Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DF awesome construction contest! best site ever inside!  (Read 12006 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF awesome construction contest! best site ever inside!
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 06:58:33 am »

He might mean (and this is rather dwarfy in itself) that he runs DF in a virtual machine that has 4+cores assigned to it but only emulates 1 processor. Automatic load-balancing. :)
Now how does one do that?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 09:56:52 am »

So it looks like a normal circular open chasm, but the lower half of it is full of magma
Sounds like a nice location, only...
won't this cause massive slowdowns as the magma keeps pouring into the chasm?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 10:32:39 am »

You think of it the worong way, it's a magma pit wich streches upward. Like a dead volcano with magma at the bottom.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 11:44:41 am »

guys can i get my questions answered i really need to meet the requirments for these for my science project ( no no not real life, but for the good of dwarven science)

There is not much wood i am afriad because of the mountains and desert, there are kobolds at least so not just dwarfs. As far as cheap metal goes there is nickel around the start location. Cannot help on HFS want that to be a suprise for myself.

Edit: Just had some dirty elves arrive!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:11:14 pm by MarineMorton »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 01:40:30 pm »

Ah, you did not mean 'chasm' as the game feature of the same name, but as the synonym to 'crevasse', 'cliff' or anything that means 'very deep pit with steep sides, which is certainly not bottomless'. :)

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Warringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 03:08:33 pm »

While trying to get this beauty of a starting point to play with my own set of dorfs, I don't seem to be able to get the exact location done. Sure everything else looks about right, but I don't manage to get the vulcano done, even after about ten tries with the seed...

Anyway, Quift, thanks for the 'linux version'. Now I don't need to run it with wine... :p

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 08:13:23 pm »

thats exactly what im doing corvvs but im doing that with 8 (yes EIGHT) cores of 3.2ghz (im prety sure on the speed) anyway HFS is not really needed as i said but what is needed, is iron, and heaps of it, you see i need to have either a huge iron or steel industry ( im talking heavy factory like ammounts of I/S production). Trees i need beacuse of some specific requirements. Kolbolds are handable (if of course they dont raid in huge ammounts at the very start( or if you start next to a gaurd with all civilian dwarfs( i have unfortuantly experinced both these events ))). And aparently areyar we do actualy have a "chasm" of which im refering to the game term. Remember that chasms come in two types a 'Snowflake' and a fault/ rip in the earth. In my experince you get one of each in every mountain tile. There was a desert?

Oh and Ivefan i do that via overclocking menu in the bootup menu (sorry i've forgoten the name)

And elves? how did they get there? aparently theres no civs apart from dwarfs in civ set up menu

Zorg (to seperate again) imagine runing all the cores together to form one "core" thats what im doing i think your geting mixed up. Other programs automaticly reconcnise multi core units and thus assign different tasks to the cores. Dwarf fort doesnt do that, so to use all of your cores you have to combine all their power into 1 core and dwarf fort uses that artifical "core" or cpu as a whole, i however assign 7 cores to dwarf fort and leave my other core for running my OS/ websites ( handy if i want to fire up the wiki etc)
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 08:31:37 pm »

I doubt you. A man who cannot consistently capitalize, punctuate, and continually drops letters off my name is unlikely to have found out a way to run DF on multiple cores in my book. I'm calling BS on this until you list the instructions on how exactly one does this and it is confirmed by multiple other users. Should work for two or four cores as well as eight.

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 09:18:04 pm »

Sorry appologies i have got confuesed talking to my father ( who actualy has the machine i'm refering to, I have experence in programing, yet very small amount in hardwear terms. I missunderstood him, and was not making logical sence. (i'll explain later in the topic what i was talking wrongly about))

Anyway talking to my father if i wanted to get 24.6 ghz out of his 8 cores the programm (Dwarf Fortress)  would simply have to be programmed to reconise multiple cores, and run with them. Now unfortunatly for all us DF fans, DF is writen like any other programm would be writen, and that is to only work with one individual processor or 'core'.

What i was doing is geting confused, you see i had an idea i had vaguely heard about somewere about combining 2( or more) 'cores' to form one (artificial core) of which i was apposlutly wrong about beacuse you canot 'create' a 'core' from scratch

as to my age, put it this way i'm still in highschool (so yes im not a 'man').

As mentioned above, if toady managed to programm for multiple cores thats when i could access that kind of power, until he does no one has a hope in hell for the kind of power i was describing
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:21:48 pm by aaaabaaccaadfda »

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 10:33:18 pm »

Ill reveal what im planing to do with this fortress once its confirmined as a good site for what im going to do. Look to this post and you'll know what im going to do

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29459.15

If you still dont know look here

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seko Ndary

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 02:56:59 am »

Warringer,

I think I had the same problem you're describing. What fixed it for me was installing both the cat fix and the stone selector mod. Before I installed those two I wasn't getting the magma either, (although I did get a chalk layer showing up on the embark screen, which irritatingly disappeared when I installed the mods).

Cat fix is here
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Cat_cancels_Store_Item_in_Stockpile:_Too_injured

Stone selector is here
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=11

aaaabaaccaadfda,

I don't think this is the site your looking for. 
As it has no sedimentary layer it wont have much Iron ore, and there wont be any bituminous coal or lignite.
Which means that most of the iron on this map will come from goblin droppings, and that your ability to make steel is dependant on your limited supply of wood. Wood that you will also need if you want to make clear or crystal glass, or beds for that matter.
If you want to be 100% sure though, why don't you make a copy of the site and run reveal on it?
( although if you do that, I would appreciate it if you put any info you decide to share in a spoiler, as I'm going to be playing on this site in a while and there's some things I'd rather not know about until I stumble upon them)

Hope that helps you both.

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 03:09:25 am »

thanks seco, have you read what im going to do? Well i must admit that was the biggest thing i was going to do ( i have annother few (by few i mean 2 large pad refils of drawings and plans that i hope to do)) the lack of wood is anyoing but it could be replaced with glass in my computer, although on second thoughts i might miss it, ohh well time to hunt for another great place

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 04:05:13 am »

Anyone care to dump this into 3Dwarf and post a screen cap of the birds-eye view?

I'm lazy, I know... I was kind of hoping someone else does what I do and inspect the layout of the land in 3Dwarf before beginning any builds.  It gets tiring loading up a map, extracting it, reviewing in 3Dwarf then abandoning.  Sometimes I like to get a birds eye to see where a good spot for a front entrance would be as well (places well defended naturally, places to build access bridges with deep pits, etc.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Warringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 10:38:01 am »

Warringer,

I think I had the same problem you're describing. What fixed it for me was installing both the cat fix and the stone selector mod. Before I installed those two I wasn't getting the magma either, (although I did get a chalk layer showing up on the embark screen, which irritatingly disappeared when I installed the mods).

Cat fix is here
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Cat_cancels_Store_Item_in_Stockpile:_Too_injured

Stone selector is here
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=11

No, that is not what I meant. I have already copied the raws from the uploaded df_linux Quift put up. I meant that I don't have this nice vulcano at the position, neither do I have the overflowing list of gnomes and goblins.

All I have at said embark point is a mangmapit at groundlevel without any vulcano shift over it, neither do I have even the lightest gnome/goblin on the map...

All I would like to have is the map without having to resort to abandoning and retake the fortress... :/

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 10:52:09 am »

But why are you trying to generate the with the seed then? I have uploaded the entire save. You should just have to download the linux df, and then execute df.exe and use the saved game? Have you tried that? Should work without any problem.

The cat fix and stone selection mod is if you want to use just the uploaded save, in your already existing df install.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5