas being mean and just said now that these are supposed to be epic:) )

2. construct a statue like the Colossus of Rhodes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_of_Rhodes

Be creative though do sompthing more dwarfy and also be origional, bounus points if it somhow involves recreaton of bleeding or sompthing along those lines using magma

Well good luck everybody i have my own mega project in mind. I cant say to much about it but i will say we will have some very great scientific results if it works

Again good luck to everybody, may the ideas flow like water
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:50:45 pm by aaaabaaccaadfda »
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »

hmm this starting location, because it has so many units and Z levels goes very slow even when you've just started

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 02:09:21 am »

gerkin i have acess to some of the fastest stuff you can get your hands on ( think double quad core) so i can handle that no proplem, but anyway whats the number of z levels? that way i can know in advance wether i can do my *ahem* project  8)

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 03:42:21 am »

hmm this starting location, because it has so many units and Z levels goes very slow even when you've just started

I think that is more related to the 9 pages of critter. It speeds up slowly once you start throwing them down the chasm.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 12:10:10 pm »

gerkin i have acess to some of the fastest stuff you can get your hands on ( think double quad core)

So. When did DF start running on multiple cores?

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 02:24:41 pm »

gerkin i have acess to some of the fastest stuff you can get your hands on ( think double quad core) so i can handle that no proplem, but anyway whats the number of z levels? that way i can know in advance wether i can do my *ahem* project  8)

Just to give an idea on z levels  your start on level - 36 :o and the chasm is very big several screen lenghs long holds like 5 screens of critters ;D

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 06:32:29 pm »

Zorg i can assign multiple cores to work on one project and i can whole lota power that way

sounds big engouch Marine, and a bloodfest, dwarfven style, anyone?

guys can i get my questions answered i really need to meet the requirments for these for my science project ( no no not real life, but for the good of dwarven science)

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 07:13:46 pm »

Zorg i can assign multiple cores to work on one project and i can whole lota power that way

Everything I've heard says DF & multiple cores doesn't work. Certainly doesn't on my box.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 06:45:24 am »

Everything I've heard says DF & multiple cores doesn't work. Certainly doesn't on my box.

He might mean (and this is rather dwarfy in itself) that he runs DF in a virtual machine that has 4+cores assigned to it but only emulates 1 processor. Automatic load-balancing. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5